Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

can someone explain how navigate on AP is supposed to take exits?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I keep experimenting with navigate on AP (2018 MS with legacy EAP) and just don't get it.
The navigation part shows the highway exits, but the car makes no attempt to take the exits (even if I use the turn signal).
Shouldn't the car be taking the exit ramps on its own?
When do most folks turn on NAP, when entering the on ramp or after cruising on the highway in a lane?
Any explanation of how to best use is appreciated.

Ask 10 people here and you get 20 answers :D Regardless of what is recommended, I activate it after I am already on the highway. My X with a recent 2019.20 update works fine to move over lanes and take the appropriate exit and then I take over in most all highway and interstate roads where I have used it between Reno and San Diego. A few places it won't. I haven't taken my time to figure out where or why.

I keep experimenting with navigate on AP (2018 MS with legacy EAP) and just don't get it.
The navigation part shows the highway exits, but the car makes no attempt to take the exits (even if I use the turn signal).
When do most folks turn on NAP, when entering the on ramp or after cruising on the highway in a lane?

There are some exits that NOA misses but most of the time, yes, NOA will take exits. Basically, when the car reaches an exit, auto steer will automatically steer the car into the exit lane.

NOA can also do on ramps. It will automatically steer into the highway lane right before the exit lane stops.

I sometimes turn NOA on when entering the on ramp but only if traffic is low. If I see that traffic is heavy, I will merge on the highway myself and then turn NOA on once I am crusing on the highway.

I find NoA takes exits very reliably, if infuriatingly slowly. I keep a little pressure on the accelerator to keep the speed up, so as to avoid being rear-ended, which does not seem to bother the steering at all.

Do exit ramps in your area have a dotted line, or is it an unmarked Y?

And, I’m assuming your route leads to some point past the exit?

If it's a single lane exit, NoA will automatically activate the turn signal before taking the exit. If it is a multi-lane exit and the lane you are in is ending, it won't turn on the turn signal but it will take the exit.

For me, NoA has been working very reliably to take exits since last December. I think it's only missed taken one exit in the past 8 months.

Reactions: EinSV

Please check your Navigation on Autopilot settings.

I can enter an address from my home and once it enters the on-ramp, I activate the usual Autopilot (double down swipe on Model 3, double pull in toward driver in S/X) and the Navigation on Autopilot would work.

200 miles via 5 freeways with no disengagement:

The slightly different route via 5 freeways with 1 disengagement (due to Autopilot outage for 2 minutes):

The problem I have with NoA taking exits is that it turns the turn signal on only when the maneuver starts (at least in Finland), which is possibly illegal and certainly dangerous, because you don't properly communicate in advance to the other drivers what you're about to do.

I wish it turned on the signal much earlier, as this way I could also better prepare for when it's about to steer. Interestingly, even though in the EU we need to push the stalk and hold the steering wheel for lane changes even with NoA, taking the exit happens automatically. I wonder if they slipped that by the regulations somehow! I don't mind though.