Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can paint haze over time?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Almost exactly a year ago I was driving on the highway when an SUV at least 1/4 mile ahead of me released a huge chunk of ice and snow from it's roof. It flew way up in the air, and unlucky for me smashed into the middle of my hood, leaving a huge dent. I ended up going to the local Tesla body shop for a new hood and paint to match my Red Model S.

Everything looked great when I picked up my car. However, now, 1 year later, my hood looks hazy and orange peeled compared to the rest of my car. Can something like this happen to new paint and clearcoat, or am I imagining it?

Yes this can, and does, happen frequently. Your new paint just isn't as good quality as the factory and now it's starting to show.
It may be able to be improved with paint correction by a professional, but oftentimes this is more expensive than a quality repaint on that panel. Plus, removing enough clearcoat to reduce the orange peel you're seeing also shortens the lifespan of the (now established poor quality) paint.
I would get the opinion of a reputable certified detailer in your area before taking it back to the body shop and see what they'll offer you. Although I'm hesitant to recommend returning to a body shop that couldn't do the job correctly the first time, you might get them to repaint it.

Something similar happened to me. I bought the car used, and didn't know it hat body work done prior. Over time, two areas on the hood started "cracking" - but it looked as if it was below the clear coat.

The people at the local Tesla service center said they don't cover paint work, but didn't tell me that they had records of parts being bought for the car by a body shop.

At another service center, they took a closer look and determined that the hood had been repainted. They looked-up my car, found that lots of parts had been ordered, and gave me the name of the shop. Contacted them, and they repainted the hood at no cost. Otherwise it would have been $2500, including blending the fenders.

Reactions: JasontheBeaver