Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can rear facing seats be retrofitted for my 2019 model s?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But... why? If you really need 6 or 7 seats you should have gotten the X, it would be a lot more comfortable for anyone sitting in the 3rd row (and, for that matter, a bit better in the second row too). I'd probably get the jumpseats as an option if they were available on the website/through a Tesla store, but I either wouldn't bother with installing them myself or just get the MX.

• Disagree
Reactions: Kuhz
But... why? If you really need 6 or 7 seats you should have gotten the X, it would be a lot more comfortable for anyone sitting in the 3rd row (and, for that matter, a bit better in the second row too). I'd probably get the jumpseats as an option if they were available on the website/through a Tesla store, but I either wouldn't bother with installing them myself or just get the MX.
My twin 4 year olds would love it - that’s why :)

Reactions: ElecExclusive
how to check?
1. Feel behind the rear seat on the left. You will feel a few slight indents in the top right area of the back of the seat. Those would be the latch points for the backs of the folding rear seats, if you confirm the seats will be installed, you will be cutting the backing of the seat, not for the faint of heart.
2. Pull off driver side parcel shelf panel (the long narrow piece). Look for a set of wires with a connector, that is for the interior trunk switch
Note, it may be tied to a wire harness about half way toward the charge port. You may need to pry back and remove the lower driver side trunk panel after lifting the carpet.
3. While #2 is open, check for the mounting holes for the seat catch to engage with the back of the butt part of the folding RFS. Should have two threaded holes slightly offet on top of one another
4. See if the carpet is pre-partially cut for the side latches and in the footwell transition carpet. Think if you had the seats the middle of each seat just below. Peel back the carpet and check for the mounting holes
5. Remove the Bumper cover (yeah the cosmetic bumper cover i.e. the painted bumper) Look for mounting posts 2X on left and right, that is where the un-restricted reinforced bumper is bolted.

I just finished adding RFS to my 2014 P85+. Make sure you have all the correct parts:
- Trunk trim piece needed for mounting new switch
- Side latches
- Barrel Nuts for lower bracing
- Rear seat 2 piece latch cover
- Trunk Switch
- Various Bolt sizes needed to be locked in place for use.
- Seat assembly with latch cover assy.

Doing this as we speak. Pictures of what you’re looking for.

Attachments

• 4F0F7AFA-78C0-43A9-A488-BE4AC8E7A18C.jpeg
    4F0F7AFA-78C0-43A9-A488-BE4AC8E7A18C.jpeg
    315 KB · Views: 364
  • 281DADF0-F8EE-4FAC-B771-B45A631E8F4C.jpeg
    281DADF0-F8EE-4FAC-B771-B45A631E8F4C.jpeg
    309.1 KB · Views: 194
  • D2F7D6BC-22A0-4BF8-BED4-932BFE782247.jpeg
    D2F7D6BC-22A0-4BF8-BED4-932BFE782247.jpeg
    260.4 KB · Views: 198
  • 5E17F1CC-9390-435D-9822-0595E7C35463.jpeg
    5E17F1CC-9390-435D-9822-0595E7C35463.jpeg
    356.6 KB · Views: 197
  • 79F72AE1-34A5-4378-ACDF-5224BA71E60A.jpeg
    79F72AE1-34A5-4378-ACDF-5224BA71E60A.jpeg
    540.6 KB · Views: 186
Wow! Thank you SO much! So generous with your time in replying. :) Many thanks for the thoughtful and detailed descriptions of what is needed. I may need to reconsider this job at this time. Probably too much for me to handle at this point. I will save these notes and reconsider and reevaluate in a few months. Thanks again!!!

