Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can the app wake an MS without Internet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's the imaginary scenario - there is no Internet available, either to your phone or the car. The car has been parked and is asleep. Can you wake the car and even drive it just using Bluetooth and the app?

I tried this out if curiosity after the recent app glitch which was in the news. I turned WiFi and mobile data off on my phone, but left Bluetooth on. The car still had WiFi/mobile data access but it's not great where we are.

I was unable to get the app to wake the car.

If your Model S is anything older than the newest 2021 LR/Plaid models with the yoke, then the simple answer is no.

All communication between the app and the car is from the phone/tablet to Tesla servers and then Tesla server to your car, both via internet, either wireless or cellular. That is why many recommend to not fully rely upon your phone as a key as there can be multiple scenarios where either the car or your device cannot communicate with Tesla server, or Tesla server is down.

If you have a Model 3, Y, or the newest Model S that uses keycard/bluetooth, then yes, you can unlock/drive the car without internet connection as this uses a bluetooth connection direct form your device to the car.

• Informative
Reactions: David29
If your Model S is anything older than the newest 2021 LR/Plaid models with the yoke, then the simple answer is no.

All communication between the app and the car is from the phone/tablet to Tesla servers and then Tesla server to your car, both via internet, either wireless or cellular. That is why many recommend to not fully rely upon your phone as a key as there can be multiple scenarios where either the car or your device cannot communicate with Tesla server, or Tesla server is down.

If you have a Model 3, Y, or the newest Model S that uses keycard/bluetooth, then yes, you can unlock/drive the car without internet connection as this uses a bluetooth connection direct form your device to the car.
That is what I expected to be confirmed. Thanks for the clafification.

I live in an area with very spotty cell reception and regularly park, walk away, get back in and drive off. In my experience, it only needs bluetooth to unlock and "permit" you to drive. If I'm trying to adjust the temp, etc. from my phone, it will often timeout but I have no problems unlocking, waking the car and driving with no cell reception.

I live in an area with very spotty cell reception and regularly park, walk away, get back in and drive off. In my experience, it only needs bluetooth to unlock and "permit" you to drive. If I'm trying to adjust the temp, etc. from my phone, it will often timeout but I have no problems unlocking, waking the car and driving with no cell reception.
And you don't drive a new MS or a 3/Y?

That's interesting - is there any logic behind this? The cellular signal is pretty bad at the best of times!
The car has a phone number. The server calls the phone number to initiate contact. If the car can set up a WiFi connection it will switch the connection to WiFi.
If the car is sleeping there is no WiFi connection. Only an incoming phone call can wake it up.

The car has a phone number. The server calls the phone number to initiate contact. If the car can set up a WiFi connection it will switch the connection to WiFi.
If the car is sleeping there is no WiFi connection. Only an incoming phone call can wake it up.
Lol, no. All connectivity is data/websockets based. Nothing is dialing any phone numbers.

There’s no reason why initial connectivity couldn’t happen over wifi. I’m actually skeptical of the claim that it can’t, but have no proof of such.

Also, the car does maintain a wifi connection when sleeping.

Lol, no. All connectivity is data/websockets based. Nothing is dialing any phone numbers.

There’s no reason why initial connectivity couldn’t happen over wifi. I’m actually skeptical of the claim that it can’t, but have no proof of such.

Also, the car does maintain a wifi connection when sleeping.
The Tesla server uses SMS to "ping" your car. The car isn't a server that can accept inbound requests via WiFi. I'm guessing Tesla does it that way for security reasons, to prevent someone from hacking your car.

My Model S retains a WiFi connection when sleeping, but my wife's Model 3 does not.

What if you set your phone up as a hotspot. Have the vehicle authenticate your phone's hotspot. Prior to exiting the vehicle, set up the wifi to use your phone hotspot. When you arrive back to your vehicle, you should have access via the app to your vehicle. Just a thought.

The Tesla server uses SMS to "ping" your car. The car isn't a server that can accept inbound requests via WiFi. I'm guessing Tesla does it that way for security reasons, to prevent someone from hacking your car.

My Model S retains a WiFi connection when sleeping, but my wife's Model 3 does not.
SMS is a completely different ball-game; SMS messages can get through even when mobile broadband is stalled. Though I'm not sure an SMS would get through to an underground car park several levels down...