Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can someone please give me a sanity check on my charger wires?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ummm, you will find plenty of electricians and inspectors who will disagree with THOSE particular electricians.
My point exactly. Many will agree, and many will disagree. Something needs to be fixed either by fixing the electricians, or clarifying the standards. It isn't working, whether you agree of disagree on the point. Electrical standards vary by electricians. Either their training is substandard or their understanding varies because the standards are not clearly stated, and neither should happen -- yet it is.

Ask your electrician(s) this and please report back to us: "Why did you undersize my wiring? I said I wanted to charge at 48 amps, and the branch circuit needs to be 125% of that, which equals 60 amps. Romex is only good for 55 amps."

If you get this answer, you have your answer: "Umm...That's not how I see it"

• Love
Reactions: rjpjnk and Rocky_H
My point exactly. Many will agree, and many will disagree. Something needs to be fixed either by fixing the electricians, or clarifying the standards. It isn't working, whether you agree of disagree on the point. Electrical standards vary by electricians. Either their training is substandard or their understanding varies because the standards are not clearly stated, and neither should happen -- yet it is.
You're right Dave, the disagreement is maddening. I think the root of the problem lies in the strange allowance to use a 60a breaker merely because no 55a exists. This falsely leads people to believe it is now a 60a circuit capable of 48a continuous. I spent a lot of time myself looking into this and I believe RockyH is correct. Unfortunately for you this means you will need to configure your Wall Connector for 40 amps max and not 48. I would make them come back and correct the work to the 60a circuit you requested or just charge at 40 amps. It is still really fast.

Thanks, as follow up today they came back and swapped out to 60 amp breakers, and installed a 60 amp generator load shed module.
i WILL ask the inspector to fail me. Beyond that, the manager confirmed 60 amp is fine, I have an electrician buddy who has 150 employees say 4 gauge is better but 60 Ames is fine on 6 gauge, and I am going solar, and they said they use 6 gauge on all EV chargers and it is fine.
I’d rather 4 gauge, so again, will ask the inspector to look really closely.