Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can set of 22” turbines fit in rear cargo area of MX?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m planning to pick up a set of 22” turbine wheels with tires from a seller and was thinking to use the MX to do so. Was wondering if anyone else did this and if so, any challenges in getting these to fit in the rear cargo area. I’m have a 6-seat configuration. I’ll be coming prepared with trash bags or some moving blankets to ensure no damage/dirtiness to the interior.

Thanks in advance!

It takes some tetris like involvement but its possible. I had to slide both second row seats forward and stack the wheels to make it fit. I think I had to stand one wheel up between the backing of the second row and third row and then stack the last three around it.

I’m planning to pick up a set of 22” turbine wheels with tires from a seller and was thinking to use the MX to do so. Was wondering if anyone else did this and if so, any challenges in getting these to fit in the rear cargo area. I’m have a 6-seat configuration. I’ll be coming prepared with trash bags or some moving blankets to ensure no damage/dirtiness to the interior.

Thanks in advance!

Pickup will go fine. They won't go straight in like you may be picturing in your head. Put two wheels in on a diagnol and they will go up against back of your two middle seats and lean against the cargo side. One wheel drops into the rear trunk recess. The last wheel won't fit in the rear cargo area, so you have 2 options. 1. Put it in between the two middle seats, and it slides in with no issues. Or 2, move the passenger seat up and put the wheel between the 2nd row and behind the passenger seat. It's easier to get in and out that way. I had passengers so I went with the middle.

Hi,

here's how you easily transport up to 22" wheels in the cargo compartment of ANY Model X:

Remove the intermediate load floor(s) (2 in 5-seaters) 1 in 6/7-seaters. Store vertically behind 2nd row seats.

Fold 3rd row flat in 6/7-seaters. 2nd row can stay up, but should not be reclined (5-seater) or all the way back (6/7-seater).

Put in two rear tires/wheels and one front tire/wheel VERTICALLY, in the driving direction, behind 2nd row seat. for best vision (which will be impaired slightly on 6/7-seaters, put the front tire in the middle.

Put the last (front) tire/wheel VERTICALLY, and of course NOT in the driving direction, in the well just in front of the rear door opening, and secure/strap the whole thing so the hatch will close without interference.

Reactions: Mako11
Anyone got a picture of this ? Service center couldn’t do it in my 7 seat X so I drove three of them home and drove back to get the fourth. I will have to load all 4 of them this time to take to a different service center much further away due to scheduling conflicts.

Hi,

unfortunately I did not take pictures of the last time we successfully (and with the rear seat bench FULLY usable) transported a set of 22" tires in our 5-seater MX, over a 400 mile drive - but I assure you that the method described above IS feasible, for ALL versions. In the older 7-seat, and current and older 6-seat versions you will not have very much rear visibility, thus my recommendation to put the slightly smaller front tire/wheel in the middle, flanked by two rear tires/wheels.

On May 9 we'll drive to the Service Center in Düsseldorf, Germany (± 320 miles roundtrip) to have our 22" referral wheels fitted - outbound with a set of 22" tires in the rear cargo area, and homebound, in addition to this, with a complete set of 20" winter wheels on the flat-folded 2nd row seats. And yes, we will upload photos of both configurations!!

To those of you who might wonder why all this transporting tires around - no, we're not trying to beat YouTuber "Teslabjørn", but after successfully bidding for one of the 22" referral wheel sets in January, we bought a second set of new (but late 2015 vintage) 22" tires at a ridiculously low price (± 200 $) a month ago, and want to put those to use first (the new "referral" tires are not yet mounted on the rims), and then use the "referral" tires once the older ones are done.

And tire or service centers generally have no idea of how to fit tires efficiently - they just kind of throw them in. We experienced this both with our MS, and now with the MX - with the latter they even claimed the wheels would not fit in the vehicle, and consequently sent a Mercedes Sprinter van to deliver.....

• Informative
Reactions: Maaz
Anyone got a picture of this ? Service center couldn’t do it in my 7 seat X so I drove three of them home and drove back to get the fourth. I will have to load all 4 of them this time to take to a different service center much further away due to scheduling conflicts.

New or old 7 seater? That seems really odd if it's the newer one...

Hi,

a couple of photos to prove that transporting 4 MX wheels (20" or 22") in the cargo compartment in a 5-seater MX is really a piece of cake:

YscOh7.jpg

Qovu2T.jpg

This load configuration leaves the 2nd row seats completely usable in any MX, and completely preserves rear visibility in the 5-seater. Because the 20" wheels are slightly too narrow to properly fill out the width of the cargo compartment some kind of insert at the sides is useful for keeping the wheels/tires from moving around.

When you have to transport a second set of wheels/tires (in this case 22"), this slightly odd load configuration preserves rear vision, and allows for completely undisturbed adjustment of the front seats:

8S7Ejv.jpg

Of course, with a non-black interior, proper handling when loading and some protection from rubbing is essential. Stacking the tires/wheels in pairs horizontally can also be done, but impedes on front seat adjustment, and cuts rearward vision a bit.

Best regards from Luxembourg, Europe

Krouebi

@Yinn,

according to my information it should be possible, albeit with impaired rear mirror visibility.

Kind regards from Luxembourg, Europe

Krouebi

I transported 22” wheels just a month ago and they definitely don’t go straight in. Your setup was the very first thing I tried. They’re too tall and hit the roof. You can put them diagonal and they’ll go in. But it won’t fit three across then.

Keep in mind this is for the monopost 2nd row as well.

• Informative
Reactions: krouebi