TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Can scratched wheels be fixed?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by energy7, Jan 25, 2017.

Tags:
  1. energy7

energy7 Member

I wound up scratching my 21" wheel yesterday, hitting a small curb that had no business being there. Anyways, any thoughts on how to fix this, short of buying a new rim? The outer layer of the tire was also damage during the contact. The rim is not dented, just a 1" scratch.

2. ev-now

ev-now Member

Should be a range of local options for that - wheel refurbish or restore or refinish in Google should find them for you. Painted rims (Turbines)?

3. energy7

energy7 Member

Yes, these are the dark turbine wheels. Can anyone recommend a good wheel repair outfit in the Bay Area, preferably South Bay?

4. Toasty

Toasty Member

5. SomeJoe7777

SomeJoe7777 Marginally-Known Member

I'm not in the Bay area, so I can't recommend anyone specific, but I can say that wheel repairs for curb rash can very much be done, and done quite well if the right person does it. I had two of mine redone about 6 months ago, they're flawless again.

Going rate is about $125 per wheel.

6. byt

byt Member

I had mine fixed on two occasions and Tesla Service took care of it. I had to pay of course but they hire a mobile rim repair guy to take care of it.

• Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
  7. energy7

energy7 Member

I found a guy in the South Bay with high marks on Yelp that fixes Tesla wheels. Gonna give him a try, here is the before picture: IMG_1724.JPG

• Like x 1
  8. mbhforum

mbhforum Member

ughhh I hate curb rash. I once took my BMW to a local guy and he made 2 of them look as good as new. It was roughly around $125 a wheel like mentioned above. He did have the car all day, but not sure if that is because he was busy.

9. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

I had mine in for service at the Sunnyvale SC and it came back with a curbed wheel. It sounds like have someone that comes in every few weeks and fixes up a bunch of customer cars in a big batch. I was skeptical, but didn't think they could make it worse so let them try.

I was utterly shocked at the result. I was absolutely certain they gave me a new wheel. I spent 30 minutes trying to find the damage and failed. Whoever they use does absolutely fantastic work. You should give them a call.

Edit: Here's what mine looked like.
    DF1AF5BF-9902-4034-8C99-AD2A4F1DC9D6.JPG

10. Manzacoty

Manzacoty Member

I used a mobile guy that came to my house. He did it for $50/tire. They were rough!

Before / after
    27B0FFC6-E69E-48FD-B18F-766991F8B38F.JPG 425AF2B9-A004-41C2-8469-694DC1C45402.JPG
    DDCD76FC-E061-4029-BB55-1683BDA14FE1.JPG

• Like x 3
    • Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
  11. byt

byt Member

$50 per rim? That's awesome! Would never find that pricing out here in the Bay Area however.

12. Manzacoty

Manzacoty Member

Make a road trip to Dallas!

13. Snerruc

Snerruc Member

I would worry a lot more about the tire than the rim. If you don't want rim rash, drop down to 17 in rims.

14. CJPonline

CJPonline Member

I agree with SNERRUC...be certain to have that tire checked...depending on the depth of the rip, there may be significant sidewall damage!

15. TessLi

TessLi Member

For the diy'ers, does something like this help?

Tess

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  16. gp100dl

gp100dl Member

I had two of my 21" grey turbine wheels refurbished (one stone chip, one kerbed) and they look as good as new, so should be fine. A lot of places aren't designed well for wide cars here in the UK!

I have now fitted grey Alloygators, which look fine and I'd definitely recommend them.

17. energy7

energy7 Member

Looks fairly easy but I don't have the time to do this. If I had a cheaper car I may try it but I'll prefer a pro for my particular job.

18. kevincwelch

kevincwelch Active Member

#18 kevincwelch, Jan 29, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2017

Yes, it does work. But sanding cast wheels can take a lot of effort sometimes. You'd have to get a variety of sandpaper grits and damp sand the wheels. Plastidip is incredibly cheap and it can look incredibly awful when done poorly, especially if it drips at all. Once it scratches or peels, it can look worse than it did before you got the curb rash.

On top of that, if you have deep gouges in your wheels, you may need to have a filler applied.

If you're gonna go DIY, sand and fill with Bondo. Then paint the wheels with VHT paint after cleaning thoroughly and priming.

Your best bet is to have the wheels professional repaired and powder coated. This is more expensive, but it's done professionally and is much more durable.

19. Kay Kay

Kay Kay Member

I have curve rash on one of my wheels too.

20. clx

clx Member

Any recommendations for wheel repair in SoCal area?