Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can Replacing Rear Speakers Improve Bass base sound on MS?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a Light Harmonics setup in my car. I also have another car without Light Harmonics.

The Light Harmonics speakers are worthless. Don't buy them. They had absolutely nothing to the soundstage in the car. The only thing that you can buy from LH that's worth it is the amp. The amp will add to your sound system.

The subwoofer they sell is overpriced. You can buy a SoundQubed for $100 and it will add quite a bit of base when paired with a LH Amp. If you try to drive the SQ Sub with a stock Amp, you will be sorely disappointed.

TL;DR Skip the LH speakers and sub. Get the SoundQubed sub and the LH amp. That's your best bang for the buck.

LH door speaker install is relatively easy as it is MS specific, actually that is why it is worth little extra to me. They have very clear instruction videos on youtube.

Custom set installation may be a bit trickier.

Don't forget to add noise deadening when you have the door cards off.

I replaced the front door speakers in my Model S with the door speakers from the premium sound system. They are bolt in and plug and play. They do a more low end that the stock system without a reduced output that some aftermarket drivers suffer from. In theory, they could be mounted to the rear doors also but I don’t think the door trim panels would fit over them.

I'm curious about swapping in a set of 8" premium sound system speakers into the front of my 2013 S85 with the standard audio. I understand that the brackets for the premium speakers are needed for an easy swap, but I noticed that the back of the speaker magnets on the UHFS front speakers say they are 1ohm. Do these work with the standard system? They'll be replacing 2ohm speakers.

To address some of the comments on this thread:

1) The OP does not appear to be correct that the speakers from the standard and UHFS are the same. They are different in both size and material.

2) Claims about LH speakers being superior to the Tesla factory speakers based on the magnet weight is a bit of controversy. Tesla uses neodymium which has more magnetic force compared to ferrite that LH uses according to: Debunking the Audio Myth About Neodymium Magnets

3) Most folks who have installed drop-in speakers with no other changes to the audio system claim the front speakers is where you will find the most improvement. Replacing the rear door speakers is not worthwhile, and in one guy's case claimed the sound was not as good, finding the treble and vocals to be too harsh.

I'm looking for a mild upgrade and have considered installing a set of front speakers from the premium/UHFS or trying to fit an aftermarket speaker into a 3D printed speaker bracket and terminal. I mostly keep the audio around volume level 3-4 on surface streets, but turn it up to 5-6 on the freeway/highway.

I'm curious about swapping in a set of 8" premium sound system speakers into the front of my 2013 S85 with the standard audio. I understand that the brackets for the premium speakers are needed for an easy swap, but I noticed that the back of the speaker magnets on the UHFS front speakers say they are 1ohm. Do these work with the standard system? They'll be replacing 2ohm speakers.

To address some of the comments on this thread:

1) The OP does not appear to be correct that the speakers from the standard and UHFS are the same. They are different in both size and material.

2) Claims about LH speakers being superior to the Tesla factory speakers based on the magnet weight is a bit of controversy. Tesla uses neodymium which has more magnetic force compared to ferrite that LH uses according to: Debunking the Audio Myth About Neodymium Magnets

3) Most folks who have installed drop-in speakers with no other changes to the audio system claim the front speakers is where you will find the most improvement. Replacing the rear door speakers is not worthwhile, and in one guy's case claimed the sound was not as good, finding the treble and vocals to be too harsh.

I'm looking for a mild upgrade and have considered installing a set of front speakers from the premium/UHFS or trying to fit an aftermarket speaker into a 3D printed speaker bracket and terminal. I mostly keep the audio around volume level 3-4 on surface streets, but turn it up to 5-6 on the freeway/highway.
I have had my UHFS front speakers on my standard audio Model S for almost 2 years now with no ill effects.

I replaced the front door speakers in my Model S with the door speakers from the premium sound system. They are bolt in and plug and play. They do a more low end that the stock system without a reduced output that some aftermarket drivers suffer from. In theory, they could be mounted to the rear doors also but I don’t think the door trim panels would fit over them.
@jelloslug I was thinking of doing this mod to my base system. Noticed there seems to be a plastic ring around the rim of the speaker. I’m assuming that is just a spacer for the much smaller 6” stock speaker to fill in the gap.