TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Can the cable be removed from the charger?

Discussion in 'Model 3: Battery & Charging' started by Biscuitman, Oct 24, 2019.

1. Biscuitman

Biscuitman Member

Not sure I want to leave the 24 ‘ cable attached to the charger so was wondering .

2. glide

glide Active Member

It cannot be removed.

And I’ll bite. Why would you even want to remove it?

• Love x 1
  3. Biscuitman

Biscuitman Member

It will be on the outside of my house and was thinking if it was removable I would put it inside when away for extended periods of time . Since it is not removable I guess theft is not an issue:)

4. miimura

miimura Well-Known Member

If copper wiring theft is common in your area, you could mount the whole thing in a locking metal box with the cable coiled inside. That could also protect it from winter weather.

However, I suspect you're over thinking it.

• Like x 2
  5. glide

glide Active Member

Mine is located in the city, on the outside of my house, facing the street, and has survived several northeast winters.

You could always get the plug-in version of the wall connector or make your own. That way you could just bring the entire unit inside if you will be away for a long stretch.

• Like x 1
  6. srs5694

srs5694 Active Member

I can say much the same; I bought my Clipper Creek HCS-40 EVSE in late 2016, for the Chevy Volt I'd begun leasing, and it's installed outside, in clear view of the street. Thus, I've had it for about three years with no problems, other than occasionally finding my car unplugged, which I assume was the work of local high school students playing pranks. (I live a few blocks down the street from the local high school.) This unplugging behavior has happened about half a dozen times in total, so it's not been common; and of course Teslas, unlike Chevy Volts, lock their charge ports, so it's not happened since I replaced my Volt with my Model 3, about six months ago.

A question for @Biscuitman: Are you talking about the Tesla Wall Connector or the Mobile Connector that comes with the car? The former carries a NEMA 3R weather rating, meaning that it's safe to install outdoors in the rain or snow. The Mobile Connector carries no such rating. Although I've seen reports from people who've used it outdoors for months or even years without problems, I've also seen reports of failures when it's been used in that way. Personally, I wouldn't risk it except by mounting it in a NEMA 3R or NEMA 4 enclosure. If the enclosure has a lock, that would also deter theft. Short of such an enclosure or other measures, a Mobile Connector that was plugged into a wall outlet but not plugged into the car would be very easy to steal. That's another reason to favor a Wall Connector for outdoor use, since most Wall Connectors are hard-wired and thus harder to steal.

7. rrolsbe

rrolsbe Member

From reading the forums, this is what I have learned regarding this topic. The Tesla HPWC does have a field serviceable cable but it is something you would only do if the cable broke or was vandalized. They also have a 24 foot version of the cable that evidently has a 80A J1772 interface at the car end. I have not been able to find a source to purchase either of these field serviceable replacement cables. I suppose you could cut the 24 foot cable close to the wall charger and install a waterproof male/female twist lock inline which would allow for the quick removal of the 24 foot cable. If anyone has direct experience with the 24 foot cable or has a source to purchase either flavor of the cable, please post to this forum thread. Another quick question, is the warranty period of the HPWC really only one year?

Thanks Much
    Regard, Ron

8. Biscuitman

Biscuitman Member

i am installing the Tesla wall connector so it looks like all will be well.
    Thanks for the good info.