Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can scratched wheels be fixed?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wound up scratching my 21" wheel yesterday, hitting a small curb that had no business being there. Anyways, any thoughts on how to fix this, short of buying a new rim? The outer layer of the tire was also damage during the contact. The rim is not dented, just a 1" scratch.

I'm not in the Bay area, so I can't recommend anyone specific, but I can say that wheel repairs for curb rash can very much be done, and done quite well if the right person does it. I had two of mine redone about 6 months ago, they're flawless again.

Going rate is about $125 per wheel.

I found a guy in the South Bay with high marks on Yelp that fixes Tesla wheels. Gonna give him a try, here is the before picture:
IMG_1724.JPG

Reactions: byt
I had mine in for service at the Sunnyvale SC and it came back with a curbed wheel. It sounds like have someone that comes in every few weeks and fixes up a bunch of customer cars in a big batch. I was skeptical, but didn't think they could make it worse so let them try.

I was utterly shocked at the result. I was absolutely certain they gave me a new wheel. I spent 30 minutes trying to find the damage and failed. Whoever they use does absolutely fantastic work. You should give them a call.

Edit: Here's what mine looked like.
DF1AF5BF-9902-4034-8C99-AD2A4F1DC9D6.JPG

I wound up scratching my 21" wheel yesterday, hitting a small curb that had no business being there. Anyways, any thoughts on how to fix this, short of buying a new rim? The outer layer of the tire was also damage during the contact. The rim is not dented, just a 1" scratch.

I had two of my 21" grey turbine wheels refurbished (one stone chip, one kerbed) and they look as good as new, so should be fine. A lot of places aren't designed well for wide cars here in the UK!

I have now fitted grey Alloygators, which look fine and I'd definitely recommend them.

For the diy'ers, does something like this help?

Tess

Yes, it does work. But sanding cast wheels can take a lot of effort sometimes. You'd have to get a variety of sandpaper grits and damp sand the wheels. Plastidip is incredibly cheap and it can look incredibly awful when done poorly, especially if it drips at all. Once it scratches or peels, it can look worse than it did before you got the curb rash.

On top of that, if you have deep gouges in your wheels, you may need to have a filler applied.

If you're gonna go DIY, sand and fill with Bondo. Then paint the wheels with VHT paint after cleaning thoroughly and priming.

Your best bet is to have the wheels professional repaired and powder coated. This is more expensive, but it's done professionally and is much more durable.

Last edited: