TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Can the in-car browser save passwords?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Brightonuk, Apr 22, 2015.

1. Brightonuk

Brightonuk Member

Can you save passwords to sites
    IE Hotmail, I use as my personal email but have to enter a name and password every time I try to log on.
    That said sometimes I cant even get the keyboard to appear when I hit the password box.

2. kevinf311

kevinf311 Member

In my limited use, the car browser seems to clear cookies at power-off. I have to tell Full Screen Weather that it's ok to use my location each time I pull it. Maybe some other folks will have more insight into storing creds.

3. mibaro2

mibaro2 Member

The browser can save passwords (like to TMC ) or plugshare. But anytime you reboot the center console, it wipes the saved passwords out.

The prompt for "allowing to use your location" is not so much a saving password issue. (there is no spot to put in a password). I think you would get that same message on your desktop computer.

- - - Updated - - -

I have driven weeks without having to reenter my passwords to those sites. So in my case it doesn't wipe the passwords when the car powers off.

4. kevinf311

kevinf311 Member

That's possible. I tend to choose "Never allow" when I'm prompted for locale aware sites so this is my first foray into the positive response side of that question :p

5. green1

green1 Active Member

My desktop remembers that setting for each site that requests it, as does my cell phone, if the Tesla does not, that would become irritating quickly.

6. ThosEM

ThosEM Space Weatherman

Definitely does become annoying and irritating. It would also be smart to provide an option to forgo the check for location services permission.

7. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

What Tesla really needs to do is open up the car to third party apps and let Google or Apple adapt their browsers to work in the Model S. Tesla should not be spending any time making the current in-car browser any better.

8. PaulusdB

PaulusdB Mayor Gnomus Vintage Limb

Nor on the sat nav.

9. sorka

sorka Active Member

I find it annoying that not only are cookies deleted with reboots but that cookies, passwords, and bookmarks are not profile specific. Not only that, but profiles should be based on your tesla account and when you get a loaner, Tesla should sign you into your account with your loaner and all your driver profile settings including your browser cookies, passwords, and bookmarks should all be there.

Using a Tesla should be like signing into a Chromebook. It doesn't matter what chromebook you use. All your stuff is there regardless because it's synced to the cloud.

Failing all that, does anyone know of any web proxy rendering services that can do all the heavy lifting and store cookies and such and simply render html to the Tesla browser?

Teslaapps.net seems to have tried doing something like this but when I emailed them to ask them some questions about their service, they never responded. I think they might be out of business.

10. green1

green1 Active Member

Now THAT would be awesome, get in your wife's car, a loaner, buy a new car, use a friend's, whatever, you get in, login, and the seat and mirrors already know how to be set up, the screens set themselves to your favourite setup, the right music comes on, and you drive it just like it had been yours for years.

There's actually no reason Tesla couldn't implement this relatively easily (though I'm sure it's a very long way down their priority list)

11. Canuck

Canuck Active Member

Does anyone else notice that the passwords are not held as long with the latest firmware? I used to only have to re-enter passwords when the car updated. After the last update, I have to do it about every other day on my 2014 non-AP S85.

12. FloridaGary

FloridaGary Member

What websites are all of you logging into on your Model S? I haven't found a need to use any website other than livetesla and I certainly can't think of any password protected site I would need while driving my car. Any suggestions?

13. Canuck

Canuck Active Member

Google calendar, hotmail, telus webmail, this forum, other forums, NissanEV connect (to monitor my Leaf), etc. I spend a lot of time in traffic and I can't be touching my phone. It's funny because many days when I have to go to downtown Vancouver, the traffic can be stop and go on many places along the highway, and the cops often hide then walk out into the stopped traffic and point to people using their phones to pull over (esp. on the 99 after the tunnel and before the Oak St. bridge). The other day, one walked right by me, watched me typing an email on my screen, looked at me, likely thought about it, but then pointed to a person in another car he had come out to get using his phone. "I was defrosting the window officer!"

14. pjw65

pjw65 Member

I bought my car two weeks ago (it's a 5/2015 S85 with ap and fw 7.1 / 2.12.126).

Parking the car and coming back, I had to login to the pages again. It's very annoying.
    Anyone else with the same problem or a solution (I rebooted both consoles)?

15. Tree95

Tree95 Member

Yes, every other poster in this thread

• Like x 1
  16. pjw65

pjw65 Member

Changing the settings to switch off energy saving (Controls > Displays > POWER MANAGEMENT) helps, that during the day the login is persistent (because no energy saving during day).
    But next day it's gone (because even with energy saving off, it's going to save energy during night).

In Short: Energy saving = remove login / cookies

17. ThosEM

ThosEM Space Weatherman

That needs to be fixed...

18. GlmnAlyAirCar

GlmnAlyAirCar Member

Strange. I entered my plugshare password last June when I got my 70D and have never had to enter it again.

19. Chrisizzle

Chrisizzle Member

I use hotmail and my car would hold the password for a week (plus or minus). It seemed to be random when it would require me to log in again. The second last firmware update did make me log in every time. I haven't tried since.

I will note one other thing. I used to have a heck of a time even logging into hotmail. The keyboard did not automatically appear when clicking the password text box. I wasn't sure if this was a flaw or Tesla's way of saying "don't do this". I'd have to tap dozens of time and the keyboard would come up maybe 10% of the time.