Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can the Model Y tow?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

as delivery/shipping inches closer, we'll likely assess whether a towing option is there for the initial model release. Ideally, we'd have the option at delivery. Minimally, we'd want an approved way to retrofit. I'd be grumbly if my reservation price jumped, but would probably eat that to get the hitch. That's a sweet setup, @bpjod -- but our scenario is a bit specific. A tandem bicycle is already more than a minor hassle on a regular car roof rack -- on a slightly taller vehicle (Y vs. 3) things get to be even more of a hassle. There are options and creative ways, but the simplest for our needs has always been a rear, hitch rack. Unfortunate that something as seemingly simple as a receiver hitch could actually prevent us from making the jump -- but those are the cards.

I use a hitch mounted bike rack on my SUV and on the back of our travel trailer (which is why we still own an ICE SUV) so I understand the desire for a hitch for the bike rack.View attachment 405843 However I'm glad I didn't let that stop me from getting the Model 3 without a hitch. When going solo I simply toss my bike (either road or 29" MTB) in the trunk. When going with my boys the Sea Sucker Bomber does the trick. It's as fast to mount as my hitch rack and works great.

Wondered how well a 29er fit in the trunk of the M3.......was really wondering how well it will fit in a Y. I have an X and like the ability to through it in the back. You think the Y will be similarly easy?

Wondered how well a 29er fit in the trunk of the M3.......was really wondering how well it will fit in a Y. I have an X and like the ability to through it in the back. You think the Y will be similarly easy?

Here are my steps for putting the 29r in the back:
  1. Remove lid for under trunk storage space.
  2. Fold down rear seats.
  3. Put packing blanket in back to protect from mud and scratches. If your bike is not muddy when you're done riding, you're not doing it right (or you live in a desert) :cool:. IMPORTANT: leave edge of blanket hanging over the back of the car. The car's paint and the spikes on the pedals do not mix well. Yes, I did that :oops:.
  4. Remove front wheel.
  5. Drop seat if you have a dropper seatpost, else remove seat (smaller bikes might not require this step, but it still makes things easier).
  6. Slide bike into trunk, rear wheel in first, drivetrain side up.
  7. Left end of handlebar goes down into the under trunk storage space.
  8. Put front wheel, helmet, pump, etc. in trunk, close up and go!
I think the Y will be easier because of a much larger opening to put the bike into, although maybe the 3rd row seating might mess this up. We'll know more when pictures of the trunk and folded down seats start to appear.

After taking an eight-week trip with my M3 towing a teardrop trailer, it’s pretty clear to me that the 3 can tow, and the Y probably will too. It may not be for everyone, but it can be done. At this moment, I suspect Tesla is not releasing towing specs because they would likely cannibalize some Model X sales.

A big issue with towing is the aerodynamic drag. Even a teardrop trailer, that has flat sides will create lots of drag at speed.

That is why a real teardrop design, like Bolus can pull a much heavier trailer, with greater range than a much smaller teardrop with flat sides.

A big issue with towing is the aerodynamic drag. Even a teardrop trailer, that has flat sides will create lots of drag at speed.

That is why a real teardrop design, like Bolus can pull a much heavier trailer, with greater range than a much smaller teardrop with flat sides.
Yeah, I don’t think anyone will be pulling a Bolus with a M3 anytime soon.

My experience with towing a teardrop with the M3 is that you lose about 1/3 of the range. More if you leadfoot it, or do a lot of climbing. Works great for me. We pull into an RV park, charge over night, leave with a full charge in the morning. 200 miles usually gets us to a supercharger, where we stop and make lunch while we charge. Then it’s on to the next RV park. We left home on April 11th, have been all over CA, AZ, NM, TX, UT, NV. 6000 miles and counting....

Attachments

• 79E3E6CE-B8C6-45A9-B08D-2CEFE01A53C9.jpeg
    79E3E6CE-B8C6-45A9-B08D-2CEFE01A53C9.jpeg
    619.1 KB · Views: 146
What is the weight of that trailer?

Regarding Elon’s comment about the truck being able to tow at least as much as an F-150, makes me think they aren’t releasing a number (for it and Model Y) because they have something in the works that makes them think they will be able to improve it between now and when they actually start delivering them. He has said numerous times that they think they can deliver the Semi and I think the Roadster with better specs than they originally revealed. Also the recent unlocking of 5% more power in model 3 would support the idea that they start conservative and study the results and expand if possible.

Reactions: Ulmo
What is the weight of that trailer?

Regarding Elon’s comment about the truck being able to tow at least as much as an F-150, makes me think they aren’t releasing a number (for it and Model Y) because they have something in the works that makes them think they will be able to improve it between now and when they actually start delivering them. He has said numerous times that they think they can deliver the Semi and I think the Roadster with better specs than they originally revealed. Also the recent unlocking of 5% more power in model 3 would support the idea that they start conservative and study the results and expand if possible.
The trailer weighs 1200 lbs., and has a tongue weight of 140 lbs. The Stealthitch is rated for towing 2500, with a maximum tongue weight of 200 lbs.

I agree that they don’t want people holding off buying a car now, and waiting for the next car that will have a tow rating. Similarly, the X makes a great tow vehicle, and Tesla would rather you buy that than the 3, as it’s better for the bottom line.

I currently have a Ford Edge, about the same size as the Y I'm guessing. The Edge has a 3500lbs tow capacity. I would assume the Y would have at least that if not 4000lbs. Obviously Im hoping it is 4000lbs.
We have an RV trailer that is 3200lbs, and I would love if the Y could pull it. Id love to be able to travel, and not spend a fortune on gas. "Charge while we are at the camp site would make it even cheaper."

I would really like something that can tow an Airstream Basecamp, which weighs 2600 lbs.
And that’s empty weight. With partially full fresh/grey/black water tanks and some stuff inside you will probably have a weight of more like 3,000 lbs. For a lot less money you can get a 17 ft Safari Condo Alto trailer with more room inside and it is 1,000 lbs lighter, see Alto – Lightweight Travel Trailers | Safari Condo and A “Safari Condo” is not an apartment in the Serengeti…

The Model X is rated at 5,000 lbs. tow capacity and I would expect a dual motor Y to do between 3,500 and 5,000.
The fact that the Model 3 tow option is only rated at 2,000 lbs is disappointing and I hope the Y will be at least 3,000 lbs. But since the 3 and Y drivetrain are very likely going to be exactly the same (I would bet on it) I expect the Y tow rating will be the same as the 3.

I expect the rated range of a Dual Motor Model Y will be about the same as the X100D.

And I expect the Y will launch only in a Dual Motor version. There may be a RWD version after that, but I wouldn’t count on it.
Reviving this thread to note that as of now it appears the Y will launch as Dual Motor only and the rated range is now shown as 315 miles, pretty close to the current X range of 328.

As far as I know, still no more info from Tesla about Model Y towing capability. Nothing about towing in the specs at the bottom of the Model Y page Model Y | Tesla

We don’t know what the Y frontal area is but it is likely very close to the X, so towing range should be almost the same. After 45K miles my 2017 X100D now shows around 276 at 100% charge (was 285 when new). A Y will likely tow my trailer at least as far as my X currently can. I do like smaller cars...

Well, the current Model Y owner's manual says the Y is not equipped for towing. Color me disappointed. I plan on delaying taking delivery of my Model Y until towing is an available OEM option. Otherwise I might as well just wait for the warranty to run out on my Model 3 and add a hidden hitch to it.