Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can someone tell me about wheel offset for the MS?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
These are the wheels I plan to get for my MS, which will be here in late Nov. They come in both high and low offset versions. I prefer the look of the low offset, but I'm not clear on whether it's strictly aesthetic or if the design of the car will dictate whether the low offset will fit. I'll be doing 20 x 8.5 all around.

Giovanna Wheels Dalar-5 20x8.5 Black High Offset

The Tesla Owners Manual, Wheel specification includes the OE wheel offset.
All Tesla OE wheels have a 40mm offset.

+35 works for my winter wheels, but there is a minor rub of tire to inside fender liner when doing a hard turn in reverse. No harm done, just a frightening noise the first time you hear it. People use a hot air gun to soften the fender liner and push it out a bit for an additional 1 cm of clearance or so in that spot. Problem solved.

I would suggest +20 is pushing it a bit too far off spec.

It's amazing how much additional torque is put on the geometry of the suspension for an inch of offset that is off-spec... equivalent to adding another 1000 lbs of car on each corner. You want to keep as close to spec 40 as possible, for this heavy car.

• Informative
Reactions: Cowby
+35 works for my winter wheels, but there is a minor rub of tire to inside fender liner when doing a hard turn in reverse. No harm done, just a frightening noise the first time you hear it. People use a hot air gun to soften the fender liner and push it out a bit for an additional 1 cm of clearance or so in that spot. Problem solved.

It's amazing how much additional torque is put on the geometry of the suspension for an inch of offset that is off-spec... equivalent to adding another 1000 lbs of car on each corner. You want to keep as close to spec 40 as possible, for this heavy car.

Thank you. Very helpful.

I'm interested; what math was used to come up with that number?