Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can rear (trunk) rubber adjustment knobs be used in the frunk?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys,

I've had a problem with the alignment of the frunk (bonnet) lid of my new Model 3... it was sitting lower on one side and slightly to the left.

I had it looked at by Tesla service, and they solved it by un-screwing one of the rubber knobs in the frunk lid, to make the lid sit more evenly. The only problem is that to get a good result, they had to unscrew the rubber knob to the point where it's almost falling out! It needs that amount of length to make the bonnet properly.

It got me thinking... I wonder if there's a longer version of that rubber knob available online. I had a look, but couldn't find anything.

Then I saw that there are similar knobs in the trunk (boot) lid as well. I unscrewed one, and sure enough, it's way longer than the ones at the front. Would be PERFECT up front. Here's a pic of the two parts, and also the originals in position...

IMG-2387.jpg
IMG-2391.jpg

IMG-2390.jpg

So my question is... would it be fine to simply get another one of the trunk rubber knobs and use that up front? They seem to be interchangable. The frunk one is perhaps slightly less flexible rubber, although that's possibly just because it's a smaller item.

I just want to be sure that by getting the rear part and using it on the frunk lid, I won't be causing any problems with how the lid closes, etc.

Keen to hear your thoughts if you're familiar with these parts.

Cheers!
Mike

As long as it is close with the longer one (which you honestly might have to trim down), and everything latches without binding or extra effort, I don’t think it would hurt anything to try.
That was my thinking too... just want to be sure that it won’t cause a problem with the frunk locking operation, definitely don’t want a frunk popping open on the freeway or something!

FD7128D4-C2AA-498C-B515-DBFDFA5946FE.jpeg

I would absolutely be willing to try, but then again I am pretty comfortable wrenching and certainly don’t want to advertise it as a fool-proof swap. As mentioned, as long as it latches fully and without extra effort, I’d say no harm!

I long ditched the OE front bump stoppers and replaced them with the equivalent of the rears... ordered beloe since I didnt want to wait for the Tesla part from SC.
Fit is perfect. OEM lifters and no aftermarket auto-frunk or auto-trunk so YMMV depending on mods and alignment issues (there are a ton related to the hood and trunk hatch hinges, lifters, bump stops, gaskets, etc) possible on these cars.

Hood Bumper Stops Rubber cushion... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08L85RFTZ?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Zero issues (and far more adjustment, rigid fit) after 3 years of use on a 5 year old vintage Model 3.

Reactions: ken_neth
I long ditched the OE front bump stoppers and replaced them with the equivalent of the rears... ordered beloe since I didnt want to wait for the Tesla part from SC.
Fit is perfect. OEM lifters and no aftermarket auto-frunk or auto-trunk so YMMV depending on mods and alignment issues (there are a ton related to the hood and trunk hatch hinges, lifters, bump stops, gaskets, etc) possible on these cars.

Hood Bumper Stops Rubber cushion... Amazon.com

Zero issues (and far more adjustment, rigid fit) after 3 years of use on a 5 year old vintage Model 3.
Great to hear they worked well for you.

Unfortunately the link you sent doesn’t work for the Amazon store in Australia. But I am seeing the service centre this week so hopefully will be able to procure a few of the rear stoppers and fit them to the front.

Fingers crossed!

Reactions: Perscitus