Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can someone tell me....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey there,

I feel like am still new to this even though I have had my M3 for almost two months now. I read a lot about different things on charging and I am not sure what they mean. Can someone please what the numbers mean in the attached picture. I have mine plugged in and set to charge tonight at 11:30pm.

Attachments

• fITjHLiISWKkuZuRvzwExQ.jpg
    fITjHLiISWKkuZuRvzwExQ.jpg
    411.8 KB · Views: 83
It's basically the rate at which you are charging, and how many miles of range have been added over the course of your charging session. From left to right: Rate of miles being added per hour, miles of range added in this charging session so far, amperage at which you are charging, voltage at which you are charging.

Reactions: rodrego66
It's basically the rate at which you are charging, and how many miles of range have been added over the course of your charging session. From left to right: Rate of miles being added per hour, miles of range added in this charging session so far, amperage at which you are charging, voltage at which you are charging.

Thanks are the amperage good, bad or otherwise?

OK - let me try.
0 mi/hr
You are currently not charging, so you are gaining 0 miles of range per hour of charging.
+0
This charging session has added 0 miles of range
6/32A
You are currently set to charge at 6A out of a 32A maximum
248V
Your AC supply is at 248V

You are scheduled to charge starting at 11:30 pm

Are the amperage and voltage rates pretty good?

Actually, this is showing your car pulling 6A of “shore” power to do something other than charging the battery. Actual charging won’t start until 11:30.
I’ve noticed similar power draw when not actively charging. Well not quite that high, but I’ve seen 2-3A.
I think this one of the reasons why the amount of power actually used from the wall is higher than what you might think it is based on what the car reports for Wh/mi. Or even if you try to account for miles lost from vampire drain when not plugged in.
It makes it tricky to compare the actual cost of charging from home.
Just need to remind myself I didn’t justify buying this car for cost savings

Reactions: eprosenx
Actually, this is showing your car pulling 6A of “shore” power to do something other than charging the battery. Actual charging won’t start until 11:30.
I’ve noticed similar power draw when not actively charging. Well not quite that high, but I’ve seen 2-3A.
I think this one of the reasons why the amount of power actually used from the wall is higher than what you might think it is based on what the car reports for Wh/mi. Or even if you try to account for miles lost from vampire drain when not plugged in.
It makes it tricky to compare the actual cost of charging from home.
Just need to remind myself I didn’t justify buying this car for cost savings

Exactly. That 6a is “shore power”. Most likely as soon as you opened the door it kicked in the AC or heat.

It prefers to take shore power when it is an option since that avoids cycles on the battery and it maximizes your range if you are about to go somewhere.

I pre heat / cool my car before I go by using the app ahead of time. Love it!

Reactions: Rocky_H
Just to clarify, it should say 32/32A when it's charging if your circuit is functioning properly. Meaning it's drawing 32A out of the max 32A that you can draw with the UMC adapter that you're using. And you will see the voltage will drop by a few volts because of the load.

• Informative
Reactions: KG M3