Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can only open Charge Port with Android App. No LEDs. Locking Pin slow to release.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I have a 2017 Tesla Model S in which the Charge Port door opens but no Indicator lights, also the locking pin takes 12-15 seconds to drop down (unlock) before the charging cable can be inserted. Once the charging cable (Home Charger, Supercharger, etc..) is installed it charges fine. Finally, I ordered and installed a new charging port ($500) and it does the same thing. It was then that I noticed that if you use the Android App (latest version) not only does the door open immediately, the LED lights on the charge port work again and the pin drops faster (but not instant). What? Wait, its gets stranger... the locking pin releases instantly whether you use the button on the cable, the app, the screen to unlock, etc..

Today, 2 months after the installation of the new charge port APP is the ONLY way I can open the charge port (unless I open the trunk and use the emergency unlock feature). None of the other methods work to open the door. I can use any method to stop charging (unlock), but only the app lets me open the door to charge. So if I am without my phone I can't charge it. Sure I can use the emergency port to drop the pin but the electronics will not allow it to charge until the app tells the system "unlock", no other methods work. Bad ECM or firmware bug?

The hardware is ok because it all works when you use the app (less the locking pin being slow to drop). Funny because once you start charging and then you hit the button on the power cable the unlock pin instantly drops, we know the hardware is ok in the charging port based on these symptoms.

to Recap...

Symptoms
Can't Open Charge Port door with one Screen Unlock
Can't Open Charge Port door with Any Charge Cable button
Can't Open Charge Port door with Remote

IF you force open the door, you can't insert the cable as the locking pin is up in place
IF you use emergency locking pin release in the trunk, you can put cable in but of course it will not charge

Android App
If you use the Android App you can open the door, the locking pin will eventually drop (12-15 seconds later) and LED's work, and charges fine. You can then UNLOCK using any method (Screen, Remote, Cable, App, etc..) and pin drops out instantly. It will shut the door after the cable is removed and some time passes (a few seconds). But once the door is shut you can't open it again unless you use the app.

I have rebooted the car, removed battery and let it set 10 minutes, even went into service mode and did a reload... I think this is a Firmware bug

I am starting to wonder if it was a good idea to buy a Tesla. Some solved problems in normal cars - like a mechanical gas filler cap - have been "un-solved" by the folly of Tesla designers. Yeah, a remote fuel-cap opening, that's something I definitely need to be able to do from the comfort of my bedroom or maybe when I'm 6 blocks down the street. Makes total sense! Not ...

Upvote 0
Cause no other option was working. 2017 has the emergency release from trunk? I tried to find mine didn't see anything
On the early years, it did not exist. Later they added the release, but you had to pull the carpet away to get to it. Later still, they made a carpet cover (about 3" x 4") behind the charge port that you popped out to get to the release. It's not very visible, but with good light, you'll see it. With the 2021+ LR/Plaid, it's a small ring you pull - no need to remove any carpet. See Page 168 of the manual for instructions and cautions (for the 2021+). The 2017 manual didn't show the release option, but I don't think it was in the manual back then.

Upvote 0