Reactions: captjoemcd
Wow! Thank you SO much! So generous with your time in replying. :) Many thanks for the thoughtful and detailed descriptions of what is needed. I may need to reconsider this job at this time. Probably too much for me to handle at this point. I will save these notes and reconsider and reevaluate in a few months. Thanks again!!!
I’m really curious to the answer to this question as well. I would think that Tesla will phase out the retrofit points in the cars over time (it’s additional perfect cost for no benefit), although Elon says that RFS option is coming back with Plaid so who knows

Reactions: HealthyDude
how to check?
1. Feel behind the rear seat on the left. You will feel a few slight indents in the top right area of the back of the seat. Those would be the latch points for the backs of the folding rear seats, if you confirm the seats will be installed, you will be cutting the backing of the seat, not for the faint of heart.
2. Pull off driver side parcel shelf panel (the long narrow piece). Look for a set of wires with a connector, that is for the interior trunk switch
Note, it may be tied to a wire harness about half way toward the charge port. You may need to pry back and remove the lower driver side trunk panel after lifting the carpet.
3. While #2 is open, check for the mounting holes for the seat catch to engage with the back of the butt part of the folding RFS. Should have two threaded holes slightly offet on top of one another
4. See if the carpet is pre-partially cut for the side latches and in the footwell transition carpet. Think if you had the seats the middle of each seat just below. Peel back the carpet and check for the mounting holes
5. Remove the Bumper cover (yeah the cosmetic bumper cover i.e. the painted bumper) Look for mounting posts 2X on left and right, that is where the un-restricted reinforced bumper is bolted.

I just finished adding RFS to my 2014 P85+. Make sure you have all the correct parts:
- Trunk trim piece needed for mounting new switch
- Side latches
- Barrel Nuts for lower bracing
- Rear seat 2 piece latch cover
- Trunk Switch
- Various Bolt sizes needed to be locked in place for use.
- Seat assembly with latch cover assy.

The only thing I’d add is the existing trim piece is pretty easy to modify to accept the switch. I was able to get close enough to the mounting point for the switch and then widen the hole with a Dremel. It looks 100% stock after the switch is mounted.

The only thing I’d add is the existing trim piece is pretty easy to modify to accept the switch. I was able to get close enough to the mounting point for the switch and then widen the hole with a Dremel. It looks 100% stock after the switch is mounted.
I was thinking about going this route until I found out that the trim piece is $38. I was expecting $100+. At $38, it wasn’t worth the time and hassle to modify for me, but depending on availability and your time/dollar trade off, it’s a good option.

So I guess that means that switch connector for the interior trim panel is always there? That's good news.
As for the restricted parts such as the rear seat bezel: contact an authorized repair center not Tesla. They can pull up a VIN with RFS and then see the restricted part and order it.

Brooks Motors in Fremont was able to order those off menu by using a different VIN equipped with RFS.
Note that the seats come with an insert that latches on the sides to the fixed L/R hip striker. if you don't secure your carpet back in place after install, the round parts might stick on the carpet. Pull hard enough and congrats you break the cheap plastic circle part. Doesn't seem necessary for the seats to work properly as there is NO lateral movement once the knee bolts are mounted.

The knew bolts between the legs of the passengers and the upper bezel on the back of seats hold it in place. The rods for the hip latch sit behind the "striker" and engage when seats are in the up position. The circle parts are redundant for lateral movement and being made of plastic, i'm not sure they are robust enough to hold in event of sever shock laterally. (not that I want to find out)

As for the restricted parts such as the rear seat bezel: contact an authorized repair center not Tesla. They can pull up a VIN with RFS and then see the restricted part and order it.

The issue isn’t whether it’s restricted or not- the only restricted items left in this retrofit are the bolts for the side strikers and the nuts for the rear bumper crossmember (for some reason). Even those my SC had no problem ordering for me. The crossmember used to be the classic restricted part that needed to be ordered through a body shop but it’s over the counter now (no longer restricted). The issue for the two bezels is that Tesla does not have any- they have no problem pulling up the part, it’s just not in stock anywhere. Restricted vs over the counter determines whether Tesla SCs are supposed to sell them to you. The electronic parts catalogue has a column that specifies this.

Last edited:
I was thinking about going this route until I found out that the trim piece is $38. I was expecting $100+. At $38, it wasn’t worth the time and hassle to modify for me, but depending on availability and your time/dollar trade off, it’s a good option.

Yeah that’s pretty cheap. I would have went that route, but I didn’t even think about it. The part list I went off of was from someone who modified theirs and it didn’t even cross my mind until it was time to install. My modification was more of me being impatient and also not wanting to deal with reaching out to Tesla again to try to order parts. That in itself is a painful process.

Reactions: captjoemcd