Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can Tesla PW's be connected to a different brand of solar roof panels?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have 3 PW's in the basement and on 2 occasions Tesla has come out and said, after many months, that the roof sag between beams won't allow them to install the panels. There is no structural problem to the roof. The house is a 1928 and roof is about 10 years old. I want to be able to use the PW's as a generator in case of power outage and as is, only lasts about 24 hours. Is there another solar company that will install and connect to the PW's? SunRun has refused.

The answer to your thread title question is " yes, powerwalls can be connected to just about any AC coupled solar panels, so just about any PV panels sold can be connected to them.

Now, your issue isnt that. You have 2 PV installation companies that have refused to do something that is technically possible from a connections standpoint, so they are not refusing because of not being able to connect them.

They are refusing for some other reason, which has nothing to do with whether they will physically "work" or not (they will), so your statement that "there is no problem with the roof" is obviously something that both companies do not agree with.

The issue is with your specific home, not "can this be done" (because it can).

Reactions: ucmndd
Picture of roof
88E9E5A4-EC54-4B96-A325-B41C4EC2251B.jpeg

The answer to your thread title question is " yes, powerwalls can be connected to just about any AC coupled solar panels, so just about any PV panels sold can be connected to them.

Now, your issue isnt that. You have 2 PV installation companies that have refused to do something that is technically possible from a connections standpoint, so they are not refusing because of not being able to connect them.

They are refusing for some other reason, which has nothing to do with whether they will physically "work" or not (they will), so your statement that "there is no problem with the roof" is obviously something that both companies do not agree with.

The issue is with your specific home, not "can this be done" (because it can).
SunRun said “no” when I asked if they can connect my PW’s to their solar panels point blank on the phone without coming to the house or getting my address

SunRun said “no” when I asked if they can connect my PW’s to their solar panels point blank on the phone without coming to the house or getting my address

Well, thats incorrect because there are several here that have powerwalls and sunrun PV panels, including @holeydonut

Now, they may not WANT to, but thats different from "cant".

I had a 2007 set of akena panels 3kw and 2012 Panasonic 3kw connected to 2 powerwalls installed in 2019. The akena panels were connected to an inverter and the Panasonic were microinverters. The answer to your question is yes.

Maybe I need to go up higher on the food chain to get someone to say yes.......
Probably won't work with Tesla. They are the low-cost leader and backed up with orders. Local Tesla crew chief says they have over 100 in the queue. As a company Tesla seems to reject anything that is not straight forward and easy. Luckily there are plenty of other installers, check with more of those.

However, most have some basic requirements on age of roof shingles, type and quality of under shingle structure, etc.

In your case you already have 3 Powerwalls in your basement and now you want to add Solar. I think that installers are worried about the original commissioning and configuration of the Powerwalls and don't want to take on the liability of something happen during the installation that they can't control.

Maybe try just asking for a solar installation and then when they do the site inspection say, oh by the way how will this work with my existing Powerwalls?

Reactions: bart513
Well, thats incorrect because there are several here that have powerwalls and sunrun PV panels, including @holeydonut

Now, they may not WANT to, but thats different from "cant".

Naturally my experience isn't official Sunrun policy... but what I understand is:

Sunrun will install Powerwalls along side a new solar system that is also installed by Sunrun.

However, from what I've learned from other TMC users... Sunrun will not install Powerwalls on an existing system previously installed by Sunrun (wholly owned or leased). Also, Sunrun will not add to an existing system and commingle the old/new systems. The only way to get a Powerall from Sunun on a home with an existing solar system is if they add a brand new PV+ESS system while simultaneously leaving the legacy system untouched (assuming the old system is a line side tap and the combined stuff doesn't nuke the MSP's busbar).

And, Sunrun seems to be ok adding solar-only to a home that has existing solar-only from another installer. But only if that legacy system is wholly owned (no lease).

From what others tell me, Sunrun won't touch their house if it has an existing PV+ESS system from another installer; even if the new new solar system is a simple line side tap.

With the new Ford "V2H" thing, I have no clue what Sunrun will do lolol.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
I’d find a local installer where you can actually talk to the decision makers vs banging your head against the wall with a big national company.

As to if it’s possible, of course it is, most people just do it in the opposite order. I added two powerwalls this year to a SunPower microinverter system that was installed in 2017. You need to find someone who can both install solar AND reprovision your Powerwalls - look for a local authorized powerwall reseller.

Reactions: Vines
I’d find a local installer where you can actually talk to the decision makers vs banging your head against the wall with a big national company.

As to if it’s possible, of course it is, most people just do it in the opposite order. I added two powerwalls this year to a SunPower microinverter system that was installed in 2017. You need to find someone who can both install solar AND reprovision your Powerwalls - look for a local authorized powerwall reseller.
Yes that will be the plan to see which smaller companies are available in my area. Thank you

Reactions: no2gates