Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can the American power grid sustain EV adoption?

nwdiver

Feb 17, 2013
United States
So I challenge your stance on more taxes (even though we want the same outcome) & your retort is to bring up even more taxes. This conversation isn't going to go anywhere.

If people are throwing their trash in the street and you mandate garbage service to avoid that..... is that a tax or are you just removing a subsidy where they were able to externalize a cost?

Call it a carbon service instead of a carbon tax if you want then.... if someone puts 10 tons of carbon in the air they need to pay to have it removed.

Ostrichsak

Sep 6, 2018
Colorado, USA
If people are throwing their trash in the street and you mandate garbage service to avoid that..... is that a tax or are you just removing a subsidy where they were able to externalize a cost?

Call it a carbon service instead of a carbon tax if you want then.... if someone puts 10 tons of carbon in the air they need to pay to have it removed.
Your analogy isn't even remotely close to what I'm saying. In your scenario, is there a tax subsidy rewarding people to dump their trash in the street you can roll back? Seems like a pretty silly comparison.

We subsidize fuel, oil & the manufacturers who produce items that use them. Stopping that if you are against them is step one. How 'bout we start there?

Spending even more tax payer money to counteract misspent tax payer money isn't solving a damn other than guaranteeing higher taxes & more government dependency.

nwdiver

Feb 17, 2013
United States
We subsidize fuel, oil & the manufacturers who produce items that use them. Stopping that if you are against them is step one. How 'bout we start there?

.... for the same reason we're never going to get a fee for carbon service. It's a political non-starter. The only viable option is to bribe people to do the right thing.

CrazyRabbit

Apr 21, 2020
Fort Worth TX
actually, I'd like to see a law that forces landlords to install chargers (and they get 100% reimbursed by tax refunds or such, so its no cost to them) if the tenants request it, even if just one requests it.

I live in an apartment and I've asked the LL, and its basically like bambi in headlights; total stare back at me when I ask about getting chargers or even plugs installed. they couldn't care less. there is nothing to force them and if they have no 'vision' they wont put any time toward it.

right smack in the dead middle of silly valley; and my LL wont install chargers. there are teslas all over this complex, too. and when we still WENT to work, most of us did have l2 charging at work and life was good back in the old days... but for the last year and a half, few of us have been AT work and so we lose the benefit of at-work charging. I've had to use ONLY sc'ing and I hate doing that, but I have no other options.

the grid is fine. its people that are broken. (well, in texas, its both, but that's for another thread, lol)
tax pays should not pay for level two chargers to be installed. fix is easy, right now only power companies can bill for power usage. so pass a bill allowing for car chargers to bill based on usage... then chargers will start appearing all over.

side note or should i say back on topic. grid can't handle 100 conversion to all electric right now. i see battery/hydrogen (or some similar "fuel") fuel cell powered vehicles as the future. we need a way to store up to a weeks worth of fuel to keep the grid reliable, you can't do that with batteries... look at texas with 40GW of installed wind generation, we had rolling blackouts last winter. we had two days without any wind (and correctly forecasted to be zero), power from wind was going to be zero any way you look at it, freezing or no freezing.

Last edited:

nwdiver

Feb 17, 2013
United States
grid can't handle 100 conversion to all electric right now.

... if all ICE was magic'd into an EV literally 'right now' there might be a few small problems depending on how well charging sessions are manages but if we convert to ~100% electric over a few years that's more than enough time. The main constraints are local transmission and that's not too difficult to upgrade given several months to do it.

And for the ~100th time... the issue in Texas was that their gas turbines failed to meet their sole purpose in life. Had the turbines and their fuel source been winterized it would have been fine. Texas can merrily keep building out wind to reduce how many GWh of gas they use and keep adding GW of reliable gas turbines so the lights stay on even as the use of those turbines falls...

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC