Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can people with a M3 please do a test for me

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can people with a Tesla 3 please do this test for me. Get in your car, turn off the climate and sit there. Is there any sound coming from the vents or the front of the car?

If you hear a sound can you please post which version you have. Thanks

Funnily enough just this afternoon i took my daughter to the doctors and waited in the car for her - turned off climate because the air con was a little too cool and sat there with the window open enjoying the sun - not a peep out of the car for 20 minutes. 2020 M3P

Funnily enough just this afternoon i took my daughter to the doctors and waited in the car for her - turned off climate because the air con was a little too cool and sat there with the window open enjoying the sun - not a peep out of the car for 20 minutes. 2020 M3P
Thanks. I think you need to have left it for a few hours and try it as soon as you get back in. First thing in the morning for example :)

Thanks. I think you need to have left it for a few hours and try it as soon as you get back in. First thing in the morning for example
In this weather I turn off the HVAC and it doesn't make any noise when I get into the car in the morning.
I also leave the windows down and the drivers door not fully closed when the car is on the drive and there is no noise from the HVAC system.

The AC fans often run unprompted, particularly after having been on for a while and then switched off. I was under the impression it ran as fan-only to dry out the air ducts to prevent condensation and associated funky smells. This is a great idea - something my Lexus CT could really do with.

The AC fans often run unprompted, particularly after having been on for a while and then switched off. I was under the impression it ran as fan-only to dry out the air ducts to prevent condensation and associated funky smells. This is a great idea - something my Lexus CT could really do with.

Mine often sits plugged in and from time to time I have heard some whirring going on. I don't have cabin overheat on and all systems would be expected to be dormant. I would be happy to think it was doing something sensible such as you describe!

2021 LR model 3 with heat pump. There is a slight hum from the dash without the fans. Kind of reminds me of a cpu fan or power supply fan on PC. You’d have to listen for it but I thought it would be related to cooling the FSD and MCU2 computers. It’s quiet enough that it’s never bothered me. I did have the heat pump thud/rumbling issue when the A/C was cooling the cabin and car stationary. That was annoying but eventually went away with a software update some months ago. Someone mentioned that was an issue with compressor ramping up too quickly

2021 LR model 3 with heat pump. There is a slight hum from the dash without the fans. Kind of reminds me of a cpu fan or power supply fan on PC. You’d have to listen for it but I thought it would be related to cooling the FSD and MCU2 computers. It’s quiet enough that it’s never bothered me. I did have the heat pump thud/rumbling issue when the A/C was cooling the cabin and car stationary. That was annoying but eventually went away with a software update some months ago. Someone mentioned that was an issue with compressor ramping up too quickly
Does it sound like this?

When you park after driving, I think the cooling system still runs for a while to remove any potential hot spots in the battery pack. The fan in the frunk seems to run for half an hour or so on my 2020 SR+
My 2021 MIC SR+ seems to run like a helicopter about to take off when the temperature is what it’s been in UK for the last few days (and the plastic seats still take the skin off my legs if I’m wearing shorts)😂… please don’t ask me to not wear shorts, it’s not a pretty sight ( or one to be proud of)😂😂🤣