Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can Tesla still drivable when charging cable is cut? [No]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just back from vacation, and saw something really got me baffled. this is in Northern Cal, and I was charging my car at a supercharger station. it was late night, the only other car charging is a Tesla Model 3. While driving by, I saw the passenger side of that car has a flat tire, so I decided to remind the driver in case he/she didn't know it. After walking to the car, I saw nobody in the car, and the car has the charging cable plugged in but cut, and it is not cut from the charging stall it parked. Since there is nobody in the car, I called the cop and waited for them. After they arrived, they tried to find the owner and told me this car was charging somewhere else, and the cable was but and then drove to this charging station. And since they don't have the app and key card, they cannot remove that charging plug. so what confused me is I thought with the charging cable plugged in, it is supposed that the car is not drivable. so how could somebody but the cable and still be able to drive the car without the app or key card? any idea? maybe there is a way criminal to steal the Tesla? I used to leave my car charging while go do other things. now after seeing this, I will always make sure the car is locked before I leave.
TeslaShasta1.jpg
TeslaShasta2.jpg

it is supposed that the car is not drivable. so how could somebody but the cable and still be able to drive the car without the app or key card? any idea?

Occams razor says the simplest answer is likely the correct one... by moving it with a tow truck? Also "I was charging somewhere else but dont have the app and keycard so moved the car here" is such a @#!$@#$ answer that whatever the owner says can likely be discounted.

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Tow is possible but I cannot image somebody will spend that money to move from one charging station to another...

There isnt any other way for them to move the vehicle so 🤷‍♂️

if you ever tried to start the car with a charging cable plugged in, you already know that it is not possible to drive the car like that (you said so yourself, thus the question).

We have no idea what the "why" is here, but what it ISNT is "i was charging at a supercharger, didnt have the keycard or phone key, so cut the cable and drove it to another supercharger to leave it with a flat tire".

That whole scenario is truly just crazy. Makes absolutely No sense.
The car can definitely NOT be moved with a charging cable inserted, I've tried that one myself. So glad it can't or I would have torn the charger out of the wall.

• Disagree
Reactions: MyEarHurts
how could somebody but the cable and still be able to drive the car without the app or key card?
The cable was removed from the original charging port, then cut and stored in the trunk of the car then the car was moved with a fob, key card or phone key. The vehicle sustained a puncture in the tire, then parked at the supercharger location, the cut handle with cable was then removed from the trunk and inserted into the vehicle charging port then the car was locked using a key fob, key card or phone key. The driver walked away and hasn't returned.

• Funny
Reactions: KenC and XPsionic
My guess:

DUI crash coverup. Owner sideswiped a parked car (damage to passenger side) then decided fabricate a story about their Tesla getting stolen from the Supercharger. Removed jump drive, cut a charger plug and drove to a different charge station to leave it and report the "theft" later when they sobered up or by someone else claiming to have driven to the charger.
It would never work but doesn't mean they didn't think it would.

• Funny
Reactions: KenC
I have another possibility. Notice that there isn't a Tesla icon near the charge port to say that there is a cable plugged in. Maybe, because there isn't a supercharger unit on the other side of the cable, the car doesn't think it is plugged in! A vandal cut the cable while the owner was away and when the owner returned, the button on the handle wouldn't release the charging handle, but because the car doesn't detect a charging unit, they were able to drive it, needed a charge and parked it at the current supercharger location. They don't know about the manual handle release in the trunk so they couldn't charge the vehicle to get to their destination, so they locked the vehicle and called a friend or an uber. No telling if the location is near a service center so the owner may have to coordinate a long distance tow.