Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can passengers enter the 3rd row if there are 2 child seats (w/kids) in the 2nd row?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think that is the idea - at the reveal, in Elon's car, I saw a young kid (maybe 5) sitting in the middle row and someone in the back moved that seat forward to exit - the kid did not have to move!

That's great to hear. I'll be replacing my wife's GL450 with a Founders X, and this will be a huge improvement. Currently if we have two child seats in the 2nd row, the 3rd row is inaccessible unless someone climbs in through the back,

That's great to hear. I'll be replacing my wife's GL450 with a Founders X, and this will be a huge improvement. Currently if we have two child seats in the 2nd row, the 3rd row is inaccessible unless someone climbs in through the back,
Yep. Same on our Highlander Hybrid, but we don't need car seats or even booster seats any more (we were still using booster seats when I put the deposit on the X, but I digress...).

With the Model X 6-seat configuration, you can get back to the third row without even moving the second row seats. But even in the 7-seater, the second row seats slide far enough forward that passengers can get access to the third row while kids are still strapped into the second row. The wide Falcon Wing Doors definitely help there. Another thing I prefer about the X is that you can get out of the third row on either side by sliding the appropriate second row seat forward. On the Highlander, you can only get out of the rear seats on the right side as that's the one that tilts and slides forward. My kids usually prefer climbing out the back.

In the unveiling video, they showed people getting out of the third row with a kid in a car seat in the second row...HOWEVER, that car seat was forward-facing. I'm really curious to know if adults can get into the third row with a rear-facing car seat in the second row!

Hmm, rear facing seats do take up a lot of horizontal space. Even in my mini van, I have to move the drivers seat forward if I need to install the car seat behind it. And I can't move the drivers seat all the way back. I imagine it'd be a problem in the X too from what I've seen so far. The 3rd seat occupants might have to enter or leave from the other side of an installed single rear facing seat. If you need 2, perhaps 1 rear facing seat in 2nd and 1 in 3rd might be the way to go.

Hmm, rear facing seats do take up a lot of horizontal space. Even in my mini van, I have to move the drivers seat forward if I need to install the car seat behind it. And I can't move the drivers seat all the way back. I imagine it'd be a problem in the X too from what I've seen so far. The 3rd seat occupants might have to enter or leave from the other side of an installed single rear facing seat. If you need 2, perhaps 1 rear facing seat in 2nd and 1 in 3rd might be the way to go.

thanks...I don't think any cars with a third row work well with two rearfacing car seats!!

The following text is copy and pasted from the Model X manual. Can someone with an X confirm that the 1st row seats move forward during Easy Entry (both without and with carseats in the 2nd row)?

Accessing Third Row Seats
Model X makes it easy for passengers to enter and exit the optional third row seating positions. Press the Easy Entry button located on the backrest of each second row outside seat. The associated outside seat's backrest tilts forward and the seat moves fully forward. The center seat also moves partially forward.
If one of the seats is occupied when easy entry position is initiated, both seats move partially forward, but only as far as an occupant in the seat can move forward when using the seat's comfort adjustment. In situations where a child safety seat is installed in a second row seat that must move forward for easy entry, and an occupant is not detected in the front seat directly in front of the child safety seat, the front seat moves forward to accommodate forward movement of the second row seat with the child safety seat.
If a front row seat is positioned such that the second row seat will collide with it during an easy entry operation, it automatically moves forward just enough to accommodate the forward position of the second row seat.
Note: Forward movement cancels if an occupant adjusts a second row seat while it is moving.

The following text is copy and pasted from the Model X manual. Can someone with an X confirm that the 1st row seats move forward during Easy Entry (both without and with carseats in the 2nd row)?

Accessing Third Row Seats
Model X makes it easy for passengers to enter and exit the optional third row seating positions. Press the Easy Entry button located on the backrest of each second row outside seat. The associated outside seat's backrest tilts forward and the seat moves fully forward. The center seat also moves partially forward.
If one of the seats is occupied when easy entry position is initiated, both seats move partially forward, but only as far as an occupant in the seat can move forward when using the seat's comfort adjustment. In situations where a child safety seat is installed in a second row seat that must move forward for easy entry, and an occupant is not detected in the front seat directly in front of the child safety seat, the front seat moves forward to accommodate forward movement of the second row seat with the child safety seat.
If a front row seat is positioned such that the second row seat will collide with it during an easy entry operation, it automatically moves forward just enough to accommodate the forward position of the second row seat.
Note: Forward movement cancels if an occupant adjusts a second row seat while it is moving.
Have you seen the 9/29 launch event video? I believe they move like that when JB's family climbs out of the black X towing the trailer.

Or are you asking current sig owners? In that case, they may not. Yet.

I suspect this is probably a dead topic now, but would like to confirm that yes, the middle row seats will move forward to allow access to the 3rd row with forward facing car seats in place.

Tapping the access button once foward will initiate both the middle and front seats to slide forward and tilt to really open up access to the third row. Really amazing. If you hold the button down, the middle seats will slide slowly forward, but I don't believe they will tilt or slide as much as if you just tap the button. My car seats bump up against the back of the fronts, but it doesn't look like much pressure.

I have not tried it with the middle seats occupied. I don't know about rear-facing car seats, but I suspect just the extra space they take up would prevent the forward slide and tilt as much as without.

Interesting aside - my driver side middle row seat would not work after I first installed the car seat. The passenger side worked fine with a similar seat. I noticed that there was a seat belt warning last night (the car seat is attached using the LATCH system, not seat belt), and this am took it out. Worked fine without the car seat in place. Reinstalled the car seat, and now it works fine again. I think the car seat was tripping a seat belt or seat occupation sensor or something.

• Informative
Reactions: jeffaa