Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can someone sell me on the black interior!?

Do you prefer Black or white interior?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So sorry to hear about your accident! Glad you're OK.

If you can get to your vehicle before they take it away, I wonder if you can just grab the white dash panel. It really just unclips - just pop it out.

Swap that in for the wood dash and you'd have a nice look.

But I LOVE the black interior. I, personally, wouldn't go with the white - we have WAY too many baseball games and other dirty stuff for that!

Reactions: omar
Just went from white to black myself last week. I can say Im glad I did it.
Now that I have black it is much easier on my eyes. The white was just so bright. Only thing that I hated was the wood dash.
Talked the sales manager into swapping me for a white one. Problem solved. Looks great.

• Love
I only had them on 1 car to date, my highlander. I was a big fan.

Totally get the appeal, but ...

3cy4bj.jpg

I chose black because it didn't cost me $1300. However I chose the Blue paint even though it cost $1300, so I'm not a very consistent person, am I? :) (in fairness, we wanted a an exterior colour but black vs. white interior we didn't have strong preferences on, so money wins)

I really liked the wood panel actually. I pretend I'm a woodworker (have all the tools, none of the time). Since the wood was only available in black, that was also a strong motivator.

Black can show little spills and such easier if it's kinda shiny when dry, especially if it's something sticky or not purely water (a drink, happy dog drool, etc.). But that means I can see where and what needs cleaning so it doesn't bother me at all.

Black is also plenty cool enough regarding temperature. Our '09 Honda Fit has a black body and black cloth interior. My '14 Honda Crosstour has a black leather interior. Both get significantly hotter in the sun than the Model 3, which doesn't make sense. Then if you precondition the cabin just 30 seconds prior to entering the car, the seats have been plenty blasted with cool air and the force of a hurricane.

Sadly, I just totaled my white interior LR RWD. I’m physically ok and thankful.

After owning the white interior for a couple of months, there were definitely some stains that were indelibly left on the seat. From baby wipes to magic eraser, nothing worked. I loved the look and feel of the white interior but it definitely is not stain proof IMO. I’m torn at the moment.

Basically, I’m asking for someone to sell me on the black interior. I know it’s more sensible in the long run. Anyone wrap their dash or done anything to change the black interior look? Please post pics!

Thanks

I agonized over white vs black. While I loved the white look, in the end I chose black for a few reasons: (1) As you note, white doesnt stray white for long, and if/when I sell the car I think black will look less "worn". (2) I'm in Seattle, and when it gets colder, black helps wam the car in the sunshine (especially through all that glass roof), which saves on heating which helps with range. (3) I (and others) noticed that the white finish to the dash panel (going all across the front of the dash) causes very visible reflections in the side windows on sunny days, which I found distracting.

HTH

--Tim

• Helpful
Reactions: Watts_Up and omar
I prefer the look of a white interior (had that on the Volvo C70 I traded in), along with the cooler temperature when the seats are parked in the sun. But I chose the black interior because I didn’t like the reflection of the white dash strip on the windshield while driving, and it avoided concerns about staining from things like indigo blue jeans. The $1000 extra cost for the white interior was also a factor.

• Informative
I agonized over white vs black. While I loved the white look, in the end I chose black for a few reasons: (1) As you note, white doesnt stray white for long, and if/when I sell the car I think black will look less "worn". (2) I'm in Seattle, and when it gets colder, black helps wam the car in the sunshine (especially through all that glass roof), which saves on heating which helps with range. (3) I (and others) noticed that the white finish to the dash panel (going all across the front of the dash) causes very visible reflections in the side windows on sunny days, which I found distracting.

HTH

--Tim
I had a very similar thought process. I thought I wanted the white, but the wife ended up talking me out of it for the above reasons. Additionally, she was worried about us getting sick of it over time. White might be fun and cool now, but in 2 years? 5? Black, on the other hand, is guaranteed timeless. Maybe I would've loved the white after 5 years, but it wasn't a $1000 gamble I was willing to take.

• Helpful
After owning the white interior for a couple of months, there were definitely some stains that were indelibly left on the seat. From baby wipes to magic eraser, nothing worked. I loved the look and feel of the white interior but it definitely is not stain proof IMO. I’m torn at the moment.

There - you said it.
White looks awesome, but is impossible to keep clean.
I would prefer some other alternative, but since the only one available is black, then black it is.

Case closed.

a

Black gets the awesome Alcantara door inserts.

You can also order these
Car Seat Cover FULL Set for Tesla Model 3 2017-2019 5 Seat Front Rear Oak White | eBay

Hmm, not a bad compromise. Maybe have those as my summertime seats.

I had a very similar thought process. I thought I wanted the white, but the wife ended up talking me out of it for the above reasons. Additionally, she was worried about us getting sick of it over time. White might be fun and cool now, but in 2 years? 5? Black, on the other hand, is guaranteed timeless. Maybe I would've loved the white after 5 years, but it wasn't a $1000 gamble I was willing to take.

My wife said the exact same thing!!! Haha.

I prefer the look of a white interior (had that on the Volvo C70 I traded in), along with the cooler temperature when the seats are parked in the sun. But I chose the black interior because I didn’t like the reflection of the white dash strip on the windshield while driving, and it avoided concerns about staining from things like indigo blue jeans. The $1000 extra cost for the white interior was also a factor.

Good point. Especially when I got my tint done, the reflection was amplified.

I don't like people being able to see what's in my car, especially at night. Black interiors hide anything you might have sitting in the seats, especially if your car is tinted. So privacy is why I like darker interiors.

With tint, I think black looks objectively better.

HTH

--Tim

Great, great points! I’m with you. I think over time the black will hold up better...

I chose black because it didn't cost me $1300. However I chose the Blue paint even though it cost $1300, so I'm not a very consistent person, am I? :) (in fairness, we wanted a an exterior colour but black vs. white interior we didn't have strong preferences on, so money wins)

I really liked the wood panel actually. I pretend I'm a woodworker (have all the tools, none of the time). Since the wood was only available in black, that was also a strong motivator.

Black can show little spills and such easier if it's kinda shiny when dry, especially if it's something sticky or not purely water (a drink, happy dog drool, etc.). But that means I can see where and what needs cleaning so it doesn't bother me at all.

Black is also plenty cool enough regarding temperature. Our '09 Honda Fit has a black body and black cloth interior. My '14 Honda Crosstour has a black leather interior. Both get significantly hotter in the sun than the Model 3, which doesn't make sense. Then if you precondition the cabin just 30 seconds prior to entering the car, the seats have been plenty blasted with cool air and the force of a hurricane.

Cabin overheat and pre cooling is a big plus with black.