Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can someone explain this behavior of the refresh auto-garage door opener closing the door on the car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Amazon leaves a box in front of the garage door. I pull up, the opener auto-opens the door. I take off my seatbelt, move the box, get in the car, as I am pulling into the garage the auto-opener CLOSES the door on the car. Thankfully it hasn't hit the car - I either scoot in super fast, or the rear wheel trips the door safety sensor. Standard sensor height is 4-6", I don't want to raise the sensor.

Why is the car auto-closing the door? I am still well within the "distance" where it's supposed to open/close the door. What's even more frustrating, since I am only pulling the car into the garage, I don't put on my seatbelt. Which means the belt warning blocks access to the garage door button on the screen.

Easy fix: Disable both auto open/close.

Lots of discussion about this previously but the general consensus is that it's not worth the risk to avoid tapping the screen once whenever you need to open/close. When you disable those, the car will even pop-up the garage door controls as you're arriving/leaving so you quite literally only need to press the door you want to trigger. One tap.

The default behavior is ‘auto-open’ when in drive and then ‘auto-close’ when in drive or reverse (I believe, not definitive on reverse) leaving the geolocated by 20 feet.

From the sounds of it, you might need to reset the ‘location’ of the garage door.

My situation is: I have to reverse down the drive way, pull close to the door, throw it in drive and auto-open triggers. Put it back in reverse, back in. Next time I get in, open the garage from wall or from the car BEFORE I put it in drive. When I put it in drive, auto-close will trigger about 20 feet from the garage location.

I don’t understand how the door can open and close again in such a way as to possibly hit the car. Once it activates in my car, it will not activate again until the car is the set distance, 30 or 40 feet for example, away from the garage.

Reactions: cwanja
You can raise the sensors so the whole car is detected rather than just the wheels. Or better yet add a second set of sensors at the raised height. Personally I think there should be a second set even if you don’t have the auto close function. No chance for an oops then.

We’ve used the auto open/close for seven years now. There would be a fight if we had to give it up.

And I just push the button for the doors to close. Not all that hard. I don't need "auto" closing, and I don't need to worry about the door coming down as I drive into the garage. After I park, I close the doors when I leave the garage, manually pushing the button. Personally, I wouldn't trust my door opener to do anything while I'm driving in or out.

I don’t understand how the door can open and close again in such a way as to possibly hit the car. Once it activates in my car, it will not activate again until the car is the set distance, 30 or 40 feet for example, away from the garage.

Me either, thus this thread. I think that for whatever reason, getting in and out to move a box etc, the car thinks I'm leaving and closes the door.