TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Can Side View Mirrors not draw in when leaving car?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by jlucero, Nov 22, 2015.

1. jlucero

jlucero Member

funny request, but can i have the side view mirrors stay where they are when i lock the car and walk away rather than fold in?

2. green1

green1 Active Member

Not in my car right now, but I believe it's an option in the settings somewhere...

3. S'toon

S'toon Knows where his towel is

Controls > Settings > Vehicle >
    Mirror Auto-Fold > ON. to OFF

4. jlucero

jlucero Member

jeez, thanks...so obviously in my face that i didnt see it lol

5. LetsGoFast

LetsGoFast Active Member

Its in Controls on the Setting tab. Its called Mirror Auto-Fold or something like that.

Oops. I'm way too slow.

6. scottm

scottm Active Member

I dorked with folding mirrors for first 2 weeks of ownership.

Now, they're perma-unfolded. No need. Wish the option wasn't bundled on me with tech-pack. I *did* want the power lift-gate.

7. cgiGuy

cgiGuy Member

Just out of curiosity, is it just an aesthetics thing to want them to stay out?

8. Noneduck

Noneduck Member

Wouldn't it be great if the power lift gate was standard equipment and the folding mirrors was bundled into the $3000 option.

9. Cyclone

Cyclone Active Member

I use mine all the time, but I have the auto-fold setting turned off. At work, the spaces are tight enough that I fold in the mirrors to make sure someone's bag doesn't bust the mirror as they walk by. At home, 50% of the time I fold in the mirrors as, with mirrors extended, I only have 2" of space on either side and I'm not always perfectly centered. So as I go over the lip into the garage, if it looks like the mirror is close, I press the button and fold it in. I would use the auto-fold feature, but it auto-unfolds before I leave the garage and I don't want to see the mirror extended and forget that I do not have enough room to clear the mirror, so it's on manual.

10. jlucero

jlucero Member

a local wheel dealer wanted to photograph my car, and i was leaving the car with him for 2 hours, but i took the key and he wanted the windows out.

also, while in the car, is there a way to draw the side view mirrors in while going through tight spaces? i bet the answer is obvious as well.

11. Cyclone

Cyclone Active Member

He could manually unfold them.

Between the buttons that select to adjust the left or right mirror (above the rotational dialpad for moving the mirror), there is a center button that folds in/unfolds the mirrors at will. Can even be done while driving.

12. jlucero

jlucero Member

man im retarded...thank you. i have actually used that function on the door a while back, but had a brain freeze moment. go figure. thanks again

13. Andyw2100

Andyw2100 Well-Known Member