Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can start and drive car without phone as key or card tap on console

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I noticed at least a month ago that my 2018 isn't requiring the console key card tap to start/drive away. 99% of the time I use my phone as the key, but I keep the card with me in case my phone dies, which did happen- I put the card on the B pillar, unlocked the car, got in, put my foot on the brake and it bonged and I was able to put it in gear. I thought maybe it was a fluke, but I also noticed that 2x in the last week, I have arrived at work (using phone as key) left the car as usual, and then 2hrs later gotten a phone notification that "Climate has been on for an extended period of 2hrs and has now been turned off" though neither time was "keep climate on selected". I'm not sure if the car is thinking I'm still in it all the time and is staying "on"? The windows do go up and the car locks as expected when I walk away with my phone, or tap the key card on the b-pillar after exiting... between when I noticed the key card issue and now, I think the car has done two or three software updates, it's now on 2022.28.2.

At some point they changed it so that after unlocking the car with the keycard for a certain amount of time after you wouldn't need to place it on the console to start driving.

I'm not sure what's going on with your climate control warning though. It seems like the car is locking when you walk away. I know you can tell it to keep climate on when walking away, but I believe you have to do that each time.

• Informative
Reactions: GtiMart
At some point they changed it so that after unlocking the car with the keycard for a certain amount of time after you wouldn't need to place it on the console to start driving.

I'm not sure what's going on with your climate control warning though. It seems like the car is locking when you walk away. I know you can tell it to keep climate on when walking away, but I believe you have to do that each time.
Ah ok, good to know on the unlock/drive mode, I guess they never said they made that change.. I may have to ask them to check the logs on the climate thing if it keeps happening. Today it didn't matter since I charged to 80% last night, but last night I didn't plug in so it would've sucked if it ran 2hrs and got me down to 20% or whatever the cut off for "keep climate on" is.

When you get out of your car, do you notice the lights staying on, music continuing to play etc, as if you were still in the car? It happened to me and it was my driver seat sensor. Sometimes the car would think I was still sitting. Not sure that's your climate issue but worth checking.

When you get out of your car, do you notice the lights staying on, music continuing to play etc, as if you were still in the car? It happened to me and it was my driver seat sensor. Sometimes the car would think I was still sitting. Not sure that's your climate issue but worth checking.
Hmm today I had paused the music as I entered the parking lot to talk to a co worker who was leaving.. I'll have to pay more attention in the future.. Good idea.

I noticed at least a month ago that my 2018 isn't requiring the console key card tap to start/drive away. 99% of the time I use my phone as the key, but I keep the card with me in case my phone dies, which did happen- I put the card on the B pillar, unlocked the car, got in, put my foot on the brake and it bonged and I was able to put it in gear. I thought maybe it was a fluke, but I also noticed that 2x in the last week, I have arrived at work (using phone as key) left the car as usual, and then 2hrs later gotten a phone notification that "Climate has been on for an extended period of 2hrs and has now been turned off" though neither time was "keep climate on selected". I'm not sure if the car is thinking I'm still in it all the time and is staying "on"? The windows do go up and the car locks as expected when I walk away with my phone, or tap the key card on the b-pillar after exiting... between when I noticed the key card issue and now, I think the car has done two or three software updates, it's now on 2022.28.2.

From the model 3 manual (its been in there as long as I can remember, actually). Bolded emphasis mine:

=================================================

Drive Disabled - Requires Authentication​

If Model 3 does not detect a key when you press the brake (a key fob or phone key is not detected or two minutes have passed since you used the key card), the touchscreen displays a message telling you that driving requires authentication.
If you see this message, place the key card behind the cup holders where the RFID transmitter can read it. The two-minute authentication period restarts and you can start Model 3 by pressing the brake pedal.

Reactions: AZAV8R
From the model 3 manual (its been in there as long as I can remember, actually). Bolded emphasis mine:

=================================================

Drive Disabled - Requires Authentication​

If Model 3 does not detect a key when you press the brake (a key fob or phone key is not detected or two minutes have passed since you used the key card), the touchscreen displays a message telling you that driving requires authentication.
If you see this message, place the key card behind the cup holders where the RFID transmitter can read it. The two-minute authentication period restarts and you can start Model 3 by pressing the brake pedal.
Thanks, I've had the car since March, and I do know that initially that was not how it functioned. You would have to use the key card 2x to go, which forced my partner to accept the use of his phone as a key, since he didn't want to do so initially but hated doing the double swipe on entry.

Has your physical routine changed at all when you get in the car? Meaning, did you used to get in and put backpacks / bags / items you were going to travel with in the car, adjust mirrors, etc and perhaps take 2 minutes to do that (and now do it faster than 2 minutes)?

Reactions: HelixSpiral