TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Can someone explain the "Free Internet"

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by bigroccrek, Aug 4, 2018.

1. bigroccrek

bigroccrek Member

OK sorry probably a dumb question. I reserved back in 2016 and confirmed ($2500) June 27, 2018. Can someone explain what is meant by the "Free Internet for life" Thanks

2. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

All Tesla’s have an LTE connection..used for nav, internet radio and download of software ..up to recently there was no limit on amount of data used or any charges for using ..now the fleet is getting larger the costs to sustain probably no longer makes sense ..normally if u went to a cell provider for data card ..probably runs around 60-75 /month for unlimited data ..if u are grandfathered in you won’t pay for your connection

3. bigroccrek

bigroccrek Member

Thanks for the information. So say for instance I want to connect a laptop/tablet to the internet (passenger in the car) can I do that through the cars LTE?

4. kwazi7

kwazi7 Member

No.

That may be possible one day, and frankly, if it is.. it will have strict limits.

You get free "premium" connectivity which means OTA updates, better nav, and I think audio over LTE. There's still a bunch of fine print about getting billed for excessive usage (not that anyone has been charged afaik)

5. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

Yes no hotspot capability ..a lot of Tesla owners use freedompop for hotspot as u need for dash cam if u put one in ...its actually a legit service you basically get 1gb /month data free ..go to freedompop and see if available in your area you can than have in car hotspot

6. chillaban

chillaban Active Member

Just to add, it's not just the LTE connection that the free premium connectivity gets you. It's also what gets you the car's built-in Slacker Radio Premium subscription (Tesla basically pays for this account on your behalf, which I believe is around $8/mo).

7. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

Tesla started to expire some of these ..my car early 2018 has slacker now only for one year free :(...good thing I only use TuneIn :eek:

8. bigroccrek

bigroccrek Member

Great information. I guess I will continue to use my phone as a hot spot (AT&T), but their coverage really sucks but it beats nothing....

9. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

Check freedompop ;) it’s free

10. chillaban

chillaban Active Member

Wow that's interesting! I figured the cost had to start adding up for them. Music subscriptions are a pretty cookie cutter royalty payment ordeal...

Where did you find the duration of the subscription? Need to check my 2017 as well as a recently delivered Model 3 to see if there's similar verbiage.

11. C141medic

C141medic Supporting Member

When I placed my order in July the Tesla rep told me that because of the PUP the data service is free for one year. After that you have to pay.

12. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

7FF307B9-051E-4A57-A22A-E0D4D99826C9.jpeg

• Informative x 2
  13. miltymoots

miltymoots Member

What happens to us that reserved after the “free” offer? I get 1 year free right? Then what?

14. Chris350

Chris350 Member

1 year free.... Then you pay if you choose.

If you don't pay you get a reduction of LTE services... No streaming radio... Limited nav information.... Only required updates (others will come to you via WiFi when connected.

• Like x 1
  15. ebmcs03

ebmcs03 Active Member

Is it really?
    I just checked. It says 500MB free.

Can you use it overseas?

16. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

For my uses Of dash cam the 500mb is for than enough ..dont think u can use overseas ..the dash cam at home is connected to home WiFi ..but when parked I want to stay connedcted so this does the trick ;)

17. fr100

fr100 Member

Freedompop is a *sugar* company that reneged on their own terms and conditions. I paid an $85 deposit on their hotspot that was fully refundable according to them. Once it became unsupported, they refused to refund my deposit despite me showing a copy of the terms and conditions they posted.

18. Msjulie

Msjulie Active Member

I know the chances are zero to none - but supporting CarPlay or Android Auto would remove at least some use of network connectivity from the 'requirements' - even w/o it I just play music from my phone with bluetooth...

19. miltymoots

miltymoots Member

What is “limited nav information” ?

20. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

Traffic updates

• Informative x 1