Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can Rangers do two year maintenance checks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am sure they could. Rotation is nothing difficult, fluid check again nothing difficult, lubricating calipers is easy...not sure what else they might need to do for a 2 year check but the things you listed are simple.

... and checking cold tire pressure. And cleaning up vegetable debris near the vent inlet in the Frunk. And vacuuming the floor mats, and getting a trash container. And wiping the dash and the seats. Washing the windows from the inside, that's a chore. Whew!

What's with all these snarky comments? I asked a legitimate question, I wanted to know if the if the two year maintenence checks can be made by a ranger who only has jacks obviously you can't put a lift in the back of a van.
The consensus seems to be that the most arduous task would be maintenance on the brake calipres. I have had the tire rotation done by Tesla for me once before (cheaply and conveniently!) and it was no issue. I'd just ask in the app when making the appointment whether a mobile tech can handle all line-items for the 2Y maintenance; if it cannot be done I reckon they'll ask you to come in to a service center.

What's with all these snarky comments? I asked a legitimate question, I wanted to know if the if the two year maintenence checks can be made by a ranger who only has jacks obviously you can't put a lift in the back of a van

Mobile service should be able to do it. If brake fluid will need to be changed, I pretty sure that will require visit to service center

The consensus seems to be that the most arduous task would be maintenance on the brake calipres. I have had the tire rotation done by Tesla for me once before (cheaply and conveniently!) and it was no issue. I'd just ask in the app when making the appointment whether a mobile tech can handle all line-items for the 2Y maintenance; if it cannot be done I reckon they'll ask you to come in to a service center.
I did put it in the description of the issue and I also messaged them about it. I'm scheduled for the middle of Aug, they haven't gotten back to me with costs or if they can do the other services. The service centers are all at least an hour away so I'd rather not go there if possible. I'm also not feeling good about going anywhere else. Last year I had my tires rotated at Costco and it left a bad taste in my mouth. They told me they had lost their pucks so I handed them my set. When I picked up the car the tire tech couldn't figure out how to back it out of the bay, I had to do it myself. If he didn't know how to start the car what chances are that he knew he was supposed to use the pucks. My girlfriend just bought a new set of tires for her Honda. They messed up the alignment and when she complained they supposedly checked it and said it was fine, it wasn't. She had her mechanic check it out, he doesn't have alignment equipment so he couldn't fix it but he wrote it up so that she would have something to take back to the tire shop. They are looking it over today, yesterday when she showed them the mechanics report they said that maybe they had put on a bad tire. She has an old CRV, if the local shops can't handle that what chance is there they won't screw up a Tesla.

I did put it in the description of the issue and I also messaged them about it. I'm scheduled for the middle of Aug, they haven't gotten back to me with costs or if they can do the other services. The service centers are all at least an hour away so I'd rather not go there if possible. I'm also not feeling good about going anywhere else. Last year I had my tires rotated at Costco and it left a bad taste in my mouth. They told me they had lost their pucks so I handed them my set. When I picked up the car the tire tech couldn't figure out how to back it out of the bay, I had to do it myself. If he didn't know how to start the car what chances are that he knew he was supposed to use the pucks. My girlfriend just bought a new set of tires for her Honda. They messed up the alignment and when she complained they supposedly checked it and said it was fine, it wasn't. She had her mechanic check it out, he doesn't have alignment equipment so he couldn't fix it but he wrote it up so that she would have something to take back to the tire shop. They are looking it over today, yesterday when she showed them the mechanics report they said that maybe they had put on a bad tire. She has an old CRV, if the local shops can't handle that what chance is there they won't screw up a Tesla.
Wow, quite a soap opera. Did you used to be on the Volt forums; if so, were you the guy who didn't get the Tesla, solely because they didn't have a loaner for you to take your gf on a test drive? Something about your writing triggered an old memory.

Anyhow, I pre-hang my pucks at 3rd-party tire shops. I wrap hockey tape around the nipples on my pucks to provide just enough friction so that they hang without risk of falling out. Then, you don't have to worry about whether the tire shop is or isn't going to use your pucks. They have no choice but to use them.

Reactions: Fernand
That's not quite the story. Yes I was on the Volt forums but the story was a little different. I wasn't going to pull the trigger until she had a chance to go on a test drive. I had done two drives, the first in MA at the end of 2018 and then in Silicon Valley in the spring of 2019. The day that I did my CA drive Elon had his brain fart about shutting down all of the stores. When I got back ti MA I wasn't able to schedule a final drive for a month until he sobered up and reversed himself. It all worked out in the end, the delay meant that I got a car with HW3 instead of HW2.5. If fact it was exactly two years ago to the day that I picked it up.

• Funny
Reactions: Fernand
What's with all these snarky comments? I asked a legitimate question, I wanted to know if the if the two year maintenence checks can be made by a ranger who only has jacks obviously you can't put a lift in the back of a van.

FWIW (which isnt much, for sure), I thought there was nothing unusual or strange about the question at all. I was following along not only as a moderator, but because I thought it was a good question and I wondered the answer for myself.

TMC can have a very "pile on" mentality for some things, but not sure why your question (which was stated well, seems reasonable, etc) triggered that. Nothing crosses the line into something I need to moderate, as its all fairly innocent "snark" but I certainly didnt get why that was here, when normally I can tell when a thread will generate that type of response.