Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can the Model S disturb a charging station?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At my work I always use the same public charging station, installed in a public parking by the local energy company.
I have used it for more then a year now, with my roadster and my two Renault Zoe without any problem.

When I tried to use it with my new Model S the problems started. The door for the type 2 socket opens with a personal card. I think it is a RFID card you hold in front of the socket and after some seconds it upend up.

Now, I have not controlled that scientifically, but it seems to me that when I park with the model S forward and come very close to the station, it does not work. It just says temporally unavailable. It seems to me that when parking backwards and when using my Zoes or the roadster it works fine. Is this a coincidence or is it technically possible that the front of the Model S disturbs the station? Am I silly?

I asked the provider and they have no idea they just say that they will try to change the modem and put a bigger antenna in the charging station.

Thoughts?

Some interference is certainly possible. If the car were big enough that it created just the wrong amount of signal reflection, or signal blockage, it could create a problem. It may be the car's cellular connection that creates problems for the charging station.