Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can Tesla Mobile Connector be used as a J1772 source device?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Chico

MX 85D, MS P85
Dec 30, 2013
NorCal
Hi - I have a Tesla Model S. I just picked up a 1999 Ford Ranger Electric pickup truck with a NiMH battery pack. The truck is not running and I'm starting to diagnose what's wrong.

The truck has an onboard charger but didn't come with any external charger/connector. I can convert the truck's AVCON connector to J1772 and buy an external J1772 device (for example, Home Depot's Schneider Electric EVlink 30 Amp Generation 2.5 - Enhanced Model Indoor Electric Vehicle Charging Station-EV230WS at The Home Depot ).

This got me wondering: I'm not clear on just what the Tesla Mobile Connector is or how it works. Can the Mobile Connector, with a custom J1772 plug adaptor on the end, be used instead of a J1772 device? Or is it a proprietary Telsa device that uses different protocols/electrical specifications than J1772? The fact that the Model S, with a Tesla J1772 plug adaptor, can be charged directly from a J1772 device got me wondering if I could use the Tesla Mobile Connector for my Ford Ranger EV.

I'm doubtful, but I haven't been able to find a definitive technical description of how the Tesla Mobile Connector works...

Great! Thanks for the link. Now I need to build an adaptor that goes UMC -> J1772....

You can also put a "Y" in the cable. In other words, cut off the Tesla connector with enough wire for a service end, then splice in a "Y" connection to make a two headed beast, one Tesla connector, and one J1772 connector. You can then use either connector, just not both at the same time. This would obviously void the warranty, and should only be used by you, but it should work. Good Luck!

You can also put a "Y" in the cable. In other words, cut off the Tesla connector with enough wire for a service end, then splice in a "Y" connection to make a two headed beast, one Tesla connector, and one J1772 connector. You can then use either connector, just not both at the same time. This would obviously void the warranty, and should only be used by you, but it should work. Good Luck!

Yeah, options abound. Lots of great info in the link above. I wonder if we'll get to keep the UMC when the update units go out?

Beware that with this "Y" solution, if you charge a vehicle using the J1772 head, the UMC head becomes "hot" too. And vice versa.
The point of EVSEs is to never have any "hot" plugs dangling around.

I suggest to convert the UMC plug to J1772 and use the Tesla J1772->UMC adapter, should you want to charge a Model S.

Beware that with this "Y" solution, if you charge a vehicle using the J1772 head, the UMC head becomes "hot" too. And vice versa.

I suggest to convert the UMC plug to J1772 and use the Tesla J1772->UMC adapter, should you want to charge a Model S.

Good advice.

You also may want to consider buying a clipper creek CS-25 or CS-40 for the Ranger EV. They cost about $500-600, and have a good reputation for reliability.

GSP

That is very true and care should be exercised, but the unused connector is hot in the same sense as the female end of an extension cord that is plugged into the wall is hot. If you poke a conductor (wire, nail, screw, etc) into the recessed contacts of the connector, you will get live voltages, but normal contact will not expose any hazardous Voltages.

You also may want to consider buying a clipper creek CS-25 or CS-40 for the Ranger EV. They cost about $500-600, and have a good reputation for reliability.

For a mobile solution the new compact AeroVironment EVSE might also be a good solution: TurboCord.

I've already had my UMC replaced once in less then 3 months of ownership, so I don't recommend voiding warranty (not to mention the possible fire and safety issues)

For a mobile solution the new compact AeroVironment EVSE might also be a good solution: TurboCord.

I've already had my UMC replaced once in less then 3 months of ownership, so I don't recommend voiding warranty (not to mention the possible fire and safety issues)

TurboCord looks ok, but it's a 16A EVSE, so rather limited for the new 6.6KW charger on the new Leaf, or the 10KW charger on a RAV4EV.

Sorry to revive a zombie thread, but I need to report that this is indeed possible.
Behold this cursed object.

Attachments

• 20200921_190554.jpg
    20200921_190554.jpg
    628.2 KB · Views: 87
Sorry to revive a zombie thread, but I need to report that this is indeed possible.
Behold this cursed object.

Why's that a better option than this? A valid answer is, of course, "this thing was far cheaper to make".

(for those not clicking on the link it is a dongle that converts the wiring of the tesla style plug into a J1772 style plug.) Hopefully they tested out what happens when you plug it into your leaf and a supercharger, but whatever...