Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can Tesla remotely do DX if car is dead

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If everything is dead, it is probably the 12V battery in the frunk. You can jump start if you have access to another battery. If the car won't respond to your phone or electronic key, a service tech visit is required.

You can open the frunk by removing a plastic shield on the front and pulling the cords. Google for details.

Google how to find the battery, and give it 12 volts power. The car should respond. Then you can charge the car.

You probably will have to replace the 12 v battery soon, but at least you can get in, charge, and maybe drive.

Cross positing, sorry

I have recently found that I have a new hobby- showing local Tesla owners how to resuscitate their dead Teslas if they let the main battery (and subsequent 12 volt battery) discharge completely. Have helped several people on the Tesla Forum and even one of my associates who thought he could charge his 2019 Model S up to 100% and then fly to India for 3 weeks (and got stuck there for 6 weeks with the pandemic and cancelled flights. We knew this was going to happen!). Each model Tesla has different challenges. I am surprised more owners have not learned what to do when the Triple A guy

The strategy is the same for each car- have the main Tesla battery charger ready to go, get access to the 12 volt battery or the hot leads in the fuse box, jump the 12 volt battery until there is enough charge to open the charge port, and charge the car!

For the Model X (my car), you need to pull the plastic cover off of the front left side of the car and get access to the two pull cables labeled 1 and 2, release them sequentially, then open the frunk. Pull the housing off the flat part in front of the windshield and just behind the frunk, pop the fuse box in the left side (the battery is deep behind the frunk, you cannot get to it) and locate the hot lead and plug the hot lead of the charger to that and the ground of the charger to chassis, turn on charger and wait. When the car wakes up, open the charge port and charge.

(I also suggested leaving the 12 volt charger attached for a while to get the 12 volt battery up a little, until there is enough main battery charge to continue to charge the 12 volt).

• Informative
Reactions: X-pilot
My went Dead July 3 they tow it to the Tesla Dealer been waiting for it ever cents they say that when my turn comes they'll work on it so now it's 8 July I think they need to make some more dealerships
I am sorry to hear this, Teacherspet. It looks like you have a model S. Next time, try releasing the frunk (there are you-tube videos on how to do this, you have to pull the plastic out of the right and left front wheel wells to get to the two release cables), and open up the plastic cover over the front of the wipers, and open up the fuse box and find the hot lead. Attach a battery charger to the hot lead and ground the negative lead to the chassis, and let the car charge for a while. Might wake up enough to get the charge port open and start your car charging to see if that is the problem.

I am sorry to hear this, Teacherspet. It looks like you have a model S. Next time, try releasing the frunk (there are you-tube videos on how to do this, you have to pull the plastic out of the right and left front wheel wells to get to the two release cables), and open up the plastic cover over the front of the wipers, and open up the fuse box and find the hot lead. Attach a battery charger to the hot lead and ground the negative lead to the chassis, and let the car charge for a while. Might wake up enough to get the charge port open and start your car charging to see if that is the problem.
Thanks for the Reply I'll find out some day when I work on the car

Just found out the front motor and some other parts
Parts have been ordered for servicing your car and we will continue to send you status updates twice a week until your appointment is completed. Please refer to the list below to see which parts have been received or are still on order.

Parts Ordered
  1. ASY,COVER,WELDED,ANCILLARY,REAR,HVBATT
    Part #: 1032635-00-I
    Order Date: July 9, 2021
  2. ASY,HV/LV ANCILLARY UNIT,HVBAT
    Part #: 1099841-90-A
  3. FIELD KIT PYRO FUSE - PACK 2.0
    Part #: 1084549-00-F
  4. ASY,SDU,REMAN,FRONT,MDLS, MDLX
    Part #: 1134783-00-J

So one of the motors went bad and parts don't know why this happened they don't know either