Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can Tesla mobile service fix this panel gap?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just took delivery of my MYP. Everything seems tip top except for this panel gap on the driver side rear hatch. Passenger rear side looks perfect. I set up a mobile service appointment this week, and wondering if this is something that can be fixed by mobile service? I didn’t see an option to set up service center appointment in the app.

I’ve also read somewhere that the left gap is wider than the right due to the power trunk strut. True?
84DBA13C-3C87-43DC-B572-3370C4A7DB43.jpeg
971E8361-1DCC-4360-A8AF-B85672E060B6.jpeg

That looks like were the hatch meets the trim above the little fixed triangular windows.
Our gap is the same on both sides, just ask the tech if he can adjust it.
I had a mobile service tech visit and they can adjust/align the doors, that made me very happy.
He also told me that they can perform any repair via mobile service so long as it does not require a lift.

When we had our MYP in at the service center prior ( the roof glass had a small stress crack in the middle layer and had to be replaced ) they would not adjust anything for us, they said that they did not have the proper tools and that it would have to go to a Tesla approved body shop.

Last edited:
Reactions: Blurrryvision
That looks like were the hatch meets the trim above the little fixed triangular windows.
Our gap is the same on both sides, just ask the tech if he can adjust it.
I had a mobile service tech visit and they can adjust/align the doors, that made me very happy.
He also told me that they can perform any repair via mobile service so long as it does not require a lift.

When we had our MYP in at the service center prior ( the roof glass had a small stress crack in the middle layer and had to be replaced ) they would not adjust anything for us, they said that they did not have the proper tools and that it would have to go to a Tesla approved body shop.
Yup that’s where the gap is located. The rear driver side door also has a noticeable gap.

The passenger side looks perfect. If mobile service technician can just adjust these parts slightly that would be awesome.

Attachments

• 12D6CBF5-2A5B-47CE-80B6-6B8855592F68.jpeg
    12D6CBF5-2A5B-47CE-80B6-6B8855592F68.jpeg
    606.4 KB · Views: 675
Just took delivery of my MYP. Everything seems tip top except for this panel gap on the driver side rear hatch. Passenger rear side looks perfect. I set up a mobile service appointment this week, and wondering if this is something that can be fixed by mobile service? I didn’t see an option to set up service center appointment in the app.

I’ve also read somewhere that the left gap is wider than the right due to the power trunk strut. True?
View attachment 810477View attachment 810478
Mine was same as yours. Large gap on driver side & hardly any gap on passenger. Tesla had to send car to body shop. When I got car back they reduced gap on driver side and increased gap on passenger side so they are each similar. Not too big & not too small. YMMV. Include photos with your report. If they feel Mobil tech can not handle, they will advise you. Good luck.

Doors and hatch are very heavy for a single mobile tech to manage. They'll need a door dolly to adjust the gaps and a hoist to hold the hatch in the open position to adjust hinges. I wouldn't hold my breath on some, if not all of these gap issues. They may very well be "within spec" as far as Tesla is concerned.

Doors and hatch are very heavy for a single mobile tech to manage. They'll need a door dolly to adjust the gaps and a hoist to hold the hatch in the open position to adjust hinges. I wouldn't hold my breath on some, if not all of these gap issues. They may very well be "within spec" as far as Tesla is concerned.
Yea I had that thought too. May need to schedule at the service center after mobile service comes to check it out.

Update: Had the same gap issues as above and booked a service app't in Knoxville. They got me in on time and a couple of hours later got the text that they were done, same time as my shopping. No more issues about my issues. Do Dah! Thanks to SA Craig and the techs in the relatively "knew Knoxville" center for the attention and the gap tweaking!
Even slipped me a few electrons so that I wouldn't have to make a stop on the way home.
Always happy to share the good Tesla service stories.

Generally anything hap related they require to be in service center. Not that they can’t do it multiple. Constant answer is that if they need something specific they have it at center but not always with mobile. So as a rule they just say now.

I had a loose bolt in the door area. I couldn’t reach it myself and it looked like it would be tough to do without taking the door off first.

Tesla said no. Then trying again they asked for photos and then said no. I tried again and mentioned the techs name who was here last and they came out and did it; and didn’t need need to take the door off.

Likewise they usually say no for paint touch up. I had the same problem trying to get them to come out and I it or even just give me the paint or give me a service credit. They came out, touched it up, and gave me touch up paint for next time as well.

I have same issue on my MYLR gap is much larger on driver side of lift gate. Would be happy if they could be even out. Lift gate cylinder is visible bent at upper ball joint. Don’t know if this impacts the gaps
I had the same issues during delivery and took it to the SC, they try to avoid touching it and ask is it closing fine and if it does then they not touching it,. "WITH IN SPEC" they said if they need to touch ever car to adjust panel then they don't have the time or man power to do other work. SAD. I end up going home and use a wrench and readjust myself (by a few mm). SAD... You just need to retouch up the paint on the bolt since they paint the car with the panel and hinge on and most tools will strip it.

I also look at 10 Model 3 and Y on the lot, some had those issue and some don't.. It is depends on the color / batch / vin / the month those car were built. I guess this is what we get by buying an appliance.

Before (pic with circle) after no circle

I know this is a new car, I am sure the next Tesla I will sure REJECT the one that has gap issues.

Attachments

• D8E7A381-2AC8-4282-AB5A-4A211FD8AEE3.jpeg
    D8E7A381-2AC8-4282-AB5A-4A211FD8AEE3.jpeg
    150.4 KB · Views: 480
  • 76F513B2-1A82-4259-B11F-176973CAAB8A.jpeg
    76F513B2-1A82-4259-B11F-176973CAAB8A.jpeg
    183.1 KB · Views: 437
Last edited:
Reactions: ilovecoffee