Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can "Summon" Pease Help Me?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got my Model 3 last week. I have no driveway up to my garage -- it's right on the street -- and it's a fairly busy street on a curve so it makes backing out difficult -- well, scary for me. So this is my actual question: If I summon my car to back out of the garage into the street, and if there is a car coming from the right or left, will the car stop? What will happen? Any advice I can get on this would be extremely helpful. Thanks so much.

I dont have an answer to your question, but I cant imagine that using summon would be easier / faster / safer than simply backing out yourself. Even if it stopped, you would still have to walk up to the car, and get in, to drive away. If the street is busy, thats time your car would be sitting in the street with you walking up to it.

Whether it stops or not, I dont think summon helps you in the situation you are describing.

==================================

on a completely different separate note, I corrected the capitalization of the thread since it was in all capitals before.

Last edited:
Thank you for your advice (especially that I shouldn't even be allowed to drive a car! ;-) ... I think my problem is that I've only driven the car a handful of times and I'm not used to having such a big car (like I said, before this I had the electric i3, before that the EV Fiat, and other micro cars), so I think it's probably a matter of me getting used to the size of the car (and I know I will; it's just that now, it feels like I'm driving a stretch limo). Thanks everyone!

As others have said, I don’t think it would work on a public road, but even if you did, you’d definitely don’t want to do that.

Now, maybe instead you could use summon (or auto park maybe?) to back into your garage? That way, you can just turn onto the road when you leave.

Hey OP, I have 2 comments. First, for some strange reason, our Teslas DO NOT have 'cross traffic alert', meaning the car does NOT detect traffic coming from the sides while in reverse. I was surprised by that. So it'd definitely NOT be safe to rely on the car for that, and even less by itself (summon). My second comment is more of a suggestion: I'd BACK UP into your driveway, if you can. So you can leave in a much safer fashion going forward. Hope this helps.

Reactions: X-pilot
My friend was impressing us of the summon mode in a parking lot and he almost hit another car that was parked because it didn't stop, I won't do it into a busy street because if anything goes wrong your are liable for any damages, I'd park backward If I were you, it's easier/safer to leave your home that way.

...advice...

The rear of Tesla is lacking right rear, left rear, and center rear RADARs or a tall LIDAR on top so it has no capability for rear cross-traffic detection in your scenario as well as backing out perpendicular parking when both of the sides are blocked by adjacent cars.

Maybe Tesla can figure out how to fix that with the software but I am not sure.

YOU are always responsible for the vehicle. Using summon is at your own risk, You should always use the Press and Hold feature on the summon and always have a clear view of the car. You simply release your finger if you see a potential safety issue and the car will stop. Currently Smart Summon only works on private property as mentioned above...

You simply release your finger if you see a potential safety issue and the car will stop.
And stop it does, with FULL force. I was expecting it'd stop with regen, but nope; it even peeled off the tires. I had to release the button as the stupid car just past me. Ha ha. But I wouldn't use that feature any other way. And now you know it'd stop IMMEDIATELY, if you release that button. And that's a good thing. I honestly have more than enough being able to summon the car front and back, which the regular AP does, so I honestly have no use for FSD.