Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can Someone Explain To Me Why The LR RWD Is Going Away?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm supremely curious. If it was still offered as a config on the website I'd have to imagine it would be one of the most popular configurations. Even with it "off menu", the "LR RWD Waiting Room" thread is proof of people's continued interest.

With the more expensive S and X that Dual Motor istandard makes more sense, but with the Model 3 (and next year with the Model Y) there's lots of reasons for people to want the longest range and not dual motor, if they live in southern states or other countries where winter weather isn't a big concern.

Are we living in a bubble and really no one is buying them? Or could it be it's the least profitable Model 3 config?

Thoughts?
I'm told it's a manufacturing issue. They don't have the capability to build as many of the models as they would like. It should come back into production. So I'm told. I have the LR RWD and love it. Picked mine up in March (2019).

I can understand that they stopped/paused production of the LR RWD for said reasons. But I do not understand that they haven't even produced the cars for the open orders, so people are now sitting on an open order and no expected delivery date at all. Ordered my LR RWD over 2 months ago (right after it became available in Europe) and now get the message "Sorry, no idea when or if you will ever receive your car. Would you like to upgrade to an AWD with lower range and less efficiency for an additional 5k?"

I can understand that they stopped/paused production of the LR RWD for said reasons. But I do not understand that they haven't even produced the cars for the open orders, so people are now sitting on an open order and no expected delivery date at all. Ordered my LR RWD over 2 months ago (right after it became available in Europe) and now get the message "Sorry, no idea when or if you will ever receive your car. Would you like to upgrade to an AWD with lower range and less efficiency for an additional 5k?"

Three months ago, when Tesla discontinued the mid-range Model 3 with no advance notice, most buyers who had already placed orders were offered deals to upgrade to the LR RWD. Most people didn't get the range bump (worth $3000) for free, but most got half or more of that off. The "discount" was usually described as free upgrades on wheels and/or paint. I have no idea if Tesla might have changed their policies, or if things are different in Europe, but it might be worth trying to haggle on this point.

Three months ago, when Tesla discontinued the mid-range Model 3 with no advance notice, most buyers who had already placed orders were offered deals to upgrade to the LR RWD. Most people didn't get the range bump (worth $3000) for free, but most got half or more of that off. The "discount" was usually described as free upgrades on wheels and/or paint. I have no idea if Tesla might have changed their policies, or if things are different in Europe, but it might be worth trying to haggle on this point.
That's good to know. They are trying to upsell people with an open RWD order to an AWD here in Europe. Some are getting better offers than others. I would take an AWD with the same configuration as my order for the same RWD price. But I don't feel like paying more for a car with less range and less efficiency and in a configuration that I never wanted. (only Black/Black available on stock here)

It's also unfortunate that there was a car in my exact configuration (RWD/Blue/White) available as a brand new inventory car in Norway. So they sent it to Norway where nobody had this configuration instead of matching the car to my open order in Switzerland which has been generated out of a July 2016 reservation. I even asked Tesla if they can match this car while it was still available but they said no, cross-country matches are not possible. Which I kind of understand for logistic reasons, but it could have been matched to my order in the first place.
I'm now refreshing the inventory page every few minutes. :)

Reactions: navguy12
LR RWD will come back at some point. Just like the SR with cloth seats most likely.

Right now Tesla model 3 is production constrained (model S/X are a different story). Specifically they are still battery constrained (GF1 running at 24GWh per year instead of 35 for undisclosed reasons. Both Tesla and Panasonic not wanting to build out more lines yet). At 24 GWh that's 430k SR+ or 320k LR per year, assuming no powerwall/energy supply.

So LR RWD will be discontinued until demand drops (and Tesla isnt battery constrained) or Tesla expands battery production

What also hasn't been mentioned here in the 24 GWh, is that I believe thats a mix of both 18650 and 21700 lines. Which means there's significantly less Model 3 production capacity and an excess of Model S/X capacity. In regards the lack of capital investment in the battery lines, its a result in inefficiency and lack of qualified personnel willing to move to the Sparks, NV region.

