Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can owners that purchased $2K AP confirm if Auto Lane Change is included please?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

First time posting. I have been reading mixed postings regarding the new $2K AP regarding Auto Lane Change when using the blinker stick. Can owners that actually purchased and finally got the new $2K AP update installed chime in if that is in fact included or not? Thanks!

• Helpful
Reactions: GSP
Today was my first day of driving my $2000 autopilot Model 3. When on a divided 4 lane highway by myself, I put the turn signal on. It didn't change lanes. I had to turn the steering wheel a bit, which kicked off autopilot, then I had to depress the gear shifter not one time, but TWO TIMES, to turn autopilot back on!! First world problems!:eek:

Ah, it's not that big a deal, but it was a nice little feature in my most recent V.9 free trial.

Auto lane change is not included. Some users in another thread said that instead activating the turn signal disengages autosteer, but I have not found that to be the case on my car either. That WOULD be helpful as an alternative...
I just got the $2k AP and that’s what mine does. Put the signal on and it disengages autostwer but keeps TACC on so you can change lanes. You then have to turn AP back on once lane change is complete or it’ll just stay on TACC.

• Helpful
Reactions: JBT66
Is AP suppose to include it or is it different for the 2k deal? Or is that only with EAP? That is super lame if it doesn't. Hopefully it's just a bug.
Not a bug. What Tesla is currently selling as Autopilot only includes TACC and the Auto Steer function, which has always been a function that automatically maintains position in a lane.

Auto Lane Change came along later, it was included in EAP but with the recent change is now part of FSDC.

Read the text at the upper right of this screen capture and note the words “...within its lane”.

41B2AF04-803E-42BB-9736-25D83FBCB6FE.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: Chancellor32
I just got the $2k AP and that’s what mine does. Put the signal on and it disengages autostwer but keeps TACC on so you can change lanes. You then have to turn AP back on once lane change is complete or it’ll just stay on TACC.
This sounds like a big improvement over EAP lane changing which seems to take forever and abort for no reason. They should add this option to EAP cars! Maybe they could make the auto steer automatically reengage after a manual lane change too.

Reactions: gavine and ord3r
I now see the $2,000 AP and $3,000 FSD purchase options on my account.. when I had the 30 day ‘Enhanced’ Autopilot trial, I actually used only the basic features available in the current basic $2,000 Autopilot option now. When I used the Navigate on Autopilot beta, I noticed in heavy traffic, the automated lane change worked haphazardly, a few times literally ‘jerking’ back into the original lane when it detected any sudden movements in the sensors or radar. I rather have manual control of this function until they work out all the bugs.

I suspect that’s pretty much the idea.

Autopilot is basically a gateway drug now. Cheap upfront, then you realize that you really want those few things only present in FSD. You realize that you already spent $2K so maybe it is easier to justify the additional cash to upgrade versus paying that single big payment that post-purchase EAP required.

Yall should have bought FSD

Reactions: Vitaman
Not a bug. What Tesla is currently selling as Autopilot only includes TACC and the Auto Steer function, which has always been a function that automatically maintains position in a lane.

Auto Lane Change came along later, it was included in EAP but with the recent change is now part of FSDC.

Read the text at the upper right of this screen capture and note the words “...within its lane”.

View attachment 385986

Yeah I see that. It's just confusing to also show ALC as part of Auto Pilot over on the model 3 info page. They should show it separately as part of FSD in the FSD section of the info page since it's not part of AP.