Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can someone please explain me Phone key benefit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all.

Very confused about phone key option. Im not sure what is benefit of it.

To make it simple i will ask 2 question.

1. If phone key is enabled, can i open and start my car just with my phone in my pocket (without touching it - bluetooth ON )

2. My Tesla app currently saying " Enable Bluetooth to use as a key" . This means phone key is not present, correct?

Basically i want to know if i can use my phone (bluetooth) as a key to open and start my car without going trough options on my phone, something like im able to do with my other ICE cars using their keys.

Thank you

Hi all.

Very confused about phone key option. Im not sure what is benefit of it.

To make it simple i will ask 2 question.

1. If phone key is enabled, can i open and start my car just with my phone in my pocket (without touching it - bluetooth ON )

2. My Tesla app currently saying " Enable Bluetooth to use as a key" . This means phone key is not present, correct?

Basically i want to know if i can use my phone (bluetooth) as a key to open and start my car without going trough options on my phone, something like im able to do with my other ICE cars using their keys.

Thank you

It's as you say at the end. Walk up, open door, start, drive - phone in pocket.
If you are getting any issues it's usually phone related (Bluetooth comm. setting or any of the myriad of iterations of phones/features)

For example - iPhone 12pro - I need to keep the app open in the background or it will not work. Opening the app and not 'swiping' away (force close for iPhone) and all seems OK.

• Informative
Reactions: BitJam and Saturday
1. Yes
2. Correct - give the Tesla app BT access and go through the prompts to make your phone a "key".

Result: phone in your pocket will automatically unlock the car when you open the door, car is ready drive without having to place keycard on console, etc.

Reactions: fokap888
For example - iPhone 12pro - I need to keep the app open in the background or it will not work. Opening the app and not 'swiping' away (force close for iPhone) and all seems OK.

Sounds like you've figured this out, but for those who haven't....usually ensuring the Tesla App has bluetooth, background app refresh, cellular data, and location services turned ON will remove these issues.

With the phone key you don't have to take out the key card and hold it up to the A pillar to unlock the Tesla vehicle and then place the key card on the center console before you can start driving. You should carry one of the key cards with you as a backup in case the phone key won't unlock the Tesla. This has happened to me on a few occasions.

With the phone key you don't have to take out the key card and hold it up to the A pillar to unlock the Tesla vehicle and then place the key card on the center console before you can start driving. You should carry one of the key cards with you as a backup in case the phone key won't unlock the Tesla. This has happened to me on a few occasions.

Also the car will lock automatically when you walk away!

and best of all, get a keyless lock on your house and you can walk around jingle free, no keys for me :)

Yup, house has smart locks. I don't carry any keys.
Best part about cell phone as key....If you leave it in the house, the office or at a restaurant, you will know by the time you get to your car that it is nearby and go back and get it.

Seems like sometime in the last few updates I've lost the ability to use the phone and music functions over bluetooth. Thought the lock/unlock/start functions all still work.

Tesla confirms phone is connected as a key.

But Tesla no longer appears in phone bluetooth settings, nor can it be found by Tesla when trying to add calling or music streaming functions.

Bluetooth on with phone and Tesla. Tesla app has all permissions on. Soft / hard reset Tesla. Rebooted and powered off/on phone.

Nothing seems to get the calling and music street over Bluetooth back on the Tesla.

thoughts anyone ?

Seems like sometime in the last few updates I've lost the ability to use the phone and music functions over bluetooth. Thought the lock/unlock/start functions all still work.

But Tesla no longer appears in phone bluetooth settings, nor can it be found by Tesla when trying to add calling or music streaming functions.

Bluetooth on with phone and Tesla. Tesla app has all permissions on. Soft / hard reset Tesla. Rebooted and powered off/on phone.

Nothing seems to get the calling and music street over Bluetooth back on the Tesla.

thoughts anyone ?
The phone's key BT connection with the Tesla vehicle is handled by a separate BT connection from the phone's BT streaming connection. Try deleting the phone from your Tesla's BT phone/streaming settings and then repair the phone with the Tesla.

Reactions: bobby g
The phone's key BT connection with the Tesla vehicle is handled by a separate BT connection from the phone's BT streaming connection. Try deleting the phone from your Tesla's BT phone/streaming settings and then repair the phone with the Tesla.
Yes, when I picked up my car, the SA made it clear that the phone can be used in two ways:
  1. Set up as a key
  2. Paired with the car to handle calls, streaming, messages, etc.
You can do either or both functions, but they are independent of one another. Bluetooth must be on for both, of course.

thoughts anyone ?

I had to delete my phone from Tesla (and Tesla from my phone) and re-pair both key and audio functions after the most recent update.

Reactions: BitJam
It's as you say at the end. Walk up, open door, start, drive - phone in pocket.
If you are getting any issues it's usually phone related (Bluetooth comm. setting or any of the myriad of iterations of phones/features)

You have your phone set wrong and/or over thinking what you need to do.

You do not have to keep it running in background. You can kill it.

You need Location Always (Precise) and Background App Processing. That’s what background App Processing is for.

iOS will relaunch the app in background and you will NOT see it in your list of recently used apps. It will still appear as shutdown.

If you look at Battery usage you’ll Apps Background usage. I kill the Tesla App all the time. But you’ll still see it is consuming some resources. You’ll see another app in the list below consuming resources in background. I wrote it and I had to understand how it works. Even if I kill all apps and reboot my phone and not touch either app they will still work.

You will get warnings from iOS on Apps that behave this way because some users don’t realize they have apps that are consuming resources (because they can be invisible) And will ask if you want to continue allowing it.

If you start the app and background it or kill the app and let the iOS restart it is essentially the same thing. It still needs permission to operate in background if it’s not in foreground.

50957811846_39101fe0a2_b_d.jpg

Reactions: pl8dlikafiddle
The additional advantage of using the phone key is that the car automatically selects your personal profile when you get in, so you don't have to do it manually. A useful hint if you have multiple drivers - those who of shorter stature should add "Easy Entry" to their profile so that taller drivers don't have to wait for the seat to move back before they can get in.

My 3 seems to have an incredible knack for choosing the wrong phone when my wife and I are both in the vehicle...
There is a Bluetooth setting that enables you to set one ph
My 3 seems to have an incredible knack for choosing the wrong phone when my wife and I are both in the vehicle...
You can set an option for each driver profile for a specific phone to connect for calls and audio streaming.
Priority Bluetooth Device option doesn’t work

Yeah but we don't want a priority phone because it's not always me that's driving.

Most silly is when I pop out of the car quickly (like to open a gate), leave both phones inside, and when I get back in it switches to my wife's phone and starts moving the seat. Meanwhile she's been in the passenger seat the whole time.

Inexplicable.

Yeah but we don't want a priority phone because it's not always me that's driving.

Most silly is when I pop out of the car quickly (like to open a gate), leave both phones inside, and when I get back in it switches to my wife's phone and starts moving the seat. Meanwhile she's been in the passenger seat the whole time.

Inexplicable.

Have your wife get out and open the gate. Problem solved.