TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Can the federal tax credit be claimed under a different name than CA tax rebate?

Discussion in 'Model 3: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by MX1000, Aug 20, 2018.

1. MX1000

MX1000 Member

I am curious whether anyone has done this? The car will be under two family members. However, due to the primary person not meeting the income limit for the CA tax rebate, I am wondering whether the federal tax credit filing can be under one name and the state rebate be under the name of the other registered owner, whose income would qualify for CA rebate? I would think the two don’t have anything to do with one another but if anyone has experience with this or knows the best way to get both the federal and state, I would appreciate it.

2. Eno Deb

Eno Deb Member

The CVRP rebate requires that the name of the applicant must be listed on all provided documentation (i.e. vehicle purchase agreement, registration and driver's license). As long as that is the case, I don't see why this shouldn't be possible. BTW, the CVRP really has nothing to do with taxes (state or federal). If approved you'll receive a rebate check.

3. SoCalGuy

SoCalGuy Active Member

I think CVRP has an income limit which is why OP wants to have two different owners use the two different programs (cvrp and fed tax credit)

4. Eno Deb

Eno Deb Member

Yes, but the rebate still has nothing to do with taxes. The CVRP may require income verification, but otherwise the rebate is simply a purchase rebate that does not appear on any tax forms or the like (in contrast to the federal tax credit which needs to be claimed via the tax return).