Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can the brakes be upgraded to a BBK?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

AMPd

Nov 27, 2012
Fort Worth, TX
Depending on the size of the current brakes I was wondering if it's possible to upgrade to something like brembo big brake kit?
or are the brakes tesla specific and cannot be upgraded

Reason I ask is potential weight savings + better stopping distance

Depending on the size of the current brakes I was wondering if it's possible to upgrade to something like brembo big brake kit?
or are the brakes tesla specific and cannot be upgraded

Reason I ask is potential weight savings + better stopping distance

I guess the question is: Do we know that Tesla doesn't already provide the BBK as OE? We know that the Model S has a short stopping distance.

Ok, 108ft is shorter than my Maranello... Do you really need to stop a 4700lb car in under 108? Judging by the size of the rotors and past experience with Brembo, I doubt you are going to have a fade problem.

The above being said, sometimes you just gotta mess with stuff. There are several sources for floating rotor hats at which point you can pick anything you want for rotors. If unsprung is your concern, you can go for a sprint package and dump a bunch of weight. Drilled looks nice and that can even be done on the stocks.

Funny how something so important and, frankly, unheard of has flown under the radar. The brakes are amazing and the ability to work with so much rear brake bias is phenomenal. It kinda makes me rethink the whole rear negative camber issue. Removing some to increase tire life may make threshold braking a bit more interesting :)

Has anyone noticed that the brakes dust like crazy? For a car whose brakes are hardly ever used due to regen, I am getting a ton of dust. Makes me think they are using a pad like BMW or Mercedes which can't be driven more than a block without soiling the rims. I hope Tesla has chosen some existing pad fitment so that there will be some aftermarket choices for less dusty pads.

Other than looks, the size of the brakes may not be the limiting factor in stopping distance. Can the car lock it's brakes? If so, tire traction is a limiting factor and not the brakes. I have never braked a Model S in a racing environment so I can't really speculate on this. I'm sure lolachampcar has much more experience than I do, but the sizing of brakes also considers other factors such as duty cycle - larger brakes are able to absorb more heat and are able to stop consistently on a repeated basis (as in racing). However, larger rotors also add rotational inertia, which is the enemy of efficiency. As lolachampcar alludes to, pad material is probably a better modification than physically larger brakes (or ceramic brakes, which in many cases brake worse than standard ones when cold).

This thread has taught me that the Model S comes with great brakes in stock edition. And I love this statement: "... sometimes you gotta mess with stuff". Tell that to my wife and she'll tell you that describes me well, even when things are working great I wanna change, rebuild, redo, improve on it (computers, house, appliances, cars, you name it). In other words, not a firm believer of "It if ain't broke don't try to fix it". But were would be if we never "messed with stuff?" :)