TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Can the Model Y tow?

Discussion in 'Model Y' started by Phil Seastrand, Mar 8, 2019.

1. Phil Seastrand

Any speculation on if the Model Y will be able to tow and how much weight?

2. Misterbee

Misterbee Member

No one knows for sure, but I think the answer will be yes.

3. Zoomit

Zoomit Active Member

I’ll speculate a tow hitch and connector package will be available for the LR version only and likely packaged with air suspension. Max tow load somewhere around 3000 lbs, maybe a little more.

• Like x 1
  4. 11thIndian

11thIndian Member

If it can, it will surely be less than the Model X, which is 5000lbs I believe.

5. ratsbew

ratsbew Member

Yes. Hopefully standard, and hopefully 5,000 pounds. I would never need to rent a moving truck again if I can tow a trailer.

6. Swampgator

Swampgator Active Member

BMW X5 can tow max 6600 pounds.
    Model Y will be able to tow at least 3500 hopefully 5000.

7. Nuclear Fusion

More importantly, will it blend?

• Funny x 3
    • Informative x 1
  8. Phil Seastrand

I need a minimum of 4500 lbs or it's no-go for me.

9. Zoomit

Zoomit Active Member

With a 75kWh EV?

I hope your load is aerodynamic or you don’t want to go far or both.

• Helpful x 2
    • Like x 2
  10. Webeevdrivers

Webeevdrivers Active Member

Im in the RV business. A lot of folks pulling smaller tent trailers or Rpods etc camp within 70 or 80 km of home. Very common in a province like BC. Don’t have to go far for excellent camping in this province. Small trailers like this weigh between 2000 and 3000 pounds. Something like a Sylvan go weighs a thousand. A fishing boat weighs about the same. 4000 pounds of towing is quite useful.

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
  11. Phil Seastrand

I need to tow a 22' ski boat, but only about 7 miles from storage to the lake. I need capacity, not range.

12. vjason

vjason Member

Same here. Unfortunately if they require a higher spec Y to tow that will kill the deal for me.

I paid $3K used for the 2000 Silverado I use to tow our boat a few years ago. I could resell today for what I paid for it thanks to insane truck prices, but I don't need a $50K replacement for it (and another vehicle I would get rid of as well).

I want to support Tesla but if they can't be reasonable on the low end vehicle capabilities I have to look elsewhere or keep using what I have.

• Like x 1
  13. Swampgator

Swampgator Active Member

If you think they will compete with a 3K beater I'm sorry to say you will be very disappointed.

• Like x 3
    • Disagree x 1
    • Funny x 1
  14. Uncle Paul

Uncle Paul Active Member

With the X, Tesla decided that it was necessary to have air suspension to provide good towing performance and safety.

Perhaps towing with the Model Y will need the air suspension as well.

The air suspension might not come out at first, but become an option later.

If the Y develops air suspension, I imagine that they will also begin to offer it as an option for the Model 3, as they are quite similar, and share many parts.

15. 11thIndian

11thIndian Member

Our primary use will be a 3xBike rack- so no issues there. Recently I've started looking at those cute teardrop campers, but those come in between 1,000-1,500lbs.

No matter what, some people will be disappointed with the towing limit. I just don't see how Tesla matches the Model X for capacity.

16. Zoomit

Zoomit Active Member

Air suspension was part of the original Model 3 design as seen in the CAD view during the 2016 reveal. I suspect they removed it from the design to simplify it for faster 3 production but included air suspension in the Y development. I agree they’ll add it to the 3, and probably release it as a demand lever later this year.

17. vjason

vjason Member

Compete against a beater, no. That being said there are plenty of sub or near 20K vehicles that can tow even 5K pounds and seat 4-5 people. Yeah they are ICE, but this is simply a price comparison.

That being said, I get it. Towing anything more than a bike rack is ultimately a fringe use case as boats and campers aren't something the average customer owns. I'm just posting my wish list, which I realize is hopeful thinking.

I'm just not looking to pay $50K to spec the Y to tow a measley 3K pounds (assuming air suspension and dual motors). Not saying it wouldn't be worth it from a "I really like this vehicle" point of view, but from a price point of view.

• Like x 3
  18. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

I believe it will have a tow option available immediately, it will be something like 4,000 lbs max tow weight, 400 lbs max tongue weight, and use the same Bosal hitch that is provided with the Model X tow option.

A Dual Motor Y will have plenty of torque, not as much as the X but likely over 300 ft lbs, so it will have decent towing capability. The question will be what will the range be when towing a medium size trailer. The experience of those towing with an X shows that range is reduced by 30% to over 50% depending on the size and shape of the trailer (the weight of the trailer has little impact on towing range except when you are going uphill).

I expect the rated range of a Dual Motor Model Y will be about the same as the X100D.

And I expect the Y will launch only in a Dual Motor version. There may be a RWD version after that, but I wouldn’t count on it.

• Like x 1
  19. Atari2600

Atari2600 Member

Four of these rear motors in a Tesla semi will tow 80,000 lbs yet one in a model Y will tow under 5,000? Let’s ignore the front motor.

I understand the model 3 frame is really strong so is it the battery?

• Like x 1
  20. reardencode

reardencode Member

Battery, suspension, cooling, possibly other components.

• Like x 2