Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can Tesla wall charger be used with some adaptors to Charge other EV's/Prius Plug In?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
More problems...I am told that "Technically" I need a permit for any electrical work. Only licensed contractors can do any job which requires a permit.

One or two electricians highly recommended from the community forums said they can put a 50 amp breaker in the sub panel (Sub panel is in the two car garage where Tesla will be parked) and get the NEMA installed. Other two licensed electricians said they can't do that and will have to take it from the main panel (main panel is outside the attached single garage) and NEMA will be inside the single car garage/ near the main panel.

Problem I have is that if they put NEMA near the main panel/single garage then it will will be difficult for the charging cable to reach the car even with 24 feet cable. May be use extensions? I guess good problems to think about :rolleyes:Any suggestions?

Before anyone asks why not park Tesla in the single car garage....it is a whole different story;)

More problems...I am told that "Technically" I need a permit for any electrical work. Only licensed contractors can do any job which requires a permit.

One or two electricians highly recommended from the community forums said they can put a 50 amp breaker in the sub panel (Sub panel is in the two car garage where Tesla will be parked) and get the NEMA installed. Other two licensed electricians said they can't do that and will have to take it from the main panel (main panel is outside the attached single garage) and NEMA will be inside the single car garage/ near the main panel.

Problem I have is that if they put NEMA near the main panel/single garage then it will will be difficult for the charging cable to reach the car even with 24 feet cable. May be use extensions? I guess good problems to think about :rolleyes:Any suggestions?

Before anyone asks why not park Tesla in the single car garage....it is a whole different story;)
What do the licensed electrician's say is possible to be added to the sub panel in the two-car garage? Can you add a 40A/30A/20A to the sub panel? You can get NEMA receptacles for 40A (uses the same NEMA 14-50 as a 50A circuit), 30A (NEMA 14-30), 20A (NEMA 6-20) so you can still use the Tesla Gen2 Mobile Connector with the matching NEMA power plug adapter in the two-car garage.

What do the licensed electrician's say is possible to be added to the sub panel in the two-car garage? Can you add a 40A/30A/20A to the sub panel? You can get NEMA receptacles for 40A (uses the same NEMA 14-50 as a 50A circuit), 30A (NEMA 14-30), 20A (NEMA 6-20) so you can still use the Tesla Gen2 Mobile Connector with the matching NEMA power plug adapter in the two-car garage.
Thanks a lot. If I add a smaller amp breaker 40A, 30A, 20A to sub panel , will it reduce the charging capabilities/ miles per hour charged etc? Based on all the suggestions here, I already ordered a Grizzle E Classic 40 Amp 10 Kw EVSE.

See below the main panel and sub panel pictures. One of the licensed electricians said " Feeder is only good for 100 amps thus leaving all other breakers in the subpanel (most of my house) with only 50 amps. This will be overload and it will not pass inspection" hence the need to grab power from main panel which is outside the single car garage. Second licensed electrician said "There is no space in the sub panel for the breaker but there is space in the outside panel"
Main panel.jpeg
Subpanel2.jpg

So the first panel (that has three 2-pole breakers) is your main panel and the 2nd picture with 30+ breakers is the sub panel? It appears your subpanel is functioning more like most people’s main panels.

There are 2 issues here - the first is space in the panel and the second is the total load. As far as space goes, I would concur, but there’s plenty of space in the main panel to add another 2 pole breaker. As far as capacity goes, what’s the size of the main disconnect breaker on your main panel? your electrician can do a load calculation for you. If you only have 100A service then you’re definitely going to be pushing the limit but it’s also possible to schedule charging at night when most other circuits are not being used.

As far as charging rates go, yes, a smaller circuit will charge more slowly. That may or may not be an issue. There’s a chart of charging rates here: Gen 2 NEMA Adapters. For most people, a 30A circuit is fine. You can charge 200 miles (roughly 65%, think 15% up to 80%) in 10 hours which is as much as most people ever need to do in single day. You generally shouldn’t routinely charge to more than 80% anyway unless you need the extra range for a trip.

Not sure I am using the right terminology? First picture is what I call the main panel which is outside the garage. 100 amp is what I see on main disconnect.
There are 2 more breakers with 35 Amp and other two with 20 Amp labelled as Disconnect AIC#1 and Disconnect AIC#2 (current plan is to take the power from the main panel and install the NEMA right behind it in the first garage). Second picture with 30 plus breakers inside the second garage is what I call sub panel where I was hoping to have the 50 Amp breaker put in and install a NEMA 1450 next to that panel ( which is not happening due to reasons mentioned in the previous post)

The GrizzlE Classic 40 can be set to work with any circuit from 20A to 50A, so no problem installing the GrizzlE EVSE.

50A circuit rating > 40A maximum when charging
40A > 32A
32A > 24A
20 A > 16A

The Tesla Model Y charging rate, at 240V (miles per hour added while charging for lower amperages would be reduced accordingly.)

Charging Amperage / Miles Per Hour (estimated)
40A , up to 36 miles per hour
32A, up to 29 miles per hour
24A, up to 21 miles per hour
16A, up to 14 miles per hour

Bottom line, even charging using a 240V/20A circuit will enable you to add ~80 miles of range (much more than most EV drivers travel in their EV in a day) in as little as 6 hours charging at home.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
Thanks. So my options are
1) Put NEMA in the single car garage near to the main panel with 50 Amp breaker. Use some sort of extension cord to connect the Grizzle E Charger so as to reach the 24 feet charger cable to the car
2) Ask the electrician that can they put a lower amp breaker in the subpanel in the second garage so that Grizzle E can be connected easily but with lower charging rate due to lower amps breaker

Thanks. So my options are
1) Put NEMA in the single car garage near to the main panel with 50 Amp breaker. Use some sort of extension cord to connect the Grizzle E Charger so as to reach the 24 feet charger cable to the car
2) Ask the electrician that can they put a lower amp breaker in the subpanel in the second garage so that Grizzle E can be connected easily but with lower charging rate due to lower amps breaker
You would want to get a J1772 extension cord, not install an extension cord on the power plug end of the GrizzlE Classic 40. The J1772 industry specification limits the length of the power plug connector on the EVSE to 12".

You can use a J1772 extension cord, such as this one.

Besen J1772 Extension Cord, 32-40A, 20 ft. – EVSE Adapters

This J1772 to Tesla extension cord would cost more but would eliminate the need to use the Tesla SAE J1772 adapter.

NEW! Tesla Extension Cord – EVSE Adapters

Thanks everyone got the Grizzl E unit!!!

Licensed electrician who came by to look at the garage, where to install etc emailed me saying that he reached out to "Grizzl-E company to verify that a 50 Amp GFCI circuit breaker will work with the charging unit. I want to make sure that the GFCI breaker will not trip off when you plug in the new Grizzl-E unit"

Looks like he had similar issues when he installed earlier. Anyone else familiar with it?

Got the GrizzlE unit. Electrician is installing a NEMA 1450 outlet. I am assuming this the adapter I need to connect ?Gen 2 NEMA Adapters . No car yet:)
What do you want to connect? That’s the right adapter if you want to plug your mobile connector into the 14-50 receptacle. If you want to use your Grizzly charger you probably need a J1772 adapter.