Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can Taillights be on a moveable object like the Trunk?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought that the main brake lights can't be on a moveable object like a trunk lid. With the new mules, it appears they have made all of the rear taillights part of the trunk lid. I'm basing this only on the fact that there is a line going down the outside of the taillights now that makes it look as if it's part of the trunk lid.

With that said, I don't think that is allowed.

***I'M NOT SAYING NO TAIL LIGHTS ARE ALLOWED ON THE TRUNK LID. I just thought there is a law pertaining to the actual brake lights.

Tail and Brake Lights can be on the trunk. Just look at the Chevy Bolt. The Bolt does have the amber turn signals lower down on the bumper next to the backup lights, but I don't know if that's for "style" or because turn signals must be on a fixed surface.

Tail and Brake Lights can be on the trunk. Just look at the Chevy Bolt. The Bolt does have the amber turn signals lower down on the bumper next to the backup lights, but I don't know if that's for "style" or because turn signals must be on a fixed surface.

Yep - same goes for the Audi Q5/7 - all the taillights were on the hatch:

q5-boot-open.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: strykeroz

No, it's not that turn signals must be on a fixed surface, it's that these lights become tail and brake lights if you are driving with the rear open. You can have tail and brake lights on the trunk, but you must have additional ones on a fixed surface (same with the Audi Q5/Q7).

• Informative
Reactions: CalBlue 85D
It was frowned upon to put bulbs on a trunk or a movable object because bulbs couldn't take the constant slamming all of the time. However....now that the majority of bulbs are LED's......they can take it. LED's don't have delicate filaments like bulbs.
There have been courtesy lights in doors for a long time and they get slammed way more often than trunk lids. Sure, it's a smaller bulb than a tail light but they still have a filament.

There have been courtesy lights in doors for a long time and they get slammed way more often than trunk lids. Sure, it's a smaller bulb than a tail light but they still have a filament.
Courtesy lights got replaced more than any other bulb. That was about 40 years ago when people used to come to our gas station and ask for us to replace that bulb. We used to also replace wipers and vill the car up with gas at the full service pumps.

Yep - same goes for the Audi Q5/7 - all the taillights were on the hatch:

q5-boot-open.jpg
Nope, the main brake lights for legal purposes are on the bumper. They're very clear in the picture. So no, the brake lights cannot be entirely on a lift gate or trunk. And yes, I own a Q5 and can confirm that the red stripes on the bumper are functioning lights and not just reflectors.

Nope, the main brake lights for legal purposes are on the bumper. They're very clear in the picture. So no, the brake lights cannot be entirely on a lift gate or trunk. And yes, I own a Q5 and can confirm that the red stripes on the bumper are functioning lights and not just reflectors.

Are those red stripes brake lights (they engage when you hit the brake) or just...rear fog lights?