Battery engineers are relatively in high demand, and Tesla/Panasonic pay isn't good enough to necessarily re-locate your family to the Neveda desert. They've already installed 35 GWh worth of equipment, they just need to work on the production efficiency and human capital to bring that capacity up.

• Disagree
Reactions: TheOtherPete
What also hasn't been mentioned here in the 24 GWh, is that I believe thats a mix of both 18650 and 21700 lines. Which means there's significantly less Model 3 production capacity and an excess of Model S/X capacity.

The last I heard, all of the 2170 cells going into Model 3s came from the Gigafactory in Nevada; however, all of the 18650 cells going into the Model S and Model X came from Japan. I'm afraid I don't have a reference for this, though, and I suppose it could be outdated. Also, this applies only to US-made Teslas; those made at the new Chinese Gigafactory will have their own battery supply chain, about which I know relatively little.

Reactions: TheOtherPete
What also hasn't been mentioned here in the 24 GWh, is that I believe thats a mix of both 18650 and 21700 lines. Which means there's significantly less Model 3 production capacity and an excess of Model S/X capacity. In regards the lack of capital investment in the battery lines, its a result in inefficiency and lack of qualified personnel willing to move to the Sparks, NV region.

Battery engineers are relatively in high demand, and Tesla/Panasonic pay isn't good enough to necessarily re-locate your family to the Neveda desert. They've already installed 35 GWh worth of equipment, they just need to work on the production efficiency and human capital to bring that capacity up.

18650 pack production is done at GF1, but not cell production. All 18650 cell production is done in Japan. The 24 GWh referenced is for 2170 cell production.

This shows tesla has little confidence in further battery production increases, they are fighting panasonic to at least fulfill their done deals and not do another mobile eye on them.

Anyone think pana does not care about maxwell acuisition? They know the lease end is comming soon and will only try to maximize profits on what is already invested. 150gwh per year will not come from pana.

Last edited:
This shoes tesla has little confidence un further battery production increases, they are fighting panasonic to at least fulfill their done deals and not do another mobile eye on them.

Anyone think pana does not care about maxwell acuisition? They know the lease end is comming soon and will only try to maximize profits on what is already invested. 150gwh per year will not come from pana.

Yeah, and the recent order of 10M kg of battery casings shows they might be about to go all in.. as that is a 50% increase over their previous years order.

• Informative
Reactions: navguy12
This isn't about what "everyone needs." This is about what Tesla needs to do to stay alive and continue to expand. It's the same reason why there are so few paint options: increased production complexity costs the company more money and slows down production. At some point when they bring more factories online (Gigafactory China, Gigafactory Europe), production pressure will ease, revenues will increase and Tesla will be able to think about adding more variety. They're selling every vehicle they can build right now, so the focus must be on maximizing production efficiency and gross margin.
Very well put, Big Earl. Excellent point!

LR RWD was discontinued last year and then brought back early this year. I’m not exactly sure what the logic is behind those decisions but I suspect it will make a comeback in the near future. It’s the perfect car for Californians who would prefer the extra range and don’t generally drive in winter like conditions. And California is their biggest market in North America so they can only go so long without offering the model before sales will be impacted here.

I know better than to claim the PNW has winter driving, but I found our LR RWD rather sure-footed on several ski mountain trips, and one snowstorm pass crossing in Oregon last December. Must be the weight. So I take exception to the idea that it’s a California car.

I was considering a SR+ but I think that the extra range plus, most importantly, the full V2 and V3 charging rate makes the LR RWD the best bet.

So once I'm in a position to see my car, I'll either keep my eyes open for a used one on Tesla's site (there's on one there now with FSD for $46,100) or maybe wait for them to make it available again later.

I know better than to claim the PNW has winter driving, but I found our LR RWD rather sure-footed on several ski mountain trips, and one snowstorm pass crossing in Oregon last December. Must be the weight. So I take exception to the idea that it’s a California car.
I would think it would be fine with chains or studded snow tires on even in "winter driving" places. One has to remember that not that long ago nearly all cars were rear wheel drive only with no traction control and somehow the people that owned them "survived" the winter.