Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can someone else pickup the car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From the website:

Somebody else will pick up my Tesla on my behalf. What should they bring?
They should bring a power of attorney letter and copy of your passport or identification card to the delivery appointment. If you are financing your Tesla via a Tesla leasing or lending, the person listed on the agreement has to be present at the point of delivery.

Power of attorney? Jeez.

Having said that the Tesla account also says you need to provide proof of insurance and I'm almost certain they don't ask/care about it.

I'd suggest phoning Tesla and seeing what they say.

My wife is a doctor and can’t take days off at short notice. Do you know if I can pick up the car on her behalf? Has anyone else done this?

The website does indeed say: (and some other stuff which is clearly non-UK)

Who must be present at delivery?

All persons listed on the registration must be present to sign at delivery. If you are trading in a vehicle, all registered owners must be present.

I've picked up 5 cars over the years ... never once been asked for ID, let alone photo-ID (but same gender might help!), nor asked for proof of insurance, and they made up a Cherished Number Plate for me without seeing any proof of that either ...

But ...

Reactions: MrBadger
Someone on here recently posted what looked like their name and collection details. I'm going to go along an hour early and pickup their car :D - It seriously looks that easy from what we experienced. So Speedyranger, you better get there early or hope my trains are on strike...

joke... well the bit about nicking some else's car is.

Seriously, I would go a long with relevant ID and letter of authorisation including insurance with you as named driver. If you don't want to be up front, the only thing that may tip them off is you are not female. Hopefully they won't notice or mind. Worse that can happen is you go away empty handed and need to rearrange.

Last edited:
People working in Tesla delivery centres aren't hired for their powers of observation based on what they seem to hand over to customers. You could probably waltz up in a dress with her drivers licence and no one would notice. If you have a beard just trim it a bit I'm sure you'll be fine :D

• Funny
Reactions: LK06
the only thing that may tip them off is you are not female.

People working in Tesla delivery centres aren't hired for their powers of observation based on what they seem to hand over to customers. You could probably waltz up in a dress with her drivers licence and no one would notice. If you have a beard just trim it a bit I'm sure you'll be fine :D

“Did you just assume my gender?!”

I did :oops:, but Jasons post doesn't - there is just the assumption that you might have a beard - plenty of women do so no gender assumption ;)

I did :oops:, but Jasons post doesn't - there is just the assumption that you might have a beard - plenty of women do so no gender assumption ;)

Well to be fair it does kind of imply. Having teenage daughters who act like I dropped the N bomb these days if I so much as accidentally mis-gender someone I am aware that I am now dangerously non PC. But being the dinosaur that I am ,despite releasing the possibility of a faux pas, I thought the comedy value was worth the risk. And if I judged that wrong and get driven from the forum in disgrace I will live with the consequences (say hello to Jason72 :) )

Reactions: MrBadger
Well to be fair it does kind of imply. Having teenage daughters who act like I dropped the N bomb these days if I so much as accidentally mis-gender someone I am aware that I am now dangerously non PC. But being the dinosaur that I am ,despite releasing the possibility of a faux pas, I thought the comedy value was worth the risk. And if I judged that wrong and get driven from the forum in disgrace I will live with the consequences (say hello to Jason72 :) )

Nobody ever said life was going to be easy ... I've lived with beardism most of my adult life ... :D

So you've had 70 previous indiscretions here alone?? Chapeau *applause