Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can Tesla offer AP HW upgrade to AP2 on AP1 cars ?

How much are you willing to pay to upgrade your AP1 HW to AP2 if offered ?

• $5000

Votes: 26 29.9%
  • $5000 - $10000

Votes: 20 23.0%
  • $10000 - $15000

Votes: 14 16.1%
  • Not interested

Votes: 27 31.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Those are investments that might go down or up. This one is a guarantee.

A car is not an investment, but it is an asset - with a value. A value that would go up more than $5k with the upgrade. That's a fact. Maybe in 10 years it will be a negligible upgrade. BUT I bet more than half of those 16 people who voted have less than a 5 year time line before they sell their car. So point remains. 16 vey strange votes from the higher end of the spectrum of wealth in the world.

Strange is my opinion. Whether it would be a good idea or not is a fact.

Very simple, I would rarely if ever use AP2.0. Therefore its value to me is much less than $5k. I don't plan on selling the car in the near future, probably not before AP 3.0 or even 4.0 comes out. At that point there is no way it would add $5k to the value of the car. Simple.

Assume you read through the entire article and subsequent posts by Jason (wk057). He would never do this again...too costly...took too much time. In the case of AP 2.0 it would require wiring and harness changes in addition to what Jason did. It's not going to be a simple $5k upgrade.
Yeah that was the point. He did it. But he wouldn't do it again. Ap2 isn't "impossible". But it won't be offered by tesla

I do not believe the advantages of AP 2.0 over AP 1.0 will come to fruition for at least 20 years!
Too much red tape and legislation from various locals and governments in the way.
The bottom line is that you will still have to tap the steering wheel like you do now for the AP 1.0 and there is no way a jurisdiction will allow the car to drive entirely by itself, for at least 20 years, as I mentioned. There will be too much opposition from safety groups etc.
If you are considering buying an AP 2.0 car in the belief you will be able to let it drive by itself, during its normal lifetime, you are mistaken.
Yes, it will have better sensors and cameras etc which can possibly warn you better, but in no way will we be allowed to drive it fully autonomously for a long time.
Of course this is my opinion and I could be dead wrong, but I'm pretty sure most districts won't allow it even if a few do.
What if Saskatchewan allows it but California doesn't? Will people rush up to the cold Canadian province to buy the car because autonomous driving will be permitted there and they think once purchased, they can drive it anywhere? I don't think so. Lot's of issues to be worked out. All it takes is for one municipality to say no. Not trying to stir the pot here at all. This is just my opinion and I could be dead wrong, as I said. I'm actually hoping I am dead wrong!
Everyone is entitled to my opinion of course! Lol!

Assume you read through the entire article and subsequent posts by Jason (wk057). He would never do this again...too costly...took too much time. In the case of AP 2.0 it would require wiring and harness changes in addition to what Jason did. It's not going to be a simple $5k upgrade.

This is quite a misrepresentation. He had to replace the steering/brakes as well, and drill holes for ultrasonics.

In the case of 2.0, it would be simpler.

I do not believe the advantages of AP 2.0 over AP 1.0 will come to fruition for at least 20 years!
Too much red tape and legislation from various locals and governments in the way.
The bottom line is that you will still have to tap the steering wheel like you do now for the AP 1.0 and there is no way a jurisdiction will allow the car to drive entirely by itself, for at least 20 years, as I mentioned. There will be too much opposition from safety groups etc.
If you are considering buying an AP 2.0 car in the belief you will be able to let it drive by itself, during its normal lifetime, you are mistaken.
Yes, it will have better sensors and cameras etc which can possibly warn you better, but in no way will we be allowed to drive it fully autonomously for a long time.
Of course this is my opinion and I could be dead wrong, but I'm pretty sure most districts won't allow it even if a few do.
What if Saskatchewan allows it but California doesn't? Will people rush up to the cold Canadian province to buy the car because autonomous driving will be permitted there and they think once purchased, they can drive it anywhere? I don't think so. Lot's of issues to be worked out. All it takes is for one municipality to say no. Not trying to stir the pot here at all. This is just my opinion and I could be dead wrong, as I said. I'm actually hoping I am dead wrong!
Everyone is entitled to my opinion of course! Lol!

Maybe in rural Canada, but not in tech friendly cities like Seattle/LA/SF, where we have tremendous traffic problems and people die every day in accidents. I would bet money on 4 years tops. In fact, as a TSLA investor, I already have.

Reactions: pilotSteve
This is quite a misrepresentation. He had to replace the steering/brakes as well, and drill holes for ultrasonics.

In the case of 2.0, it would be simpler.
It's not a misrepresentation at all. There are many more challenges with 2.0 like more cameras and sensors at a minimum. Could be other components as well, no one knows. Why don't you order and install the parts and let us know how it goes ;).

Listen, it's not just "wiring and harness changes in addition to what Jason did".

We're talking about a completely new hardware suit, carefully integrated into the vehicles chassis, wiring harnesses, cooling and software systems - NOT designed for retrofit ease.

