Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can the aux power under the armrest be set to turf off?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a dashcam that I hooked up to the cigarette lighter port under the armrest. The problem is that this port appears to be always on and therefore the dashcam doesn't turn off. In my previous vehicle, the power would turn off when I turned off the car and therefore the dashcam would turn off and stop recording. Is there a setting that can control the power setting?

I'm tempted to install one of these USB switched hubs where I could just press the button to turn off the specific dashcam connection.

The console power port stays powered until the car sleeps. Walk away lock and the car will sleep shortly after. Originally the power port powered off immediately but this changed in a software update quite a while ago. I thought about switching it as well but just left it as is. Works fine and covers a few minutes after you walk away.

I stayed around the car for about 10 mins and it was still recording and sentry mode was off.

Wait until your car is asleep, then see if the dashcam is on. It will not.

My dashcam runs through its boot-up sequence in the morning when I open the door. The car was asleep, the car woke up when I opened the door, followed by activation of the dashcam. Therefore, the 12V is off when the car is asleep.

I believe you that it will eventually go to sleep but it just seems to take a long time while it needlessly records and fills up the SDcard. I have sentry turned off while at home but everywhere else it is active so the dashcam will continue recording as the car wouldn't be going into sleep. I still wish there was a way to control the 12V aux & USB port power in the car when it is parked and 'off'.

Hmm, it is unclear what your concern is. You want the car to sleep sooner when it is at home, correct? When you are not at home, then Sentry is always running, like you said, so you are okay when the car does not sleep in this situation. If car is at home, and Sentry is disabled, the dashcam part will only keep the past hour of video so it should not fill up your SD card. It'll delete the oldest minute or something when it records a new minute. When you're talking about an external dashcam, in my experience, it's going to keep recording until the SD card is full, then it deletes the oldest recording while it writes a new one. I have one myself connected to the 12V port I haven't had any issues with sleeping. It takes somewhere between 10-20 minutes to enter sleep mode.

Hmm, it is unclear what your concern is. You want the car to sleep sooner when it is at home, correct? When you are not at home, then Sentry is always running, like you said, so you are okay when the car does not sleep in this situation. If car is at home, and Sentry is disabled, the dashcam part will only keep the past hour of video so it should not fill up your SD card. It'll delete the oldest minute or something when it records a new minute. When you're talking about an external dashcam, in my experience, it's going to keep recording until the SD card is full, then it deletes the oldest recording while it writes a new one. I have one myself connected to the 12V port I haven't had any issues with sleeping. It takes somewhere between 10-20 minutes to enter sleep mode.

My concern is when I'm not at home, it will keep recording indefinitely and needlessly use up battery plus wear down my SD card when I'd prefer to have my dashcam stop recording when I'm not there. I only put the dashcam up as it's a higher video quality than the built-in tesla cameras but I only need it to record actual driving.