Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can someone Calibrate Autopilot 2.0 on a Model S Facelift

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did you remove the radar? If you didn't remove anything, it will calibrate itself within a 1,000 miles regardless.

I replaced a radar on an AP 2.0 car and it some how programmed itself and calibrated and autopilot works now. Just have to drive for a good bit.

Oh one question. On the cluster/speedometer, does your car detect lanes?

Only once I start the car(if the car has been off for a while) and it detects the lanes(or at least it tries to) for only a few seconds... then it completely disappears from the speedometer.

I had a similar problem on my salvaged / black sheep tesla. I removed the bumper had the car on level ground and took a level and adjusted the radar box to level and this is the gray area adjusted the left to right to center 100 feet out with string and a lot of measurements. After about 300 miles autopilot started working, and way better than before it stopped. On my car I actually installed a 2015 impact bar on a 2017 that required me to have to add the inserts for 6 mm bolts to hold it down. Now I’m assuming this car has root access and you have confirmed you have no DTC related to autopilot. I couldn’t get a tool to adjust the adjusters correctly had to use needle nose pliers to turn the adjusters,very similar to headlight adjuster on most cars.

I had a similar problem on my salvaged / black sheep tesla. I removed the bumper had the car on level ground and took a level and adjusted the radar box to level and this is the gray area adjusted the left to right to center 100 feet out with string and a lot of measurements. After about 300 miles autopilot started working, and way better than before it stopped. On my car I actually installed a 2015 impact bar on a 2017 that required me to have to add the inserts for 6 mm bolts to hold it down. Now I’m assuming this car has root access and you have confirmed you have no DTC related to autopilot. I couldn’t get a tool to adjust the adjusters correctly had to use needle nose pliers to turn the adjusters,very similar to headlight adjuster on most cars.

Hi, thank you for your response. I think I have the same issue as yours. I replaced the support bar with a non facelift one(the car is a facelift model) Could you please give your phone number in a private msg so I can talk to you about this. This is the last thing that is left for me to do on this car. This whole process has been a nightmare(dealing with Tesla, finding parts, MCU rest, etc..) I will really appreciate your help. Thank you

Hi, thank you for your response. I think I have the same issue as yours. I replaced the support bar with a non facelift one(the car is a facelift model) Could you please give your phone number in a private msg so I can talk to you about this. This is the last thing that is left for me to do on this car. This whole process has been a nightmare(dealing with Tesla, finding parts, MCU rest, etc..) I will really appreciate your help. Thank you

I previously asked you if you removed the radar and you said you didn't... Where did you mount the radar?

I previously asked you if you removed the radar and you said you didn't... Where did you mount the radar?

Yes, I know. I though that the radar was not removed but once I talked to the mechanic and he told me that we had to remove the radar because of the support bar. Please see the attached picture to see the radar... Also, I believe there is a camera on the left side, could you also tell me if I need to do anything on the camera as well?

Attachments

• Image.jpg
    Image.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 232

Yes, I know. I though that the radar was not removed but once I talked to the mechanic and he told me that we had to remove the radar because of the support bar. Please see the attached picture to see the radar... Also, I believe there is a camera on the left side, could you also tell me if I need to do anything on the camera as well?

Attachments

• Image.jpg
    Image.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 122
The camera has to be in the exact location, otherwise it will throw the calibration off. That's the only autopilot related item in the front end of the vehicle. There are cameras in the fenders and windshield though.

The instrument cluster will only show road lines and cars around you if the radar and camera agree on the state of the world. I would definitely calibrate the radar before replacing the camera.

Here are instructions for the non-facelift model. You can probably do a similar procedure on the facelift model once you get access to the radar behind the bumper cover. Front Radar Calibration

Maybe you can tell me what the problem is. I get the road lines but not the cars. Took the car in to the SC and they "calibrated the cameras". It worked for 27 miles then the cars went away, the lines remained and I get "Autopilot safety/convenience features unavailable". It shows up immediately on startup. I rebooted the computer and car but it was there right away. The message goes away for a second or so every once in awhile but then returns in a second or two. The car sat at a dealer for about two months before I got it and wasn't connected to Wifi. It worked at that time. But then after a day or so, it did the software update and I'm not sure but think that the problem may have started right after the latest software update. The sensors that detect objects right next to the car appear to work correctly.

Maybe you can tell me what the problem is. I get the road lines but not the cars. Took the car in to the SC and they "calibrated the cameras". It worked for 27 miles then the cars went away, the lines remained and I get "Autopilot safety/convenience features unavailable". It shows up immediately on startup. I rebooted the computer and car but it was there right away. The message goes away for a second or so every once in awhile but then returns in a second or two. The car sat at a dealer for about two months before I got it and wasn't connected to Wifi. It worked at that time. But then after a day or so, it did the software update and I'm not sure but think that the problem may have started right after the latest software update. The sensors that detect objects right next to the car appear to work correctly.

It sure sounds like an uncalibrated radar. Road lines are detected by cameras only, while cars are detected by cameras+radar. I would ask service to calibrate the radar and check the logs for any other possible culprits.

Note: I don't have any first-hand experience with AP2, this is just my best guess.

Reactions: R1Bill
It sure sounds like an uncalibrated radar. Road lines are detected by cameras only, while cars are detected by cameras+radar. I would ask service to calibrate the radar and check the logs for any other possible culprits.

Note: I don't have any first-hand experience with AP2, this is just my best guess.

So I brought it back into the SC. This time they calibrated the radar. It was off by 4 degrees. It's working correctly. Hopefully it'll last!

Hello,
Please I’m currently in a country when there is no tesla sc. can you tell how you calibrated to front radar for autopilot. I used a bubble level for the vertical alignment and did the horizontal using approximate measurements. Could you wake me through the procedure that was successful for you. I would really appreciate it. Thanks in advance

Attachments

• 8BA1D8A3-ACB3-4FA0-BAB3-312243E1B132.jpeg
    8BA1D8A3-ACB3-4FA0-BAB3-312243E1B132.jpeg
    189.4 KB · Views: 99