So I imagine that firstly, you'll need to spend several hours - if not days or weeks- to study the vehicles wiring diagrams and parts manuals. Of course, you will need to order all your new HW, that is at least your cameras, parking sensors, wiring harnesses, AP2.0-ECU +++

Secondly, you'll need some hours (if not days or weeks) figuring out how the HW changes will relate to SW changes. What updates etc, are necessary?

Thirdly, all the existing AP1.0 hw needs to be dismantled. That's - at least - the windshield (complete with the MobilEye camera), the front bumper panel, side and back panels (for the parking sensors and side repeater cameras), ALL the main bundles of wiring harnesses running tough the car, plus the rear view camera. The wiring dismantling process alone should take quite a long time. Remember, to access all the necessary wire harnesses, you'll need to open a whole lot of "none-AP1.0-related" trim garnish and so forth.

Ok, fourth: You might need to do some structural changes to the aluminium body itself. I'm mainly talking about the B-pillars: I'm pretty sure the exact location of those new cams weren't thought of when the old cars were manufactured. But don't expect there to be no other necessary "hard hardware" changes to the car. Maybe you'll need to drill some new holes, attach some new brackets etc,

Fifth: Only now you're ready to start putting in the new AP2.0 HW in your car. I bet this isn't done in a day.

Sixth: Replace broken panel clips etc., and seal the car back up.

Seventh: What's the point of all this new hardware, if it's not (A) properly calibrated, and (B) properly flashed with current firmware and the whole car updated with newb hardware codes, so that any new OTA SW-bundle targets your car as an AP2.0' and not AP1.0 vehicle.

@wk057 wrote he did the non-AP-to-AP1-upgrade for "less than $ 9000" - not including labor. That's a one camera, one radar and 12 ultrasonics upgrade. Let me see you do the upgrade to AP2.0 for anything less than twice than this - plus labor - and I'll be hands down very impressed.

Good luck

Last edited:
Reactions: Footer and MP3Mike
Listen, it's not just "wiring and harness changes in addition to what Jason did".

We're talking about a completely new hardware suit, carefully integrated into the vehicles chassis, wiring harnesses, cooling and software systems - NOT designed for retrofit ease.

So I imagine that firstly, you'll need to spend several hours - if not days or weeks- to study the vehicles wiring diagrams and parts manuals. Of course, you will need to order all your new HW, that is at least your cameras, parking sensors, wiring harnesses, AP2.0-ECU +++

Secondly, you'll need some hours (if not days or weeks) figuring out how the HW changes will relate to SW changes. What updates etc, are necessary?

Thirdly, all the existing AP1.0 hw needs to be dismantled. That's - at least - the windshield (complete with the MobilEye camera), the front bumper panel, side and back panels (for the parking sensors and side repeater cameras), ALL the main bundles of wiring harnesses running tough the car, plus the rear view camera. The wiring dismantling process alone should take quite a long time. Remember, to access all the necessary wire harnesses, you'll need to open a whole lot of "none-AP1.0-related" trim garnish and so forth.

Ok, fourth: You might need to do some structural changes to the aluminium body itself. I'm mainly talking about the B-pillars: I'm pretty sure the exact location of those new cams weren't thought of when the old cars were manufactured. But don't expect there to be no other necessary "hard hardware" changes to the car. Maybe you'll need to drill some new holes, attach some new brackets etc,

Fifth: Only now you're ready to start putting in the new AP2.0 HW in your car. I bet this isn't done in a day.

Seventh: What's the point of all this new hardware, if it's not (A) properly calibrated, and (B) properly flashed with current firmware and the whole car updated with newb hardware codes, so that any new OTA SW-bundle targets your car as an AP2.0' and not AP1.0 vehicle.

@wk057 wrote he did the non-AP-to-AP1-upgrade for "less than $ 9000" - not including labor. That's a one camera, one radar and 12 ultrasonics upgrade. Let me see you do the upgrade to AP2.0 for anything less than twice than this - plus labor - and I'll be hands down very impressed.

Good luck
I hope your not quoting me thinking I believe this effort is worth it, I don't at all.

Good luck

No offense- but have you seen one of the new Autopilot 2.0 vehicles? They haven't changed much in terms of structural design. The side cameras replace the side turn indicators. The ultrasonics use the same holes- and it could be as simple as swapping the hardware. The B pillar cameras would, at worst, require getting the new upper portions of the B pillars.

I'm not even sure you would need to dismantle the front bumper. I think the ultrasonics can be accessed underneath the wheel well- but removing the front bumper isn't the end of the world. The rear bumper is a total B*^&% but again, not the end of the world.

All the wiring would have to change- true- but until you take one apart, you can't possibly know how hard or simple it would be. It also doesn't have to be the cleanest thing. You just need to get the wires from the cameras to the computer. I've installed my own dashcam, front and rear lighted T. These things aren't impossible or even super hard. You just have to know what you're doing. The first one will obviously be the hardest.

The hardest hurdle is simply getting the software activated when you are all done. Maybe Tesla will be cooperative, maybe not. Comparing it to Wk057's AP 1.0 upgrade is hilarious. He had to drill holes in a new bumper, replace the steering column, brakes, etc. I hardly think AP 2.0 would be harder.

We aren't talking impossible here- or even super hard. In fact, relative to launching rockets or building an electric supercar in the first place, this is trivial.