Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can the new, annoying "connect to wifi" message be turned off?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Barry

Aug 9, 2013
Colorado
Since the last firmware update, I've been getting a "you should connect to wifi for future important updates" (or something along those lines) message on the 17" screen. I park in a concrete parking garage and there is no wifi there. Is there a way to stop this message from appearing?

Since the last firmware update, I've been getting a "you should connect to wifi for future important updates" (or something along those lines) message on the 17" screen. I park in a concrete parking garage and there is no wifi there. Is there a way to stop this message from appearing?
Worst case, can you park at a McDonald's or Starbucks and connect to their wifi temporarily?

Yes. With the following steps.

Create a wifi network where you normally park your car.

Join it with your car.

Change the wifi network name to something else.

Now when you park at home your car will always look for the wifi name you joined earlier.

I discovered this accidentally because I changed the name of our wifi network a few months ago then I did a network scan to troubleshoot why one of our solar inverters was not talking to the network and I noticed that our car wasn't on the network.

It has received over the air updates with out being on the wifi so I just let it off our network.

Just to be clear, I do get cellular service in the garage, so I am getting updates. It's the annoying message about connecting to wifi I want to get rid of.

The shadows - there is no wifi down there, so how do I create a wifi network? are you suggesting tethering my phone to the car?

Just to be clear, I do get cellular service in the garage, so I am getting updates. It's the annoying message about connecting to wifi I want to get rid of.

The shadows - there is no wifi down there, so how do I create a wifi network? are you suggesting tethering my phone to the car?

That would be one way. This isn't new, it happened when I first got the car 2.5 years ago (although I recall it was a popup). Once you connect it will go away. (Actually, I'd prefer it if it asked if you wanted to connect when it sees a signal the way the iPhone does.) The Navigon update is said to only go over WiFi, although there have been reports that it comes over the phone connection. I have yet to get my first Navigon update.

Yes. With the following steps.

Create a wifi network where you normally park your car.

Join it with your car.

Change the wifi network name to something else.

Now when you park at home your car will always look for the wifi name you joined earlier.

I discovered this accidentally because I changed the name of our wifi network a few months ago then I did a network scan to troubleshoot why one of our solar inverters was not talking to the network and I noticed that our car wasn't on the network.

It has received over the air updates with out being on the wifi so I just let it off our network.

I did the same thing myself. I wasn't bugged again.