TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Can Tesla Mobile Connector be used as a J1772 source device?

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by Chico, Feb 11, 2014.

1. Chico

Chico MS P85

Hi - I have a Tesla Model S. I just picked up a 1999 Ford Ranger Electric pickup truck with a NiMH battery pack. The truck is not running and I'm starting to diagnose what's wrong.

The truck has an onboard charger but didn't come with any external charger/connector. I can convert the truck's AVCON connector to J1772 and buy an external J1772 device (for example, Home Depot's Schneider Electric EVlink 30 Amp Generation 2.5 - Enhanced Model Indoor Electric Vehicle Charging Station-EV230WS at The Home Depot ).

This got me wondering: I'm not clear on just what the Tesla Mobile Connector is or how it works. Can the Mobile Connector, with a custom J1772 plug adaptor on the end, be used instead of a J1772 device? Or is it a proprietary Telsa device that uses different protocols/electrical specifications than J1772? The fact that the Model S, with a Tesla J1772 plug adaptor, can be charged directly from a J1772 device got me wondering if I could use the Tesla Mobile Connector for my Ford Ranger EV.

I'm doubtful, but I haven't been able to find a definitive technical description of how the Tesla Mobile Connector works...

2. araxara

araxara S-P85#3,218 X-90D#3,299

3. Chico

Chico MS P85

Great! Thanks for the link. Now I need to build an adaptor that goes UMC -> J1772....

4. Cottonwood

Cottonwood Roadster#433, Model S#S37

You can also put a "Y" in the cable. In other words, cut off the Tesla connector with enough wire for a service end, then splice in a "Y" connection to make a two headed beast, one Tesla connector, and one J1772 connector. You can then use either connector, just not both at the same time. This would obviously void the warranty, and should only be used by you, but it should work. Good Luck!

5. Chico

Chico MS P85

Yeah, options abound. Lots of great info in the link above. I wonder if we'll get to keep the UMC when the update units go out?

6. araxara

araxara S-P85#3,218 X-90D#3,299

The update is just for the NEMA 14-50 adapter plug, not the whole UMC. But who knows if they will be trying to reclaim the old adapter plug?

7. VolkerP

VolkerP EU Model S P-37

Beware that with this "Y" solution, if you charge a vehicle using the J1772 head, the UMC head becomes "hot" too. And vice versa.
    The point of EVSEs is to never have any "hot" plugs dangling around.

I suggest to convert the UMC plug to J1772 and use the Tesla J1772->UMC adapter, should you want to charge a Model S.

8. GSP

GSP Member

Good advice.

You also may want to consider buying a clipper creek CS-25 or CS-40 for the Ranger EV. They cost about $500-600, and have a good reputation for reliability.

GSP

9. Cottonwood

Cottonwood Roadster#433, Model S#S37

That is very true and care should be exercised, but the unused connector is hot in the same sense as the female end of an extension cord that is plugged into the wall is hot. If you poke a conductor (wire, nail, screw, etc) into the recessed contacts of the connector, you will get live voltages, but normal contact will not expose any hazardous Voltages.

10. liuping

liuping Active Member

For a mobile solution the new compact AeroVironment EVSE might also be a good solution: TurboCord.

I've already had my UMC replaced once in less then 3 months of ownership, so I don't recommend voiding warranty (not to mention the possible fire and safety issues)

11. mitch672

mitch672 Active Member

TurboCord looks ok, but it's a 16A EVSE, so rather limited for the new 6.6KW charger on the new Leaf, or the 10KW charger on a RAV4EV.

12. liuping

liuping Active Member

True, but should be more than enough for to OP's "1999 Ford Ranger Electric pickup" :)

13. Chico

Chico MS P85

#13 Chico, Feb 15, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2014
    Not quite. The Ford Ranger EV has an on-board 5.5 kW charger. The original PCS unit (EVSE) required a 40 amp circuit.