Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can Teslacam And Music Folder In Same Thumb Drive?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone try to use the USB thumb drive with TeslaCam and Music folders in same fat32 format drive? The MX can only see the Camera Recording Icon but not the USB icon on the music screen. Anyone able to make both of them works on the same drive? What did I do wrong? I am using 128GB 3.1 USB drive.

I think it has to be two partitions.

As recommended on another thread here, I bought a decent USB SSD and split it into two FAT32 partitions, one for music and one for the dashcam.

It's only been a week and a half since I got the car, but it's been working perfectly so far.

The car will be overwriting the dashcam partition a lot, so an SSD is a better choice than a USB stick, though either should work.

I think it has to be two partitions.

As recommended on another thread here, I bought a decent USB SSD and split it into two FAT32 partitions, one for music and one for the dashcam.

It's only been a week and a half since I got the car, but it's been working perfectly so far.

The car will be overwriting the dashcam partition a lot, so an SSD is a better choice than a USB stick, though either should work.

Do you mean delete files on the dashcam images rather then overwriting partition?
How do you create fat32 for drive over 64GB? Windows format program does not allow it. How do you create separate partition using Windows 10 pc on one thumb drive? What kind and type of SSD do you get? Any link to buy on Amazon? I thought the thumb drive write speed is faster than SSD drive.

Do you mean delete files on the dashcam images rather then overwriting partition?
How do you create fat32 for drive over 64GB? Windows format program does not allow it. How do you create separate partition using Windows 10 pc on one thumb drive? What kind and type of SSD do you get? Any link to buy on Amazon? I thought the thumb drive write speed is faster than SSD drive.

SSDs are far faster than USB sticks in general for reading or writing, though in this application I think the car is restricted to USB 2.0, which limits you to a much lower speed than any SSD or most recent USB sticks can do.

The Windows default formatter limits you to 64 GB for FAT32, but that's not inherent to the format, Microsoft would just prefer you use something more modern for big drives so they created an artificial limit. Third party software on Windows and any Mac software including the built in disk manager will happily make much larger FAT32 partitions.

I picked this USB SSD for its "rugged" nature - not sure how much of that is real and how much is marketing, but it wasn't more expensive than the others and is working well:

ADATA SD600Q 480G 3D NAND USB3.2... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PJMGW13?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Reactions: MrTeaUSA
Reviving this thread with a different question pertaining to USB drives. I am using two different drives in my 2018 Model 3. One for Tesla Cam and the other USB drive for music only. Originally, I was using a USB flash drive and it showed "Favorites | Songs | Artists | Genre | Albums | Folders" as choices across the top of the USB dialog box. My USB flash got corrupted, so I replaced it with a micro SD card. I have two questions:

1. The "favorites" option has disappeared. Formerly, I could press the star icon to "favorite" specific songs off the USB music drive. This is so my wife could differentiate her favorites, from mine. She's more discerning, LOL. You can still press the star icon to highlight it for songs, but there doesn't seem to be any way to access just the favorites, now.
2. I added a couple of folders to my USB drive as a way to get around the above. I loaded all the songs my wife prefers into one of those folders, but when I select "folders" in the dialog box, none appear.

Anyone experience or solve the riddle of either question?

Reviving this thread with a different question pertaining to USB drives. I am using two different drives in my 2018 Model 3. One for Tesla Cam and the other USB drive for music only. Originally, I was using a USB flash drive and it showed "Favorites | Songs | Artists | Genre | Albums | Folders" as choices across the top of the USB dialog box. My USB flash got corrupted, so I replaced it with a micro SD card. I have two questions:

1. The "favorites" option has disappeared. Formerly, I could press the star icon to "favorite" specific songs off the USB music drive. This is so my wife could differentiate her favorites, from mine. She's more discerning, LOL. You can still press the star icon to highlight it for songs, but there doesn't seem to be any way to access just the favorites, now.
2. I added a couple of folders to my USB drive as a way to get around the above. I loaded all the songs my wife prefers into one of those folders, but when I select "folders" in the dialog box, none appear.

Anyone experience or solve the riddle of either question?
Yes, you can perform both duties on the same USB stick. But NOT if you format the drive in the car. Multiple partitions can only be set up on a separate PC (Windows, MacOS, or Linux), using the fdisk utility. Check the documentation for the proper use of fdisk.

I set up a 256 GB SSD stick with 16 GB partition for music, leaving 240 GB for TeslaCam. The “TeslaCam” directory must be at the top level of that drive. For music, there is no folder structure required, just drop the individual MP3 files into the top level of the drive. All of the Artists, albums, songs and any other sort structures come from the files themselves.

if you ever use the in-vehicle format command, the entire drive will become TeslaCam only. Your music collection will be gone.

I would not recommend using a micro-SD for this drive, they fail frequently, especially if you are using the same drive for TeslaCam. There is far too much writing activity from all the cameras that are recorded. Instead, find a high speed SSD stick or drive with something over 128 GB capacity. The drive that comes with the car is 128 GB, which is the minimum suggested for just TeslaCam. Therefore I started with a 256, split 16 and 240.

I‘ve never tried to favorite anything on the USB drive, so I have no advice. But I guess I would not expect that to be possible. It would require some type of database to indicate a favorite. I don’t think the player has any ability to write anything.

SSD has a lower operating temperature range. It may fail in hotter regions and the car is exposed under the sun for good period of time. SD can tolerate higher temperature, and the endurance series is designed for constant writes.

SSD has a lower operating temperature range. It may fail in hotter regions and the car is exposed under the sun for good period of time. SD can tolerate higher temperature, and the endurance series is designed for constant writes.
I've come a long way since my original post, here. And yes, I use a SanDisk 256GB High Endurance Video microSDXC Card with USB Adapter partitioned into two drives - one for the music the other for Teslacam and I've been running it this way since last July with nary a hiccough.