Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can someone with a 2.0 please post a picture of their VDS?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So my 2.0 Roadster is currently at Tesla Service in Phoenix/Scottsdale. I had noticed my location was not updating in OVMS but the Nav system in the stock JVC was working. Mark pointed out OVMS gets its information from a separate system and said to look at the upper right of the VDS. I attached a picture below and the upper right reads, "N/A." So clearly the GPS is not working. That area should include altitude and heading information (e.g., 1100 ft and heading North).

Tesla service just called to give me an update and said, "Well you have the first 2.0 and it doesn't display that information." I kindly told them that indeed it does, and that "N/A" should not be in the upper right of the VDS. They indicated they believed me, but can someone with a 2.0 post or send me a picture of their VDS with the altitude and heading information? I want to send it over to support my claim (assuming I'm right).

It would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

IMG_5727.jpg

Nevermind. They figured out what I was talking about and are ordering a new GPS antenna. I am really glad the car is still under CPO warranty. I've had the subwoofer and now GPS antenna replaced since buying the car in 8/2013. Relatively minor stuff and the car runs great, but I wouldn't want to have to replace either of those on my own.

Old saying: Man who has a watch knows the time. Man who has two watches does not.

So where are you, Mark?

Whoever was behind that saying wasn't aware of modern voting logic and averaging systems. Me? I'm a techy :)

P.S. But, seriously, it is annoying. The lack of standardization in car bus messages (and correspondingly, hone automation) is annoying. Imagine if there was a standard. One GPS, and anything connected could pick it up. How about a clock? One master clock, and all the others pick up on it (dealing with DST). Don't get me started on GSM... Computer systems are smart, and they get exponentially smarter when you allow them to talk to each other. Like the neuron in a brain, the power (and information) is in the connections, not the neuron itself.

Glad you sorted this out. It still continues to amaze me that when I drive my Roadster it has 5 GPS in it - Car, Parrot Asteroid 2DIN head unit, OVMS on- board, Radar detector, and iPhone.

Love it!
+1 GPS here in Quebec! (although Radar detector's are forbidden and I don't have the double DIN radio)

Insurance companies over here 'force us' to install (yet another) proprietary GPS system for tracking the car down if stolen...
Call them Boomerang or Tag, it's another GPS.
The insurance will basically charge us an extra 300/400$ a year if not installed which is more than the price of the system.
Notwithstanding this, I'm still hesitant because these companies don't publish how they connect it
and I don't trust any one other than Tesla to hook something electric into the car!

Love it!
+1 GPS here in Quebec! (although Radar detector's are forbidden and I don't have the double DIN radio)

Insurance companies over here 'force us' to install (yet another) proprietary GPS system for tracking the car down if stolen...
Call them Boomerang or Tag, it's another GPS.
The insurance will basically charge us an extra 300/400$ a year if not installed which is more than the price of the system.
Notwithstanding this, I'm still hesitant because these companies don't publish how they connect it
and I don't trust any one other than Tesla to hook something electric into the car!

I had a Boomerang installed in my Roadster three years ago. It seems it's similar to installation in a Lotus. Has been working great but I agree it's a pain.

Well, that was interesting. I finally got my Roadster back today and it is thankfully fixed. They had the car for 6 days (including the weekend).

So, they first put in a new GPS antenna. They said the antenna was working fine, but they still weren't getting GPS data. Then they put in a whole new GPS receiver. Still not working. They ended up putting in an entirely new VDS and it still wasn't working. They thought it might be a wiring issue and I was told they got some regional high level engineers involved to comb over the logs. Per my paperwork, they ended up "manually pushing the firmware, performing a hard reset, and relocating the GPS antenna, the altitude and heading began to read."

Whew!

It works quite well now and I can't believe I got a new VDS out of this. So, so glad this car is under the CPO warranty.