Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can Tesla UK increase new car cost on existing order?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It does seem absolutely wild that Tesla would effectively exit from one of its core markets for at least 12 (and probably longer) months with two of the three models it makes, while it tools back up with a refreshed design. Another quirk to add to the "just Tesla things" list.

It does seem absolutely wild that Tesla would effectively exit from one of its core markets for at least 12 (and probably longer) months with two of the three models it makes, while it tools back up with a refreshed design. Another quirk to add to the "just Tesla things" list.
I agree, they could have carried on with the old S and X and done a transition to the new car. When BMW bring out a revised 5 series for example there are certainly no 12-24 month gap in production. The cost in lost sales must be enormous.

I saw yesterday that the refreshed S/X have a weird half steering wheel and no stalks on the steering column at all.

That in itself would be a complete deal breaker for me. Having the extra stalk on the Model S column is part of what makes the Model S/X more upmarket than the Model 3. To have none at all is just bonkers.

Why not look for a decent low milage second hand Model X if thats what you have your heart set on...

Lack of inventory stock doesn’t necessarily mean that they are sold out until the refresh. Inventory stock often magically reappears with a new boat load. But I don’t follow the Tesla shipping forecasts, lol.

Be interesting to see what happens here. Are they really going to lose a year of sales for the sake of a refresh on such an old platform? That is a long time for the production line to be down. Or maybe COVID-19 is a factor here and they are expecting very low sales volume during the pandemic? So using it as a time to revamp the whole production process? All guessing of course. I have no idea.

They shut the production line over 6 weeks ago. Globally there’s very little inventory in any country. They sold as much as they can before they announced the refresh to avoid sitting on obsolete stock would be my guess.

Tesla are hardly forthcoming with information when you read these pages, The OP can ask the question about March delivery but historically Tesla minimise inventory on hand at the end of every quarter and a UK March delivery would be a car built in Jan when the factory is shut. All these points to the chances of inventory being close to zero. And it’s not just the OP going through this, there are others on the owners forums saying the same.

Hia, I joined the forum today after I got the call. The price of the MX (5-seat; LR) I ordered has gone up from 89,330 to 92,430 so the 2K offer just about offsets the price increase if that's any help.

According to the guy I spoke to there will be no new deliveries of MX to UK in 2021 - I think some people were maybe hoping Tesla would honor the delivery of those if people wanted them, but seems that's not an option??

I've test driven the iPace and Audi and decided on the Tesla (more space thaan the iPace and the Audi interior is just too old fashoned for me). I don't think there are any other decent size EVs to consider ATM.

• Informative
Reactions: Peteski
Hia, I joined the forum today after I got the call. The price of the MX (5-seat; LR) I ordered has gone up from 89,330 to 92,430 so the 2K offer just about offsets the price increase if that's any help.

According to the guy I spoke to there will be no new deliveries of MX to UK in 2021 - I think some people were maybe hoping Tesla would honor the delivery of those if people wanted them, but seems that's not an option??

I've test driven the iPace and Audi and decided on the Tesla (more space thaan the iPace and the Audi interior is just too old fashoned for me). I don't think there are any other decent size EVs to consider ATM.

Only other is probably the Merc EQC.

I saw yesterday that the refreshed S/X have a weird half steering wheel and no stalks on the steering column at all.

That in itself would be a complete deal breaker for me. Having the extra stalk on the Model S column is part of what makes the Model S/X more upmarket than the Model 3. To have none at all is just bonkers.

I'm not convinced that the half steering wheel will be road legal in the UK. Steering wheels like this certainly weren't legal a few years ago, as I know a chap that fitted a dragster style one (looks very like the Tesla design) to his road car and was given a ticket to get it changed back to a full wheel.

I think these are legal in the US, or in some states anyway, as Matt Shumaker (someone I've known online in the EV world for over 15 years now) has made something very similar for his Model 3 and has posted about it on his YouTube channel.

Not something that appeals to me, TBH, but it does have some advantages, including removing the slight obstruction to visibility that a standard wheel can present in some circumstances.

This is looking really good then for MX residuals over the next 12 months! I might consider selling mine if the Y becomes available later in the year. I don’t really need the extra space in the X anymore.

With the X Tesla does seem to have people over a barrel. Whilst we don't need the space either all the time, been able to take the entire extended family on road trips (remember those times??), and just the luxury of powered doors, space, and that windscreen means a Y would be a massive downgrade.

There is literally no other EVs around with the utility and space of the X, but asking £90k as the cheapest option is crazy, £64k was the starting price when we ordered in 2016!!

Hard to know what the OP should do, but a used 100D X would be my choice right now. Falling that get the deposit back and see what else comes to market in the next 6-12 months.

With the X Tesla does seem to have people over a barrel. Whilst we don't need the space either all the time, been able to take the entire extended family on road trips (remember those times??), and just the luxury of powered doors, space, and that windscreen means a Y would be a massive downgrade.

There is literally no other EVs around with the utility and space of the X, but asking £90k as the cheapest option is crazy, £64k was the starting price when we ordered in 2016!!

Hard to know what the OP should do, but a used 100D X would be my choice right now. Falling that get the deposit back and see what else comes to market in the next 6-12 months.
With all due respect, that was 4 years ago. Can you honestly imagine being able to get a car like that from another manufacturer for £64k today?

With the exception of a few outliers cars have all gone up in price. Even your run of the mill Audi A5s are knocking on £40k before options. Granted the current Tesla prices are premium, but it doesn’t appear to be trying to position itself as the brand that absolutely everyone can afford.

Given your comments about Porsche which read to me like you place a value on exclusivity/aspirational perception, I’m surprised about your thoughts on the price of the X. If it was a £64k car today they would be selling 10 times as many as they are (if they could make them that fast, and they appear to be selling them fast at the current prices), and you’d see them everywhere and your funky doors etc would be less exclusive. Then, I suspect, you would be feeling and maybe complaining that the brand isn’t aspirational enough for you anymore (forgive me if misread)

Last edited:
With all due respect, that was 4 years ago. Can you honestly imagine being able to get a car like that from another manufacturer for £64k today?

We've had half a decade of virtually no inflation, we keep on been told battery prices are falling, Tesla claim they had 20%+ margins on these cars in 2015/16, yet Tesla prices are going up not down. Can someone explain that to me?

Last edited:
Reactions: Fly.guy