TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Can only charge at 99%

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by gimmi80, May 7, 2016.

1. gimmi80

gimmi80 Member

Lately I can only charge up to 99%.
    I used to be able to charge 100% but not anymore.
    I've tried both the slider on the iPhone app as well as the center display.
    When I recieved my 70D the 100% was 232miles now the 99% is 228 miles.

What could it be?
    I thought even with degradation of battery it would still show 100% at full charge

2. DFibRL8R

DFibRL8R Member

The car should still charge to 100% if you leave it charging long enough. When you get up to 99%, the battery pack starts to "balance" very slowly which can take a while. There are several threads on pack balancing on TMC. As for degradation of range, the most seems to happen during the first year then the rate slows after that.

3. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Are you charging up to 100% every day?

4. UberEV1

UberEV1 Member

If you have been maintaining high charge levels for a long time, it might help to let the battery pack drop below 20% so that the capacity calculations can re-calibrate.

5. gimmi80

gimmi80 Member

I charge at 100% once a week when I have a 280 miles commute. On that same trip I get down to 5-10% then I charge at A supercharger then I get back home with 15% battery left.
    Daily I charge at 75%

I don't know exactly how long it has been sitting at 99% and plugged it. I move the battery charge level to 100% the night before and in the morning was at 99%.

So the following week instead of using the iPhone app to move the charging limit bar I used he dash and the following morning was also at 99%.
    I would say on both instances the car has been sitting at that level at least 5-6 hours overnight.
    I normally plug it at 9pm and I should have reached full charge around midnight or 1am.

6. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

The 99% is just from vampire drain then.

I would use the timer so that it will finish closer to your departure time.

7. gimmi80

gimmi80 Member

Today ileft the car plugged in charging 24 hours and still got to 99 % only.

I've experienced vampire drain when the car is unplugged for a long time (even if minimal) however my schedule did not change over the past few months and the day of the long commute I used to find the car at 100%...

I've a service coming up I will ask the tech about it.

8. Electric700

Electric700 Member

Good suggestion. If the charge completes a half hour before the car will be used, that will be much better for the battery.

9. travwill

travwill Member

That is definitely odd. My 70D started new at 242, dropped to 240, and right now is 236 after a year. May pop back up some I think in warmer weather months and with newer more optimistic software for now. Then again, it always seems to drop faster than rated anyway so isn't really accurate.

I've done 3-5 100% charges I'd say. First couple took a long time to get to 100%, almost 30 minutes on one, an hour or so on another, charging at around 1amp or so for a while - had to give up even. The last few made it to 100% pretty immediately though.

10. gimmi80

gimmi80 Member

This has somehow magically fixed itself.
    I have a service appointment scheduled for tomorrow, but over the past few days I've been able to charge at 100% with no problem and range is up to 234. I've been on a long road trip over the holiday weekend and I charged at multiple destination chargers and superchargers @100%.
    Maybe it was just a balancing issue that needed a very slow long charge to accomplish it.

11. msnow

msnow Active Member

This same thing has happened to me twice in the last 3 months and it recalibrated itself eventually. Weird.