TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Can someone Calibrate Autopilot 2.0 on a Model S Facelift

Discussion in 'Model S' started by vladi, Jun 3, 2018.

1. vladi

vladi Member

Can someone Calibrate Autopilot 2.0 on a Model S Facelift or know someone that can do it? I'm located in Phoenix, Arizona.

2. BigTonyTones

BigTonyTones Member

Calibrate?
    You shouldn't have to do anything except drive it for a day the first time you get it.

3. vladi

vladi Member

It doesn't seem to be able to. Sometimes it starts detecting the lanes, cars, and speed signs when I turn the car on(if it hasn't been on for a few hrs) but that lasts a few seconds and then it disappears.

• Love x 1
  4. animorph

animorph Active Member

Haven't heard of anyone doing it by themselves. The SC can do it if necessary. They like you to wait about 200 mi, but you should be calibrated after roughly 50 mi. Sounds like you have problem that requires a fix.

• Like x 1
  5. Tes La Ferrari

I would definitely take it into a service center if you’ve driven 100 miles and it’s still doing that.

6. vladi

vladi Member

Thank you for your reply. What is SC?

7. tpham07

tpham07 Active Member

service center. Presumably the place where you picked up the car. Calibration needs to be done by tesla and should be covered

8. vladi

vladi Member

They wouldn’t help me out as the vehicle is not supported by Tesla.

9. tpham07

tpham07 Active Member

What does that mean? Is your car a salvage rebuilt?

10. vladi

vladi Member

Yes, it is.

11. Yaro

Yaro Member

What did you replace on your car?

12. vladi

vladi Member

Just some parts on the suspension. No sensors or cameras. Even the front bumber was good. I don’t even get an error on the screen. We had all the cables and connections checked and everything is connected and working properly.

13. MarcusMaximus

MarcusMaximus Active Member

I’m thinking you’re out of luck unless you get the car recertified. Calibrating the cameras to match what the AP networks expect would likely require intimate knowledge of the network itself that nobody here(or outside Tesla) has. Best I can think of that you can personally try doing it just randomly jiggle the front cameras to see if you can clear the issue.

14. Keith909man

Keith909man Member

I had this happen to my 2017 S. first the auto windshield wipers stopped working (wouldn't turn off unless I placed it but in manual) then it stopped reading the lines and traffic.. Thought my calibration was messed up. took it to a SC and they told me the front facing camera stopped working and had to replace it. Hints why the auto wipers started acting crazy. So if your car saw the lines before and then stopped, most likely your front camera gave out.

NOTE: auto pilot 2.5 uses a different front camera from the 2.0. SC didn't even know this until they installed a 2.0 camera and it didn't work so they had to order a 2.5 version

15. vladi

vladi Member

Thank you. I will give that a try. I know there are a few cameras. On the facelift the front cameras are on the windshield only(Correct)?

16. robby

robby Member

The instrument cluster will only show road lines and cars around you if the radar and camera agree on the state of the world. I would definitely calibrate the radar before replacing the camera.

Here are instructions for the non-facelift model. You can probably do a similar procedure on the facelift model once you get access to the radar behind the bumper cover. Front Radar Calibration

• Informative x 1
  17. appleguru

appleguru Member

Silly, but worth mentioning as it seems to get disabled on my car sometimes inadvertently... make sure you have autosteer and auto lane change enabled in your driver profile.

18. Yaro

Yaro Member

Did you remove the radar? If you didn't remove anything, it will calibrate itself within a 1,000 miles regardless.

I replaced a radar on an AP 2.0 car and it some how programmed itself and calibrated and autopilot works now. Just have to drive for a good bit.

19. Yaro

Yaro Member

Oh one question. On the cluster/speedometer, does your car detect lanes?

20. vladi

vladi Member

Thank you for your response. Do you know where the radar is located on the facelift? I don't think it is on the same place as the first model(or as it is shown on the link you provided me with).