Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can Tesla add Radar Back at a Later Date?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would go back to the question, then, of can the radar unit be retrofitted, and would that cause the car to set itself to “radar=yes” or is more hacking required for the car to know that the radar module is there? Seems like acquiring a single radar unit not that hard and would increase the measure of safety substantially on my future Model Y
As some already stated, they did install it and Tesla Service was required to enable it. I looked on ebay and even Amazon (used), its about $100~200 for the part, and the wiring harness/mount is still in the car (cheaper to retrofit if Vision-Only didn't pan out).

I would go back to the question, then, of can the radar unit be retrofitted, and would that cause the car to set itself to “radar=yes” or is more hacking required for the car to know that the radar module is there? Seems like acquiring a single radar unit not that hard and would increase the measure of safety substantially on my future Model Y

"more hacking needed". Simply plugging it in doesnt work. Perhaps search for posts by the person who said they did it (@YieldFarmer ), which is where I am getting that information from as I dont have first hand knowledge.

Reactions: YieldFarmer
As previously discussed, yes, you can retrofit. More hacking is required - it won’t recognize/use radar just from installing it. This is not something the average person could do.

As some already stated, they did install it and Tesla Service was required to enable it. I looked on ebay and even Amazon (used), its about $100~200 for the part, and the wiring harness/mount is still in the car (cheaper to retrofit if Vision-Only didn't pan out).
I don’t think Tesla Service would enable it. If they would then why would someone hack it?

"more hacking needed". Simply plugging it in doesnt work. Perhaps search for posts by the person who said they did it (@YieldFarmer ), which is where I am getting that information from as I dont have first hand knowledge.
I was also going on "i heard someone say it worked in the forum"... after reading that guy's thread... I'd put it up there with "highly unlikely" unless Tesla Service assists.

I don’t think Tesla Service would enable it. If they would then why would someone hack it?
I am the guy discussed who did the retrofit.

Service (mobile and over the phone) refused to update my gw config to tell the car a radar was installed.

So, a little hacking is required. But it’s surely possible (and a great improvement to AP)